Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

I wwatched the Kevyn Aucoin one and rejected it due to it being made in China. I'm a little sad about all of the ABH highlighter palettes being made in China too 

agree completely. Also, I wish all sites like Sephora would just list where all items are made on the item page instead of being secretive about it. I just return any item I bought online that says Made in China anyways. its the first thing I check on something new I bought. Also, I'll add this but most people already know that if it says "made in PRC" that is "people's republic of china" which is of course "china". its a sneaky way some companies try to hide where an item is made. there is also the other shady thing where it says "made in USA of domestic and imported parts". I just go ahead and assume it means its was mostly made in China. these high end companies need to stop doing this. ETA: actually I feel all makeup/skincare/etc type companies need to stop doing this because its potentially dangerous to consumers. Also, the made in china issue seems to pop up more often on palettes and value sets from various brands sold at Sephora and elsewhere for some reason. just something I've noticed over time. 

Yeah I also noticed they don't tell you online where a product is made. I wish they did that, too.

@snoflakefaerie I get where you're coming from. I try to stay away from products made in China and I am bummed that the Kevin Aucoin palette was made in China because it was on my list for the spring vib sale 😞

I was super bummed. It is so pretty, but I can't justify it. I think I might grab the Tarte Skin Twinkle Vol 2 instead. I've got to swatch it again, but I'm hoping that will satiate my need for glow!

I'm going to have to encourage you to try the Tarte Skin Twinkle Vol 2 palette. It's so beautiful and buttery!! I have a ton of highlight palettes and individual highlights and I still find myself reaching for this palette the most. Do it! 😬 @snoflakefaerie

So peeved!  I was eagerly anticipating wearing my new CoverFX Drops in Halo, so I applied a small amount to my brow bone as a highlighter. 2 hours later it had migrated to my crease and my eyelids swelled up!  Thinking maybe this baby is going back...

@prettyinpa I though I was crazy because I too reacted to the halo drops. When I applied over my makeup on cheek bones it was ok.. but then as I experimented more and applied on cheek bones over bare skin and mixed in with moisturizer/foundation, my skin itched and next day broke out in a bad rash and several bumps. I had also tested on the lids and they got so watery I removed it immediately.

It is now 10 days and just now getting back on track to clearing my skin - but ofcourse now I am left with some pigmented/scarred spots which in my skin take months to fade 😣 

That's scary 😧 I just got a sample of Halo so I will be careful applying it. I haven't had a reaction to Moonstone when I applied it. 

Also omg, I just realized I follow you on instagram @Anewxa

@patronbleu I knew your user sounded familiar 😊 💕

I haven't had issues with moonstone but then I did not add to my foundation or moistirizer so not sure if the fotmula reacted to that or the dyes used. I hope the sample works out for you, it is quite pretty both ways used..now I am trying to find something similar in a powder version. 

I'm not very creative, just went with the same username for quite a lot of social media!

Hmm according to Temptali her dupes for Halo are:

• Makeup Geek Moon Phase (P, $20.00) is warmer, more shimmery (95% similar).
  • Anastasia Blue Ice (LE) is more shimmery (95% similar).
  • NYX Twilight Tint (P, $7.99) is more shimmery (95% similar).
  • Looxie Beauty Wicked (P, $7.50) is darker, more shimmery (95% similar).
  • L'oreal Ice (P, $12.99) is lighter (90% similar).
  • Anastisia Snow (LE) is warmer (90% similar).

As for me, my purple powder alternative for Halo would be MAC Softfrost or Urban Decay AfterGlow Aura! Didn't fall in love with the Becca Amethyst @Anewxa

That's disappointing @prettyinpa 😞 I'm sorry you had this reaction, I'd definitely take it back. There are so many other new highlighters for you to trade it out for lol. 

@Mcakes-  Thanks for the good wishes, the eyelids are still red but at least they stopped burning and itching!  I'm definitely sending this back, you are so right that there are so many highlighters and I only have one face!

I also hate it when store associates don't educate themselves on what they sell. It's your job to learn about what you're working in, regardless of what you personally use.

Wow another horror story from Shoppers Drug Mart.. I was in there and this customer asked an older store associate about the Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation, if it's as good as people say.The lady knew absolutely NOTHING but offered to swatch her shade. The customer was about to leave, unsure, but I came in and raved about it (it's my favourite high coverage foundation). I swayed her and she bought it. The store lady (and the customer later, outside) thanked me and I said you're welcome but... really lady? I understand that you can't know about every product (I work at Best Buy and I know for a fact that that's not possible) but at least learn about each brand you sell and know what the cult favourites are. The same lady preached to me about Clarins when I walked in, so she clearly knew a lot about that particular brand. If you're working in makeup and beauty, you should know how to do your job properly. 

Wow another story from Shoppers lol. You should apply for a part time job there @IZ95! For community service/charitable purposes 😛 I'm sure that customer appreciated your input. 

How long before this highlighter marketing explosion dies out?  I can't seem to stop buying new highlighters to try and am in shiney shimmery overload.  

I'm seriously considering the possibility that I may turn into a unicorn at any moment.  Right now I'm reorganizing my makeup drawers in the hopes I can muster up space for six new highlighters.  😭😭😭

Of course you can make the space 😄 Just gotta build the makeup drawers higher. 

there is ALWAYS room for new makeup!!!!

@patronbleu I'll need to get a step stool if I go much higher, lol!  

I think you'd make a lovely unicorn hearts 😉 haha

Thanks KB!  I've missed you!  

@heartsmyface Same here! I have about half of a muji drawer dedicated to my "everyday" highlighters and my higher end Dior, Chanel highlighters stored away in their respective packaging in other drawers. Its too much even for me!

I think I'd need to morph into the mythical creature Hydra to use up all the highlighters I have in one lifetime. 😕

2 Replies
testing