Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

BRANDS: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

What brands are you obsessed with and what sparked your love for them? What is it about that specific brand that makes you come back to buy more or try their new products? Any brands you've been disappointed with? Brands that consistently have products that don't seem to live up to the hype... or that just doesn't work for you. Maybe there's a brand you don't want to buy products from due to poor reviews/image. Any brands you've been wanting to try or any that caught your eye due to packaging or a specific product.

Share your stories of brand love and dislike.

One brand that will always hold a special in my heart is MAC. It was the first higher end brand that I purchased from and what started my love and obsession to makeup! I still remember looking at all the beautiful and endless products they offered. What brought me to them was a lip balm I loved. It was a tinted lip balm and I wanted to match that very specific nude beige to a lipstick and couldn’t find it anywhere else. After seeing the range of color they offered I just fell in love. I must admit that I am a bit disappointed in the brand the last few years… it doesn’t feel like it used to and I can’t really put my finger on what makes me feels this way about them.

1484564192-mac-colour-rocker-lipsticks.jpg

KVD is another brand that keeps getting my money. I'm loving pretty much everything she is coming out with! Her packaging and all the work she puts into it make it even more special.  I so wish I would have gotten the face chart reward when it was up. Definitely one of my top brands!

2017-3-31_home-slider_rock-candy.gif

I also want to mention The Body Deli.  I keep repurchasing from them. I love their products and have been using their body line for a while now.  Here's more info about them from their site.

Spoiler
THE BODY DELI is the pioneer in fresh, organic, raw superfood enhanced personal care products. Two Cosmetic Chefs, Margaret Skarin Clark and David Anton Parker, created the brand in the resort towns of Palm Desert and Palm Springs, California in 2001. Two "foodies" with an extensive background in nutrition, raw food, wellness and beauty, envisioned a personal care brand so different, fresh and unique that they started making their own healthy skin care products. Their special method is a process similar to crafting fresh juices and smoothies in a high-end Organic Juice Bar. “Fresh Food for the Skin” was their concept, and since then they have evolved a global brand committed and dedicated to providing the absolute purest alternative for nourishing the face, body and hair. Celebrities, fashion designers, Fortune 500 leaders and health conscious people have fallen in love with The Body Deli’s unique, effective and wonderful creations.

TBDcollection_2048x2048.jpg

I've mentioned these in the thread today but also a big fan of:

Natasha Denona

Viseart

Pat McGrath

Odacite

Omorovicza 

Love the eye products from the first 3 brands, the serums from Odacite and a few products from Omorovicza. Probably more but just have a huge memory blank right now 😄

Re: BRANDS: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

Well this is a fun thread!

Omorovicza- My favorite products of theirs, the ones that I am willing to give up buying chocolate for (but not my good tea or coffee,) is their Cleansing Foam, Gentle Buffing Cleanser, Elemental Emulsion, Illuminating Moisturizer for when I want to sparkle, and the Gold Rescue Cream (good thing I have several sample tubs of this!)

Rouge Bunny Rouge- Pretty, subtle, sophisticated, and classy is how I would describe this line; I feel one step closer to fitting those descriptions when I wear their products (or maybe I am really susceptible to their marketing.)  I mean, look at this- they put out a downloadable wallpaper and/or calendar every month.  Here's April's-

RBR-Calendar-Apr.jpg

As far as their products go, their Genesis Skin Primer is the best I have used; it feels like nothing but works very well. 

Their eyeshadows are superb; with names like Snowy Egret and Vivacious Maguari, you know you're getting something unique. 

Their lip products are good. The glosses do fill in the lines some.  The Dazzling Sip Tinted Lip Balm in Specks of Cerise is so pretty and moisturizing.

If you click onto their sale tab, you will see the shadows whose purchase includes a free, complementary liner!

@Ispend2much6 I always forget about Rouge Bunny Rouge! But I agree, they have some amazing products and the esthetic of the brand is really lovely! Off to check the sale page! 🙂 

@themusefactory  I know what you mean.  I'm so busy catching sales I don't buy those lovely items I've been watching.  I do like their liquid liners.  A couple of months ago they were giving away 5 of their eyeshadows with a $100 purchase!  It pays to watch for their sales.

Love it:  ABH, Nars, Soap & Glory, Wet n Wild, Tarte, NYX

Leave it: Benefit

Absolutely loving reading everyones loves!!

The only two products I come back to over and over:

Lorac: Front of the line Pro liner in black. Ugh its just soooo good. It's the only thing I'll go into Ulta to buy. KVD tattoo liner is similar, but the brush is just a touch firmer and not my favourite.

Benefit: They're Real mascara. This is the only mascara that doesn't leave rings under my eyes. ABH used to have a lashes top coat that was AMAZING, but they don't make it anymore and no one else has a mascara that only stays on my lashes ad not on my skin.

