Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

Update: Katie to the rescue! My promo is on its way to me now! Yaaay! Thank you @KatieBT !

Wanting to make a purchase which is $1 off from GWP buy-in and there aren't any sharpeners or other add-ons 😞

The anastasia 4pan eyeshadow palettes are $1 🙂

or need an add-on to avoid shipping charges...

YouTube sponsored pr packaging/products. I'm getting so annoyed by the the nice packaging these pr products are coming in. Like wait🤔. Hold up. I'm spending my hard earned cash on these products but influencers are getting different packaging and exclusive sets for free. For what? They rave about the products to drive up sales and then bash the brand a few videos later. The one that annoyed me the most is the nyx/farsali pr box that's only for these ppl. Like huh?!! How is this going to make me what to buy crap from these brands. I'm over it. 

Agreed @misscg!  To be honest sometimes it looks like companies put more into crafting the PR package than the packaging of the product itself or marketing outside of YouTubers. 

I've seen YouTubers unbox PR packages & note how much they know the product is good because the company sends the best PR packages 🙄.  Granted, I take YTer recommendations as a grain of salt especially now but it's still annoying

One one hand, I understand the companies. The best way to get your product out there is to give away samples, and hope that positive word of mouth spreads. However, when influencers are pushed to publish positive reviews it makes both sides look dishonest. And it's easy to see the good in a product when it's free vs dropping $40 for it. 

BUT just because its raved about doesn't mean it's bad. I like Morphe. The palettes I've tried are much better quality as those noname eyeshadow palettes on Ebay IMO. I also bought most the Elite Collection brushes & really enjoy them. And I google discount codes when I see something interesting enough to buy. 

I'm at the point now I just buy whatever I want and see for myself. LIke the new becca palette,so many ppl are raving about it. But I swatched it in store and it was ok, nothing completely unique. Same with the Nicole Anastasia palette. On the flip no one raves about the natural love too faced palette and I really like it. 

It just seems like these companies are more focused on competing with each other over influencer praise than the actual consumer. This is why I really like it when Sephora does the gratis for BT. For the most part we're just regular ppl who love makeup and have no stake or anything to really gain by giving fake or hyped up reviews.

@misscgYeah you're absolutely right. I trust y'all waaay more than any YTer or blogger. And when a new product sells out in 5 minutes but those pr packages never run out, it makes me wonder who the priority should be. I work hard for my money but us customers seem to be an afterthought. 

Amen. I get why these companies are essentially "sucking up" to beauty influencers but come on.. It's hard to watch without rolling my eyes. 

I remember watching Emily Noel on YT talk about how she feels this way, even when she's a beauty influencer herself. I believe she questioned the credibility and validity behind beauty influencers' "honest reviews" after getting huge, extremely well-packaged PR. 

I think for up and coming brands it makes sense to do pr to get the brand out there. But for well established brands, it makes no sense anymore. There's only a few you tubers I kind of "trust" their opinion and it's not the well known ones either anymore lol. 

**oops.. I blabbered a lot for a fairly simple story.. I'm more amused than peeved by this experience, but I thought I'd share anyways!

Spoiler
I was at Nordstroms looking for some Tata Harper items when a Charlotte Tilbury SA approached me. TH was on a standalone rack right next to the CT counter, so it was kind of her to ask if I needed anything. I was in a happy/chatty mood so after I said no thank you, I blabbered about my skin acting up and how the Purifying Mask wasn't getting rid of all my problems. So I was just browsing for stuff to use in combination with it.

That's when she recommended the CT Goddess Mask ("if the TH mask wasn't doing enough"). I told her that I'd tried the product before and liked everything except the scent.. so no thank you!

That's when she told me it was on sale... for one weekend only... for $55 (vs "$75")!! Something felt wrong, but I don't frequently check prices on items I don't use ... so I just assumed I was remembering incorrectly. While I tried to remember the price, I asked her some questions because I was genuinely interested at a $20 savings (almost 1/3 off??).

Results: no other CT items were on sale. not a price match. not being discontinued. not offered online/other stores. She didn't falter at a single question and every answer was given so firmly that I believed her.

For most things that I buy, even if it's a repurchase, I read reviews right before I put down my card. Just in case there's a sneaky reformulation or someone discovered a bad ingredient.. etc etc. I didn't want to do that in front of her so I thanked her and pulled out my phone when I was a few feet away.. Boom. $55, original price. Sigh.

Report her!!!!!!!  I am telling yah.  You contact NS  with the store, date, salesperson, etc......and, they will get on her.    NS....doesn't mess around!  

This is why I love Sephora.  I can test on my own and I know the price.  

At the store counters........you gotta deal with the Used Car Salespeople! 

(unless, you know what you want and just ask and pay)

lol. You should have told her that it's impossible to use a half-loop stitching on low-viscosity rayon.

Wow.

If I really wanted to be a B, I'd go back and ask "sorry, did you mean the mask is on sale for $35? Because my phone tells me the mask is $55 anyway." and watch the reaction 😄

But I'm rarely brave enough to do such things!

Sometimes I wish I wasn't as bold as I am lol.  I never used to be, but as I get older and have had countless times where I've been taken advantage of, I told myself no more and I stand up for myself now.  It really gets on my nerves when I feel duped.  

Haha I 100% understand what you mean, @AMK721!! Totally not beauty related, but one time I was trying to use a manufacturer's coupon for any Bic stationery item at Walmart. Bought a whiteout and the coupon scanned fine at a self-check out register, but required a manual "approval." An employee came over, read the fine prints like James Madison reading the Constitution, then had the nerve to tell me that the whiteout is not a stationery. I literally asked her, "what kind of BS is that?!"

I did walk away with the free whiteout, but man.. I wish I didn't have to say what I'd said!  

@NarNarNars"like James Madison reading the Constitution" 😂😂😂😂😂

Wow. 

upload_2554633748684856507.gif

upload_6561462323163856580.gif

hahahahahaha!  I hate the 'sales pitch' at beauty counters.  OMG!!!!

Ugh, me too. I never walk in a store without knowing what I'm there for. Get in and out as fast as possible and avoid eye-contact at all times. 😛

testing