Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

BRANDS: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

What brands are you obsessed with and what sparked your love for them? What is it about that specific brand that makes you come back to buy more or try their new products? Any brands you've been disappointed with? Brands that consistently have products that don't seem to live up to the hype... or that just doesn't work for you. Maybe there's a brand you don't want to buy products from due to poor reviews/image. Any brands you've been wanting to try or any that caught your eye due to packaging or a specific product.

Share your stories of brand love and dislike.

โญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธ

One brand that will always hold a special in my heart is MAC. It was the first higher end brand that I purchased from and what started my love and obsession to makeup! I still remember looking at all the beautiful and endless products they offered. What brought me to them was a lip balm I loved. It was a tinted lip balm and I wanted to match that very specific nude beige to a lipstick and couldnโ€™t find it anywhere else. After seeing the range of color they offered I just fell in love. I must admit that I am a bit disappointed in the brand the last few yearsโ€ฆ it doesnโ€™t feel like it used to and I canโ€™t really put my finger on what makes me feels this way about them.

1484564192-mac-colour-rocker-lipsticks.jpg

KVD is another brand that keeps getting my money. I'm loving pretty much everything she is coming out with! Her packaging and all the work she puts into it make it even more special.  I so wish I would have gotten the face chart reward when it was up. Definitely one of my top brands!

2017-3-31_home-slider_rock-candy.gif

I also want to mention The Body Deli.  I keep repurchasing from them. I love their products and have been using their body line for a while now.  Here's more info about them from their site.

Spoiler
THE BODY DELI is the pioneer in fresh, organic, raw superfood enhanced personal care products. Two Cosmetic Chefs, Margaret Skarin Clark and David Anton Parker, created the brand in the resort towns of Palm Desert and Palm Springs, California in 2001. Two "foodies" with an extensive background in nutrition, raw food, wellness and beauty, envisioned a personal care brand so different, fresh and unique that they started making their own healthy skin care products. Their special method is a process similar to crafting fresh juices and smoothies in a high-end Organic Juice Bar. โ€œFresh Food for the Skinโ€ was their concept, and since then they have evolved a global brand committed and dedicated to providing the absolute purest alternative for nourishing the face, body and hair. Celebrities, fashion designers, Fortune 500 leaders and health conscious people have fallen in love with The Body Deliโ€™s unique, effective and wonderful creations.

TBDcollection_2048x2048.jpg

I've mentioned these in the thread today but also a big fan of:

Natasha Denona

Viseart

Pat McGrath

Odacite

Omorovicza 

Love the eye products from the first 3 brands, the serums from Odacite and a few products from Omorovicza. Probably more but just have a huge memory blank right now ๐Ÿ˜„

Re: BRANDS: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

Welcome to BT @LivKoven! I am sure you will love it here. ๐Ÿ™‚  I used to love the Hypnose mascara but that was before I discovered the Diorshow. Diorshow Blackout has probably been my fav for a long time now along with the Diorshow lash primer. ๐Ÿ™‚

These are the brands that I find to be consistently good - I might not buy everything they come out with, but when I do, I trust I am getting a good product: 

1. Anastasia Beverly Hills

2. Bite Beauty

3. Kat Von D

4. Viseart

5. Wayne Goss

Brands that are just so inconsistent or I just don't like:

1. Morphe

2. Jeffree Star

3. Too Faced

4. Kylie 

5. Any holiday packaging items from Tarte

LOVES:

MAKE UP FOR EVER - Used to be my #1 go-to favorite brand but lately I'm finding myself a little less interested in what they've been releasing and I can't put my finger on why that is. Their brushes are a dream and I continue to collect them when I can/have a need. Overall still a big fan of MUFE and how they're kind of a makeup lover's makeup brand. 

BOBBI BROWN - I don't know if I've ever bought a full-out Bobbi Brown dud. Everything is solid and I like their clean, classic packaging. Always struck me as a sharp, smart women's brand. 

NARS - Orgasm blush and gloss were my first purchases at Sephora. I didn't know anything about NARS but I liked their whole aesthetic. For a few years I only exclusively bought that. 

COULD LIVE WITHOUT:

BENEFIT - I just do not connect with this brand and never have. If I'm paying $$ for blush it's not going to come in a bulky cardboard box. #snob

STILA - I liked Stila quite a bit probably 10 years ago but it feels like a brand that hasn't kept up with the times. Except for their liquid lips from last year, I haven't been interested in anything they've released in ages. I wish they'd bring back all their colored smudge pots. 