Everything else I flip through after I finish a product. I'm still on the search for the perfect foundation after Nars changed their formula, most pale foundations have a yellow undertone and I am pink like a starburst.

@schmeagers Not exactly what you were probably looking for as a reply here, but if you can handle the smell of Chanel's foundation, they tend to run really pink. On the other end of the spectrum, The Ordinary is releasing foundations soon, and they also have pink undertones! Hope this helps! 

No, this is perfect, thank you! I've been in BT recently to find new products, so it's greatly appreciated ☺️

@schmeagersI agree with you it's fun reading all the responses 🙂

And second @themusefactory's suggestion on The Ordinary's foundation. I guess they put a hold on it because of the demand. I managed to place an order but still waiting. The shades are listed but it says email soon... so maybe you would like to get notified for the restock? I mean for something that's below 7$ Canadian it's worth a try 😉 

@veronika23 Great topic! I can't wait to read everyone's stories. I don't have a specific line that I love so much that I must have everything. But I do have my favorites!

LOVES:

MAC Yes, yes, yes! I used to take the train to Toronto in high school just to load up on Russian Red. It was the only red I wore for many years. Back then, MAC felt super exclusive because it wasn't in the States yet. I had to buy it blackmarket basically from a woman that owned a salon and she would sell them from the back room for a crazy mark up. But it saved me a train trip LOL. So MAC will always be my first love. Plus Haux eyeshadow is ride or die for me. Plum lip liner used to be the best but I think they reformulated it and it's not the same. But I've repurchased Russian Red, Haux and Plum more times than I can count. And they used to do incredible polishes. I still have a few in my stash. I'll have to swatch one of them soon to see if any of you know of a dupe. 

They have also broken my heart several times. First they DC'd Strada blush, now they have gone and reformulated Spite Lip Glass. They said it's the same color. It's not. So two of my HG's from the late 80's-early 90's are now goners 😰

ABH No one comes close to her Brow Wiz skinny pencil. I've used it for years. It's the perfect size. Also her brow powders (but I wish they would stop switching the colors up and it's a very fragile powder). But it applies nicely and wears well. And Modern Renaissance, what else is left to say? One of the best palettes I've ever owned. 

NARS I have a love/hate relationship with this brand. Some things I love, like their new Lip Velvets and their Pressed Light Reflecting powder. Also Cruella! But many of their liners, mascaras and individual shadows have disappointed me and been returned. Also I hate the Creamy Concealer. It's not creamy on me. It's very drying and barely covers so it's a dud. 

ILNP Their polishes are the best! Duochromes, holos, glitters, ultra chrome flakies, jellies, shimmers. They do it all and it's all amazeballs! I can't get enough and I buy at least one thing from every new collection. 

TARTE Quite a few HG's from them. The Maracuja Creaseless Concealer, Lights, Camera, Lashes Mascara (I will die if this ever goes away) Shape Tape Concealer. Also loved their OG matte lip crayons. They were great! New love is Firework from the Drench lipstick line. The bluest red I've seen in a long time. Deep and bright at the same time. Just love!

LM Only her Translucent Powder is a hit for me. Used it for years. Her baked matte highlighter is also what I usually reach for when the mood hits. Wish she would bring back her Gel lipsticks. They were great!

DISLIKES:

TOO FACED packaged for children. Even the few things I've received as samples have not impressed me. And I loathe fragrance on my face. That chocolate bronzer nearly killed me. I won't even dare try any of those fruit smelling shadows. This line does not appeal to me in the slightest. 

MOST HIGH-END SKINCARE Very few have actually performed for me. I feel like I'm paying for packaging and print ads. And most have fillers and silicone as the first five ingredients. If I'm paying for peptides, retinol, AHA's, etc, those ingredients better be at the tip top of the list. I research the heck out of everything and most HE brands don't cut it for me. I understand that some like the luxury of purchasing this stuff, I appreciate that. But if I can DIY an oil cleanser, face oil, or mask, ain't no way I'm paying $90 for a pretty pump. I find better performing dupes on Amazon all the time, for a fraction of the cost. 

Hourglass Nothing works for me. Not the lipsticks (even though I like some of their reds), not the primers or ambient powders. All just an expensive fail for me. 

Theres more. But I should end this chapter of my novel for now 😂

I feel you about MAC!  They literally broke my heart when they discontinued the Chai Lipglass.  It was my HG, and wore very well with the Chestnut lip pencil. Other shades have been suggested by their MUA's as a replacement, but nothing has ever come close to Chai for me.  

I've also read some pretty negative reviews about the reformulated Lipglass, so I steered clear of it.

@pixiedust2 I love your take on HE skincare!!  I ingredient hunt like made when it comes to my haircare for the very thing you mentioned: freaking fillers 😕

I've done so to an extent with skincare but it has not been as though an investigation!

