Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Beauty Pet Peeves 2

The other thread was getting too long and difficult to load! 

So what are your beauty pet peeves? What grinds your gears? Share your stories!!!

Tags:

Re: Beauty Pet Peeves 2

As usual I will be the voice of dissent to everyone's outrage...

How is this any different than getting the free makeovers that are offered? In this case, she is doing the makeup herself and saving Sephora the labour. I completely agree that it isn't in the spirit of Sephora's generousity to sample with zero intention of purchasing, however even in the article she says “I will occasionally leave with a product—and have like 70 on my face,” so actually Sephora benefitted from their own policy by gaining a sale that would not have occurred had the shopper not samples. And while 1 out of 70 is poor numbers, Sephora ALSO benefitted from the word of mouth this person likely created when she bragged to her friends, family, and any article writer that would listen, about how she got to sample all this stuff and only make a purchase of 1.42% of the items she tried. Well let's break down that math with some fuzzy logics..

Let's say each 'sample' of product used was worth.. I dunno.. 25 cents.

70 items used x .25 = $17.50

1 item purchased = $50   (for fun!)

Well ladies.. I have redeemed promos online with my $25 purchase that were worth more than $17.50.. so I now think this poor girl made the bad choice in not shopping online with us smarty-pants.

😄

I think I'm more upset that she considers what she is doing an act of feminism. No. Just No.

And I guess people have different moral compasses. When you start abusing something it will be taken away... Why do you think Sephora Canada changed it's return policy!!!

Right on!  Let others live!

I wonder if Sephora will also "benefit" when everyone asks her what's up with all the cold sores on her mouth/pink eye/Lord knows what else, and she tells them "from testers at Sephora where I do my makeup for the day."

While technically free the whole thing is just idiotic. I do not know where this person lives, but we still do not know a whole lot about the Zika virus. Is it possible that someone with the Zika virus, having an open cold sore, use a lipstick directly on their mouth and then she uses the same lipstick afterwards - could she pick up Zika from lipsticks? We do know it's basically the newest STD and cold sores are also in the herpes family...

Bird flu, H1N1, all sorts of bugs out there - that while obviously not all germs are avoidable - why in the WORLD would you do this?? At least the Sephora reps spray stuff down with alcohol - and who knows maybe she brings her own alcohol spray bottle - just no no no!!!

This girl writing the article obviously has a strong immune system! 

Not everybody catches 'bugs' with the wind. 

The conclusion that everyone seems to have jumped to that the women in the article are using unsanitary practices is not supported by any statements made in the article. This is just something everyone has 'decided' must be the case. I have had makeovers at Sephora where the products were sanitized, where I refused items that were not, and never had a cold sore or Zika Virus, and never causes a zombie apocalypse to-date. YES, I agree that there are items that are unsanitary to be used on the face, but it does NOT say that was the case in the article.

some flippant disregard of sanitary concerns from the blog mentioned in @veronika23 's post:

"Sure, sharing testers with millions of strangers poses some ~health risks~. But as long as you avoid eyeliner and mascara, you are okay? I’ve been doing this since I was a teen and I’m fine, so let’s consider that a scientific study. I also like to think that there is some kind of solidarity among the tester abuser movement. There’s an understanding that you don’t partake in the lipstick when you’re having a herpes flair, for example (also not verifiable, but likely).

Besides, you shouldn’t let the tiny threat of pink eye get in the way of~ .."

In the article it does say "Ms. Check recently popped into a Sephora location to apply foundation, mascara and lipstick before a last-minute date. " Maybe I'm reading too much into the lines, but foundation and lipstick aside, I didn't think mascara testers can be 100% sanitary

And I pointed out that Sephora sprays their stuff down with alcohol when they do use it on customers.

I just find it hard to think /believe she's bringing in her own spray bottle of alcohol is all as I know of no other way to really sanitize testers.

Thanks for sharing the article! @veronika23.

When I read it my first thought was I hope you enjoy your pink eye and cold sores, weirdos! But then I thought, no that's really mean, and maybe they just don't know any better.  Yeah. Sad eh.

Gross! I wonder if she has a personalized makeup bag that says "keep calm and tester mooch" 😄

Oh goodness.  This is NOT feminism, it's just gross!  I honestly don't ever apply the testers to anything other than the back of my hand. 

Also - makeup is not a requirement!  I wish people would stop acting like society forces them to wear makeup. I love makeup, so sometimes I wear lots of it - but sometimes I don't wear any.  The people around me really don't seem to care either way!

And so does everyone else- with their grubby fingers!  And I am not the first to admit I don't wash my hands before doing so.  

Oh, and @veronika23 - thank you for including the whole article since I'm not a subscriber!  🙂

@Milou07 you are welcome. I am not a subscriber either yet for some reason sometimes I can see the article and sometimes I can't .... really odd so I just copied the whole thing to make it easier for everyone 😉

@Milou07 Same! I might have let a Sephora or brand rep apply foundation on my face the odd time I was getting colour matched, but they were products out of pumps applied with brush from their brush belt (that I trust, as a profession, cleans after EVERY client).

I don't even like try out lipsticks in store and always refuse if the SA offers to sanitize the lipstick for me to try. The main reason is because I do not want to remove my lipstick and have to reapply again and try to make it look perfect 😄

No people, don't do this to yourselves, and certainly don't brag about it!  It's a dirty practice.

My name is Leah and I do not refresh at Sephora.  

@heartsmyface love your statement and your name! I feel like I knew vaguely before that your name was Leah, but now I really do haha

ahahahahah!  @refresh at Sephora.

This is obviously city living.  It is too much of a hassle to take public transport back home and 'refresh' the proper way. 

This is when I love the suburbs!!

I wonder if she goes to the same Sephora every day, or rotate? You'd think that after months (or even weeks) of noticing the SAME person coming in only to use the testers and not purchasing anything, the store would do something.

Her claim that tester mooching is a feminist act is. She makes real feminism look bad.

Edit: I rarely "freshen" up when I'm at a Sephora store. I have blotting papers, what in the world could I freshen up on that wouldn't look bad layered over my existing makeup?

A makeup refresher to me is maybe some tatcha mist and a reapplication of lipstick. Both items can be found in my purse and are something I'll pull out in the car or in the women's rest room mirror.  

Maybe people have different definitions of freshening up? Not sure. 

testing