Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

Our neighbourhood is deemed pretty safe and we've still had our boat pirated off of and our car broken into.  All on video.  The car thief was eventually caught but the boat thief got away as far as I know.

Heck, we even have people drive by on recycling day and steal our empty bottles.  I don't mind that so much though I do wonder about the cost effectiveness of wasting gas to collect empties.  Meh. 

That mailbox sounds like a good idea.  It's sad that that's a necessity.

having the cameras installed comes in handy for checking to see if delivery people came by and sometimes to track down the jerks who parked in your lane way to go to the beach.  Yeah people have done this to us. 

No way! They took off with your guys' boat? wow. Im glad you have cameras set up. @heartsmyface Its the worst having someone jack your stuff...

You know i have actually seen that too.. people driving by on recycling day taking bottles and cans. I can't believe some people do that ..to make the effort to get in your car, waste so much gas and take other peoples recycling.. lol 😐

I have been researching cameras today to purchase for the front door. Hopefully that will be a big help in keeping the future theft at bay. 

No no, they boarded our boat at night and stole a bunch of stuff off it.  Life jackets, a radio, some jackets a couple towels...  someone else had to have had a boat to get to ours and take the stuff cause it was mooring off our dock when it happened.  

it's all rigged up with an obnoxious alarm and lights now, but it was very distressing.  

The recycling thing I try not to think too hard on cause then I start thinking about the risk of hepatitis, the stickiness and get all germaphoby.  I do t even consider myself a germaphobe but I have limits.

So sorry to hear this! We've had this issue in our neighborhood. One neighbor no longer uses her mailbox and has all mail forwarded to a post office box. This is probably the easiest solution although it's inconvenient to have to pick up mail there.

If your mailbox is set up where you can control the size and type and installation, I recommend replacing it with a locking type. We installed ours where our old mailbox was in a communal type location (a group of various type boxes on a horizontal post type system). Home Depot and other places sell USPS-approved type locking mailboxes.

We also installed a mailbox alarm that buzzes inside our home whenever our mailbox is opened. This alarm requires the mailbox to be a certain number of feet (or less) from the base inside the home.

There's a parcel box in this communal group though that the postman uses for larger packages that don't fit inside our mailbox, which we can only really monitor by getting out mail as soon as we hear the alarm go off. But there have been periods where he doesn't use this box (likely when complaints about thefts occur) but puts the package at front door instead. We've got a camera inside that films anyone who comes to the door but to me this doesn't deter theft. We try to keep track of which packages are coming that day to stay ahead of any potential thieves which isn't foolproof of course.

@DiVWA Thats a really good idea - my husband and i might go check out home depot tonight for uses approved locking mailboxes. I didn't even know we could have an alarm installed in the mailbox itself.  Thats GREAT.  I am on high alert after this because i am expecting my immigration papers in the mail.. and i would probably cry if those got stolen. I don't want to take ANY chances. Thank you for the advice DivWa! much appreciated:). I am certain on installing a camera outside - just for our safety @Anewxa. I think we are going to go pick one up at Bestbuy tonight.  Its sad that it has come to this to be honest.  

TERRIBLE! I'm so sorry that happened to you... such a violating feeling!

So sorry you had to go through that!

@kromance I think a camera isn't a bad idea even if it is as a dummy, just for the peace of mind - we installed real ones at the front door and around the house and I feel so much safer (have lil ones) especially because we can access the live feed from our phones/TV at anytime. 

That is terrible! Unfortunately, I think it's becoming more common. There are so many youtube videos of people getting caught stealing packages off people's porches and boxes.. disgusting behavior. The amount of opportunists nowadays is so disheartening.

I particularly like watching the videos of instant karma where the box is rigged with something, or someone leaves a phone next to them and it gets swiped but it's actually a stun phone.. bzzzzzt!! Karma.

I didn't know youtube had these videos! @Insomniacmuffin I totally went and watched a few after reading your message. i CANT believe some ppl drive and follow fedex/ usps trucks.. and then go jack the parcels once they are delivered. What has the world come to? 

I'm so sorry that happened to you, or anyone for that matter. Some people are pathetic like that. 

@Samtian  Yeah, some people are so jacked up to even think its okay to steal from someone else porch/mailbox. Ridiculous. Hopefully this gives awareness to others here as well - to be careful with their mail. Thank you so much for your kind concern!! 🙂

Sorry that what happened to you @kromance. I'm currently dealing with the same thing. We was traveling and didn't have time to check on the mailbox for 3 weeks. Last week when I went check, the entire community mailbox got broken into and all our mails got stolen. Now I'm all nervous about having identity theft risk. 

That's the most scary part--identity theft!!

I regularly check on free credit score reports where they also list the number of credit cards on my name. I once had a suspicious roommate and one of my letters with sensitive information was opened. I know she can do anything, not just financial damage (she knows suspicious kind of people like hackers, etc). But so far, I'm concerned on the credit score as it takes a long time to prove to IRS in case something like that happens, and then it takes a long time to repair the damages.

Sorry for being paranoid but it's better to always double check than to be surprised later. 

I am always monitor on credit scores and reports (free service provided by my CC) even before the mail incident. It is really scary how much damage a person can do to you. My friend had this happened to her and she was trying to correct the problem for a good long time.

@blackkitty2014  you too? Man! I'm so sorry to hear that. 😞 Hopefully you mostly got junk mail while you were way.

OMG! @blackkitty2014 thats horrible!!! 3 weeks worth of mail! WOW.  I just spent the last hour on the phone with USPS. I hope it all works out for you too! I can't imagine the stress you must be feeling!! For the fear of the same thing i cancelled my credit cards .. Truly a hassle with everything that follows. Now i need to wait for my new credit cards to be mailed out.. You best believe that i'll be like a hawk with my mail/packages now. Cant trust people man. Shady shady people out there.. 

@kromance

I'm so sorry that happened! I hear a lot of it happening around Seattle 😞 People even started putting cameras on their front porch because it has gotten so bad.

Hopefully USPS can do something about it! My USPS person has put my package in the wrong larger package box before and I only found it by opening all the boxes with keys already in them 😕

@flyte i believe that! I have a camera in my apartment that looks at the front door. We had purchased it to creep on our 1 yr old sheltie pup but now we use it more as a safety precaution. Call me paranoid, but I am going to buy a dummy camera for outside my door - tricking people into thinking they are being recorded so they don't jack anything. 

I got in touch with USPS and opened up a claim with them. Hope to hear from them in 2 days. Something has to be done. This is so unsafe.  

the real cameras don't cost that much.. I have two Dlink Cloud cameras in my house I got for $200 that I can log into from anywhere and check on my place. I just do it to creep on my cats.

but at the end of the day.. even if you could pick the person out of a lineup.. the police do nothing and now you are constantly on alert

I am so sorry that happened to you @kromance!! 😞

I've had my mail stolen before, and it is very violating. 

@angel7594ah I'm sorry this happened to you too 😞 Heart

1 Reply
testing