@ElleElleG Absolutely! I'm prone to breakouts from silicone and that's what got me started reading ingredient lists. And from there, buying raw materials and making my own. Hubby says I'm Frankensteining LOL

And same with hair products. No sulfate, no silicones and no Methylisothiazolinone. It's a preservative and it's causing terrible allergic reactions in the U.K. We will start seeing it here too. It's in my Carol's Daughter Monoi shampoo and condition 😭 My favorite hair products of all time. It's not in the mask, but I have two giant bottles of the shampoo and conditioner and I won't use them anymore. I smell them from time to time LOL! She did come out with a Monoi fragrance and I bought it, but it fades quickly. 

@pixiedust2 Frankensteining, or saving money in most cases, LOL!

I stay away from sulfates & silicones that are not water-soluble.  Also no parabans or mineral oil/petrolatum.   Never heard of Methylisothiazolinone though so I'll have to look into that.  

About 6 years ago I was OBSESSED with Carol's Daughter but I think they've had some formulation changes that aren't as effective.  I did recently revisit their Black Vanilla Smoothie wish has been provided a nice flashback.

@ElleElleG She sold to L'oreal and I think that's part of the changes. Such a bummer. I mean I'm happy she made bank, but it's just not all hers anymore. 

I email and message them on IG all the time begging them to reformulated the Monoi line without the Methylblahblahblah. It's a preservative that is normally safe, but started being used in place of parabens when everyone freaked out. So now it's in everything and they're finding it's causing allergic reactions, dermatitis and hair loss! It's in conditioners, shampoos, deodorant, baby wipes, face masks. I threw away a ton of products. If you google the name plus reaction or allergy, you will find a ton of info. The baby wipes are how U.K. doctors figured it out. Poor babes and their parents' hands 😞

Yeah, that's the downside to business owners selling off to a larger corporation.  The overall quality of the products went way down.  Let's hope they listen to your recommendation!

That's really sad!  It's interesting that it takes a mass production/mass bad reactions before companies reevaluate formulas.  I know they test their products beforehand.  Although, depending on the company/parent company it's likely one of those cheap filler alternatives that they throw in thinking no one will notice because it works roughly the same. @pixiedust2

Well you reminded me of a story! Yes to being irritated with high end skincare being a lot of filler - so I was trying out Mario Badescu's Hyaluronic Eye Cream (thankfully it was just a sample). The sample didn't come with the ingredients so I was applying it and thinking it was garbage, pulled out my phone to look, and HA was the LAST ingredient - after a lot of fillers. I was so mad that I literally screamed. My SO came running to the bathroom to check on me hahaha 😂

But really, it's offensive to me to call a product by the last ingredient in it - I can tell you that is a tiny, tiny percentage of HA in that garbage!

@Alicehoopz I hear ya girl! That really grinds my gears LOL! I especially love caffeine eye creams...and caffeine is listed like #15 in the list. That's what excited me so much about The Ordinary Caffeine Serum. It's the first ingredient! Woohoo! LOL!

I wish the good old MAC would come back @pixiedust2!  I still don't have ABH MR 😂😂😂

@veronika23 I was VERY late to the ABH MR game. I kept talking myself out of it. Now I can't shut up about it LOL 😂

@pixiedust2😄 😄 😄

What a fun topic! I didn't realize my dislikes list until I started writing them down lol

LOVES:

• ABH - I love everything that ABH comes out with from their brow products to their lip products. I think this brand holds a special place in my heart because it was my first high end purchase ever and I like how Norvina and her mother seem to be genuinely sweet women! Definitely one of my top brands.
  • First Aid Beauty - This skincare brand has worked wonders for my skin. Before being introduced to them, I had oily acne prone skin but their products helped me stopped breaking out and control my oiliness. I will forever buy their skincare items. 
  • Marc Jacobs - I feel like Marc Jacobs Beauty products can do no wrong in my book. Everything that I have purchased from them, I absolutely loved. I also like that while it's more expensive, it's not too expensive such as Tom Ford or YSL.

DISLIKES:

• Urban Decay - Nothing about this brand wows me and they often come out with so many collabs that do not interest me. Also, I noticed that their foundation tends to oxidize on me and I've read that it has happened to other people as well. Plus their eyeshadow palettes tend to go on sale so it leaves a bad taste in my mouth whenever I read comments about people purchasing it for full price. 
  • Too Faced - Their products seem lack luster to me. The quality does not live up to the hype or the price. I have yet to find a product from them that I really enjoyed. 
Conversation Stats
Photos8
  • TBDcollection_2048x2048.jpg
  • 2017-3-31_home-slider_rock-candy.gif
  • 1484564192-mac-colour-rocker-lipsticks.jpg
  • edfe55e6e1cbfef503a6a7e7eb63a1dd.jpg
  • Terracotta-Category-3_1.jpg
  • 00.JPG
  • RBR-Calendar-Apr.jpg
  • https://media.giphy.com/media/ZO6MbrigSyaDm/giphy.gif
testing