Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

@StephaniLynn I'm getting an order tomorrow, we'll see what I get!

Peppermint in lipsticks! Why?! Oh my, I just tried my Tarte lippie from the Tarte mini bday gift set... There's bloody peppermint in it! My lips hate peppermint! I hope they will forgive me, and my lip dermatitis will not be triggered. I took it off as soon as I felt it tingling and burning, which was almost instantly. I knew right away there must be peppermint in it. Checked the ingredient list and, of course, there it was. I sure did not expect that. Peppermint in lipsticks?! I am totally bummed. And freaked out. Do I need to start checking all lipstick for peppermint now?! At least with lip balms I know to always check the ingredients. But... lipsticks?! Wow...

Ok. Rant over.

This has probably been mentioned before, but I'm too lazy to go back multiple pages so I will repost my anger...

The new Sephora and BT update Smiley Mad. Constantly logged out of the site, can't view my loves or purchases, can't write reviews (which I want to for my latest purchases), can't read the questions on the product page, and can't navigate the site anymore!!

I need to find whoever is in their IT department and give them a firm lesson. These changes are not user friendly, nor are they helpful 😞

Agreed, the Sephora website is a PITA after their update.  Hopefully their IT department is working to resolve this. 

It is almost as if they didn't beta test this site on all devices and operating systems. Just such a failure all around. I do not understand how this rollout was approved. 

Like a lot of people here lately I had a not very great experience at my Sephora yesterday. It wasn't the worst or anything overt but I just left dissatisfied and wishing I had stood up for myself a little more and annoyed overall. 

I went in wanting to buy the Kevyn Aucoin Sesual Skin Enhancer. I have redness on my chin and I've tried MANY concealers and even with foundation they don't do a good job in covering. I wanted to finally bring in some big guns and try the KA. Plus Miss Fame uses it and I love her. 

My Sephora has started carrying the line in store which is awesome! I can finally see these products in person, which has always been a barrier to me buying them. So I was bent down looking at the shades and a sales associate (???maybe???) asked if they could help. I told them I'm like some help picking a shade and I explained what I wanted to use it for. He kind of grilled me on it and I wanted to be like "But Miss Fame uses it!" But I'm pretty sure when you tell someone it's a drag queen's favorite product you've just validated all the points they just made about it being too cakey and heavy. (But *sigh* I wanted something heavy!) 

He tells me has something better and put out his arm out for me to hold (which I get the schtick but isn't my thing and I felt soooo uncomfortable walking across the store like this with someone I don't know). We go over to Dior and I get a little suspicious. He's not wearing the black Sephora outfit but sometimes it's hard to tell with male employees but I'm starting to think he's a Dior rep. He then put a tester of some concealer right on my face and I want to die. Ewwww.  I mean I guess the product was fine and nice. And then he goes, "And you can even cover the redness on your nose! Here, look." And then put it on my nose too (which apparently is red 😞 ). I just wanted the moment to be over and he brings me over to the window to see all this in the harsh 11 am Southern California sun and I just told him that he sold me and I'd take it. 

Oh my god this is so long!!!! So yeah, no one twisted my arm or threatened my family but I was just uncomfortable and only wanted help with my Kevyn Aucoin product and ended up with a product I didn't want and feeling kinda crappy about my red nose. And then when he wasn't looking (how ridiculous is that?) I grabbed the KA product I wanted in the first place and got in line. I haven't touched or opened the Dior and am returning it tomorrow. 

If anyone stayed awake thru all that, bravo! (PS I heard him recommending Dior and directing some other women over to the Dior area too so I'm pretty sure he was a brand rep. Sephora really should have a policy that they have to identify themselves as such.)

I've dealt with the same thing!!! It was some Too Faced powder I was super allergic to. It sucks to feel pressured into buying an item and awkward! I haaaate awkward moments. Can't even watch movies with awkward moments. I'll leave the room. I hope you got it sorted out.

You ladies are too funny! I love that you all understand and feel my pain! 

@RoseCharlie Today was my first time using the Sensual Skin Enhancer and I was super happy with it. I did use it with a medium coverage foundation (Lancôme Teint Idole) and I finally got my redness covered! It's true what people say - you only need the smallest amount to cover a little area. The dab I put on my brush was too much so I used it on my undereye area as well and I personally didn't have any creasing or dryness. I usually wait two weeks before passing final judgment but I liked it on first pass. 

