Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential

Ask François Nars a beauty question!

Your questions have been answered! Scroll down in this thread to see François' response. Thank you all for participating!

Want first-hand advice from NARS founder, makeup artist, and backstage visionary François Nars? The legend will be checking in to BeautyTalk after New York Fashion Week to personally address your posts. Post a question here, making sure to tag it with "askNARS". Also, don’t forget to subscribe to this post to get notified when he answers your question. (Check the “Subscriptions” box on the right side of the post page.)

Check back later this month to see all of his enlightening comments.

Tags:
Anonymous Insider

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question! - Last Chance!

Here's my beauty conundrum: I'm color confused!

I have light gray eyes and dark blonde hair - a shoo-in, it seems, for colors in the cool family.  However, my skintone didn't get the memo.  I'm very fair, but with olive and yellow undertones rather than rosy overtones.  So when it comes to choosing color, what do I do?  Do I go with my cool eyes and hair or do I let my warm skin dictate the choices?

Thank you!

Thilde

Tags:
Anonymous Insider

thilde wrote:

Here's my beauty conundrum: I'm color confused!

I have light gray eyes and dark blonde hair - a shoo-in, it seems, for colors in the cool family.  However, my skintone didn't get the memo.  I'm very fair, but with olive and yellow undertones rather than rosy overtones.  So when it comes to choosing color, what do I do?  Do I go with my cool eyes and hair or do I let my warm skin dictate the choices?

Thank you!

Thilde

My general idea for someone whom can wear either warms and cools is to have fun.... Try mixing both undertones. Do a neutral warm brown tone on the eye (like Calanque Trio Eyeshadow) paired with a neutral cheek ( like Orgasm Blush since it has pink, peach and gold...so warm and cool). Finish your color by pairing a neutral( both warm and cool)-based Tzigane Lipstick. To add a fun accessory, add Easy lover Lip Gloss or Ophelia Lip Gloss for an added touch of "cool" tone.

Tags:

I am looking for a VERY fair liquid foundation! I am a very pale porcelain (think Nicole Kidman) redhead, with green eyes. i have combo/oily skin. EVERY foundation i buy turns me orange! I want a true fit. What is a good foundation that you have? Also what color blush, lipstick and shadows should i wear? Thank you so much!

Tags:
Anonymous Insider

redheadorlando wrote:

I am looking for a VERY fair liquid foundation! I am a very pale porcelain (think Nicole Kidman) redhead, with green eyes. i have combo/oily skin. EVERY foundation i buy turns me orange! I want a true fit. What is a good foundation that you have? Also what color blush, lipstick and shadows should i wear? Thank you so much!

My favorite shade of our foundation is Siberia - a shade I created with beauties like you in mind. With fair skin, any shades can be worn - but a pop of pink (Orgasm Blush) on the cheeks, or a bold matte red (Dragon Girl Velvet Matte Lip Pencil) is always a fun contrast.

Tags:
Anonymous Insider

I am a HUGE fan of NARS Cosmetics! The colors are beautiful and the texture of the products make them so easy to work with.

My question to you is: I notice you are in New York a lot making appearances. Do you plan on doing appearances in any other cities this year? We would LOVE to see you in Nashville, TN!!

Thanks for your time!

Tags:
Anonymous Insider

tammyrae wrote:

I am a HUGE fan of NARS Cosmetics! The colors are beautiful and the texture of the products make them so easy to work with.

My question to you is: I notice you are in New York a lot making appearances. Do you plan on doing appearances in any other cities this year? We would LOVE to see you in Nashville, TN!!

Thanks for your time!

I hope to do some traveling to promote my book (out in May 2011).  I will keep you posted!

Tags:
Anonymous Insider

Thank you so much for everything Francois! Your work is inspiring! I was wondering what you think the most under-appreciated product NARS has to offer is. What product is really amazing but doesnt get a lot of hype? 

Tags:
Anonymous Insider

coriander wrote:

Thank you so much for everything Francois! Your work is inspiring! I was wondering what you think the most under-appreciated product NARS has to offer is. What product is really amazing but doesnt get a lot of hype? 

Our skincare! I love it and can’t live without it. Specifically the Aqua Gel Hydrator -- an ultra-luxurious, lightweight gel-cream mask comprised of 87% water.  It delivers intense hydration to dull, dehydrated skin and is enriched with skin conditioners.  I always travel with it!

