Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

Time to use a different makeup remover...:P

Hand-washing bras is just about as bad as washing brushes. Both are necessary. Neither are enjoyable. That is all. 

I live with the philosophy that if the bra can't live without being babied, I don't want it...

Same with clothes that need dry cleaning unless its very special. 

I wish that bras in my size were sold for a lot less money, unfortunately they aren't (and no amount of complaining to retailers about why they don't carry 30H-32GG or why the stores that do sell them - including online retailers - never put those sizes on sale, has changed the situation). But given the per bra prices, making them last means there's more money to spend on other things. Like the matching knickers. 😛 And makeup. Shoes....you know, the essentials! 😉

Eventually no matter how carefully one hand washes their bras, using a salad spinner to get the excess water out of the t-shirt styles in particular while avoiding anything that might stretch the fabric out (no wringing or aggressive pressing down with a towel!) and all that jazz...they have to be replaced. On bra-wash day, there are bras hung on every conceivable spot and laying on every spare flat surface to air dry.

I avoid dry-clean only like the plague though. 😛

Obviously this depends on the fanciness of the bra, but delicates bags have been a life saver for me. I put my day-to-day bras in 2 to a small bag, hooked, wash on gentle or at least cold/slow spin, hang dry and they hold up for ~2+ yrs, with a washing every other week or so. (I have A LOT of bras that I rotate through, so there's that.)

I only bring this up because I've lived with at least 3 other roommates who had never heard about washing bras in mesh bags! So I now spread the gospel to all women 😉

I have no hacks for brushes, sadly.

Unfortunately, bras of my size don't really fit in delicates bags! I wish they did cause they are truly awesome! @snoflakefaerie

Although not specifically for bras, there are mesh laundry bags that come in different sizes (e.g., S, M, L, XL).  I've used the S- or M-sized bags for my bras for years with the permanent press cycle and my bras have held up well.  I always line dry them.  I wash my bras with other items, but I do also put most of my other items in laundry bags as well (inside out + laundry bag + line drying = some serious longevity on most clothing). Re: line drying, Amish drying racks are awesome and there are some metal ones that you can find online that are larger and/or better than what you can typically find in stores.

If the cups could be separated from the band, I can fit the bands in one of those wash bags! 😛

But then I'd have to hand wash the cups..

😉

There's always the option of just buying new bras and tossing out the old, filthy, stretched out, with the occasional mystery stained bras. 😉

Same can be done with brushes, but if you're buying new bras every few weeks (ok so right now I have maybe...15-20 bras - which I hand wash because my bra size is ALWAYS expensive, in comparison to the more common sizes. I'm not rich. Yet. Totally not an excessive number of bras!) then budget sacrifices will have to be made in other categories!

Agree! The expense of my bras forces me to cut back in other areas, so I want to prolong their life! @GennX

The mister was trying to be helpful many moons ago, and washed a couple of my bras with other clothing. That he then put in the dryer.

*reenacts "The Scream" painting for mannequin challenge*

Yes! So true!!!

Hear hear!

I have a stalker. Can you say that about someone? I met him on a gaming forum, he added me and I thought he was being nice and just helping me out. But he kept wanting me to hop on a chat voice/ and to add him on FB. He insisted also that he wasn't looking for a hook up, odd thing to say since all I told him was I only add family and people i've met as friends on my FB. That's not going to make me add him. Then he said, I'm sure I was on  your FB friend list before.

Nope. In fact, I've been deleting more people every month. Anyways, I appreciate his help in the gaming thing, but he started making me feel uncomfortable.

*edited to add*

Because I didn't request him on FB and I told him I wasn't accepting anyone I didn't actually know, he started following me on FB. I mean, I hope it doesn't become something where I have to block him ,, but I'm always on alert, especially when they leave near me. 

I've had two stalkerish incidents. One online and one in real life. The best thing to do is cut off ALL communication with this person. Make it so there's no way to contact you. If you're using your real name on FB...you would be surprised how much information people can access via the internet. I would try to take those down too.

Don't take any chances, block him. Stop it before it becomes something bad. From what you said, you can tell he is a manipulator and a liar. 

Block this guy. He sounds like a creep! 

@Blackwhiskey 😬  Trust your instincts.  If he seems off then he probably is.  The whole point of welcoming people into your life is to make you happy and comfortable.  If he's giving you creep vibes ditch him before he knows too much about you.  Stalkers are scary business and tough I get rid of once they get super attached.

If you do decide to keep him around for a probation period, i'd be checking my fb security settings.  I'd at least set up limitations on him so he can't get access to your friends until you're 100% sure he's alright. 

I added a creepy guy to my friends list who I met out drinking with friends who called my mother asking for my number.  Ummmmmm?  She never gave it to him.  He also had imagined memories of us making out which he decided to share with me in my private messages.  Um no no no.  

Needless to say, he got blocked but not before I tracked him down and took down all his work contacts and personal information.  

I feel weird "heart"-ing this post, but I did out of solidarity.  There's something really creepy and entitled about forcing yourself into someone's life like that.  That they don't realize how inappropriate it is is genuinely disheartening and concerning.

Those kinds of situations are unfortunate and really uncomfortable. :S I don't understand how people can get so oddly infatuated with someone they don't even really know. It's so creepy. 

My ex sort of stalks me in a similar fashion (and we broke up over 5 years ago!). He will not stop trying to attempt contact. When I ignored him he started reaching out to my friends. I'm just waiting for the day he somehow gets my address and shows up on my doorstep. :S 

@Ascheugh that's creepy! yeah this guy randomly added me on my game thing and he said he hadn't responded to my forum post about knocking out some games but that he had seen it. So from there to saying that i had him added as a friend on fb before was just like, a little red flag. And yeah, it is creepy because even though he says he's looking for friends, he's kind of pushing it. My imagination may jump a bit but some things seem kind of off.

In your case I hope it doesn't come to that. My cousin broke up with her ex last year and he's been sending her DEATH threats. Not only that but he creates FB accounts and if he can get some people to add him as a friend he'll send them disgusting messages of the sexual kind about my cousin and/or other family members. It truly is disturbing, and I can't say much more than that because he is being investigated even though since it's an online thing, it's a hard thing to keep track off, I suppose.

1 Reply
testing