@starsandbucks Ooooh thank you for your first impression.  I feel like foundation and concealer is maybe the most personal of makeup choices because everyone has different priorities when using them and different preference... Some people don't mind blending a bit more and some people hardly want to have to blend - some people want to use more and some people want to use less etc. At the end of the day one person's gold might be another woman's trash.  

I know that for me the holy grail of under-eye concealers has to be pink/peach/salmon coloured, very pigmented, on the thicker side and brightening and it blends perfectly with my skin and does a much better job of covering up my dark circles.  I have found (on my own) that benefit erase paste is the absolute best I've found (which surprised me because their "industrial strength" concealer is absolute rubbish lol).  For going out I layer a little amazing cosmetics concealer over top.  Anyhoo every time I mentioned the desire to colour correct and cover my dark circles I'm always directed either towards that Laura Mercier two-toned concealer compact with one beige and one yellow shade (bought it and used only a little, tossed it when I found products that worked a lot better for me) or to a Nars creamy concealer in a shade that is yellow-y and the yellow looks terrible on my skin and it doesn't do a good job of concealing my dark circles.  I only makes me look like I have jaundice.  

The laura mercier concealer, on me, also does not stay put for more than 30 minutes.  It's a bit of a pet peeve to me that I'm constantly being recommended one of those two options - I've never had any other recommendations for concealer.  

@RoseCharlie I always say the lovely ladies that post on BT give the most realistic recommendations. Stay dry during our East Coast storm.

@Loretta55 That is so true! : ) I love reading the BT ladies product recommendations and impressions! : ) Sephora online also has some products that the stores don't carry so it's nice to get recommendations on everything Sephora has to offer!

@RoseCharlie I saved the KA Sensual Skin Enhancer to my loves list in the shade I believe best matches my skin tone so I could purchase it during the Spring sale.

Awww - I could feel your pain as I read this post! @starsandbucks

Yeah - I hate pushy salespeople. When this has happened to me, and I really didn't want to be rude, if the person pushing the product wasn't also the cashier or hovering near the register, I've hid the offensive product in the section next to the check out area of the store so I didn't have to buy it....

I feel your pain, I went into Ulta the other day and got cornered by a sales associate bent on selling me Butter London products.  I didn't want to be rude so I waited until she wasn't looking and put the products back 

I think this is why I prefer to shop online and return something if it doesn't work.

@starsandbucks Oh no! I'm so sorry about your experience and it's not funny but I laughed a bit just because that is EXACTLY the kind of thing I DO ALL THE TIME!

I have definitely felt awkward about not buying the products the SAs recommended so sometimes I ended up buying products I didn't like and I felt to awkward to return them so they just ended up collecting dust.

Something that I have found to be helpful to me (when I know that something is not going to be what I want or am looking for) is to say "oh, I have tried that product before and while it's lovely I already have something very similar, that's why I am looking for something a little different/more full-coverage now because I already have a product like this one." Or something like that. 

What do you think of the Kevyn Aucoin Sesual Skin Enhancer?!? I wanted to go to the store and to see if hopefully they carry it because I want to see if it works for me as a concealer and to see what my shade would be.  It's at the top of my purchase list right now but I have to go and try it to know if it will work for me.  I also need a new foundation, I am almost out of my Guerlain Lingerie de Peau, so I thought this product might be a bit of a 2-in-1... What do you think of it, do you think it would provide enough coverage for some serious dark circles?

Like @RoseCharlie, this is also the kind of thing I'd do when I felt pressured by SAs. XD It's a horrible feeling to be put on the spot and feel like you must comply. I started just saying "oh I already have that" whenever someone suggested something I didn't want or need. That has worked well for me, it takes the wind out of their sails immediately and forces them to move on. 😛

@Asche - Brilliant! : ) I am using that next time! : )

@Asche Ahh I'm trying this next time, I'm not a fast thinker which is why I end up buying all these unwanted things 😞 Thanks!

@AscheOMG!  "Oh, I already have that one" is my go-to line, too!  🙂

Lol, I use this line too.  A lot of the time it's actually true:) 

I would contact the store manager and maybe even district manager. I would ask if there was a Dior rep there on the day you were there and if so, state that they need to be upfront about it and your story. Sorry, but you asked for help for a colormatch and he didn't do it. If that isn't a Dior rep then is that who they want representing them? Also tell them that they took the tester and applied it straight to your face and didn't sanitize it. That is a big no no. Sorry, but this was a horrible brand rep or SA and it needs to be known. Next time you feel like you need to buy something just tell them no or take it and then give it to the person at the register and say you need to think about it and don't buy it. I know it is easier said than done for some but these people don't pay your bills so they can buzz right off if they are pushy.

testing