BARE MINERALS - I still equate it with infomercials and messy application that will leave a dusty film all over my vanity. Why put myself through that?

I had a good laugh at your #snob @starsandbucks! ๐Ÿ˜„ I agree with all of your "could live without" products. Stila and Bare Minerals aren't even on my radar (not sure why, they've just never appealed to me at all). I do like Benefit, but their boxed packaging keeps me from purchasing more of their products.

I never really  got into Bare Minerals either...

When I saw this thread posted, I tried really hard to come up with specific brands I love or leave for various reasons. Most of the brands I use, there are some products in their lines I love, and some I don't. And most brands I leave, I only leave because nothing really grabs my attention - but that doesn't mean I'll discount them out completely. I'm open to a lot of things from a lot of different brands, and I love finding something I love from a brand I don't have much of. With that said, there are a couple love/leave exceptions:

LOVE-

1. Josie Maran (for skin/body care)

2. Laura Geller (for blush, bronzer, highlighter, mascara, and powder foundation)

3. Too Faced (for blush and eye shadow)

4. Becca (for highlighter and blush)

5. Urban Decay (for eye shadow, lipstick, and foundation)

LEAVE (for likely obvious reasons)-

1. He who shall not be named

2. Kylie (who has her own show now???? Wtf, I'm moving to Europe, bye)

3. Almost all drug store lines (For makeup and skin care - I notice a huge difference in quality of products... hair is fine though)

4. Doll 10 (random QVC line... she just really bugs me!)

@alexasteph  haha oh kylie... i can't deal with her, or that whole family tbh. they are literally famous for doing nothing!

i've never had any desire to try her (overpriced) cosmetics.

i love josie maran! her sunscreen, body butter, and argan oil are staples for me. i also really love becca! i still have a soft spot for my too faced palettes and urban decay too ๐Ÿ™‚

LOL!  Word about the Kylie foolery.  Why?  Why, Lord--WHY?!

Not to throw shade, but I don't find the troweled-on or space alien look particularly cute.  I'd rather take makeup tips from RuPaul.

Oh yeah Josie Maran is one brand I love too!!!!

I forgot about Josie; her body butters got me through the winter.

LOL I saw that Kylie show ad and automatically did a major eye roll ๐Ÿ™„

Since when does VOLDEMORT have a makeup company?

https://media.giphy.com/media/ZO6MbrigSyaDm/giphy.gif

(๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ sorry couldn't help myself)

I'm sorry but I don't understand the fascination, and never have to be honest.  What exactly do they do that people want to watch so much?  I mean could I have my own show ๐Ÿค” @alexasteph

hahaha @ElleElleG i forced myself to watch an episode of the show once to see why people got so into it, and i was baffled. they did nothing the entire episode except sit around, shop and go to dinner. it was painfully boring!

@ElleElleG  yo I would totally buy VOLDEMORT makeup ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

I would consider it @veronika23 but I'd wait to make sure no unforgivable curses were apart of the ingredients ๐Ÿ˜†

@ElleElleG๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

LOL @ElleElleG That gif is cracking me up! ๐Ÿ˜„

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ I think some parallels can be drawn! 

@alexasteph what are some other good products by Josie Maran? I really love the argan oil and am on my 3rd (4th?) now, but I've never tried anything else in her line. 

@alexasteph

the Argan Black Oil Mascara. You'll be surprised. I wanted to use it for my daytime, more natural makeup and ended up using it also for the most dramatic looks. It has a very good formula, quite dry, not runny, a delicate smell. 

@Alicehoopz Oh, I use a good portion of her line. The Whipped Body Butters are my favorite body moisturizers, and I use her self tanner exclusively. In the winter I use the Whipped Face Butter and in the summer I use the SPF 47. The color sticks are wonderful as blushes, and the clear argan stick is amazing for cuticles and lips. I have a bottle of her hand cream in multiple locations as well. I also can't recommend the mud mask enough... makes my skin look and feel amazing. I use a few other products in her line too, those are just the ones I use regularly. 

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos8
  • TBDcollection_2048x2048.jpg
  • 2017-3-31_home-slider_rock-candy.gif
  • 1484564192-mac-colour-rocker-lipsticks.jpg
  • edfe55e6e1cbfef503a6a7e7eb63a1dd.jpg
  • Terracotta-Category-3_1.jpg
  • 00.JPG
  • RBR-Calendar-Apr.jpg
  • https://media.giphy.com/media/ZO6MbrigSyaDm/giphy.gif
testing