Tags:
Anonymous Insider

I'm sure that you have worked on many beautiful faces over the years. However, we are unfortunately bound to our own time and I am sure that there are many women from the past that you would have loved to have had the chance to work with. My question is this: if you could work on the face of one woman, from all of human history, who would that woman be and why? Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer our questions.

Tags:
Anonymous Insider

court1021 wrote:

I'm sure that you have worked on many beautiful faces over the years. However, we are unfortunately bound to our own time and I am sure that there are many women from the past that you would have loved to have had the chance to work with. My question is this: if you could work on the face of one woman, from all of human history, who would that woman be and why? Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer our questions.

There are so many women that I would love to work with so it is impossible for me to narrow it down to just one.

Tags:
Anonymous Insider

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

I want to get the dewey look without looking too shiny. I love using highlighters, bronzer, and blush but what that perfect sheen.

A good example is Carrie Bradshaw in sex and the city, her skin always looked so fresh. Thank you ahead of time!!

Tags:
Anonymous Insider

beeerock wrote:

I want to get the dewey look without looking too shiny. I love using highlighters, bronzer, and blush but what that perfect sheen.

A good example is Carrie Bradshaw in sex and the city, her skin always looked so fresh. Thank you ahead of time!!

Sheer Glow Foundation is the perfect place to start. Mix it with a bit of the NARS Copacabana Illuminator for an all-over dewiness that will make your skin look like it's lit from within.

Tags:

I am really interested in the beauty industry. How did you start out Nars and how did you get people to notice your brand?

Sincerely, Richele

Tags:
Anonymous Insider

glittzyz wrote:

I am really interested in the beauty industry. How did you start out Nars and how did you get people to notice your brand?

Sincerely, Richele

I created NARS over 16 years ago because I felt that other cosmetics companies couldn't provide me with what I needed.  I started NARS with 12 lipsticks sold exclusively at Barney's. I don’t ever compromise on quality. I pride myself on formulas and push our chemists at NARS to make high-pigment shades. When launching the line, I was also very specific about the packaging.  If you want to create your own line, make sure you partner with people that understand your vision.

Tags:

Hey, I'm an aspiring makeup artist. Any tips or hints on how you did it? 😄

~ fan.

askNARS

Tags:
Anonymous Insider

adicted2sephora wrote:

Hey, I'm an aspiring makeup artist. Any tips or hints on how you did it? 😄

~ fan.

askNARS

Perseverance. Some people would recommend agencies, some people would recommend freelance. I've done both, and I believe that it's really your dream and what you make of it. Talk to people; network; and travel.

Tags:

Thank you for taking our questions! I would love to hear what are the most common makeup mistakes you see women making?

Tags:
Anonymous Insider

pocketvenus wrote:

Thank you for taking our questions! I would love to hear what are the most common makeup mistakes you see women making?

I see women make a lot of mistakes with brows, or with foundation. With brows, more is always more. Too-thin brows, to me, take away from their purpose of framing the face. With foundation, it's always key to match your neck. I always see people with foundation that is too dark compared to the rest of their body.

Tags:

francoisnars wrote:

I see women make a lot of mistakes with brows, or with foundation. With brows, more is always more. Too-thin brows, to me, take away from their purpose of framing the face. With foundation, it's always key to match your neck. I always see people with foundation that is too dark compared to the rest of their body.

Thank you for sharing your valuable experience!

Anonymous Insider

Monsieur Nars, your products are simply sublime. I wore Schiap on my lips last night and felt unstoppable. So merci beaucoup for your wonderful contributions to the world of fashion and the confidence of women everywhere. My question is this: I love your brushes (especially those in the Kabuki Artisan Collection - they are phenomenal), but as a vegetarian and someone who is very interested in the rights of our furry friends I prefer to use brushes with synthetic bristles. I know that your brushes are cruelty-free because they are made simply by trimming the hair from the animal, but I was wondering if you would ever consider making a line of all synthetic brushes? I know with your genius and perfectionism that they would be tools unrivaled in the makeup industry. Thank you for your time and I look forward to seeing what marvels you come up with next. Bon chance in your endeavors!

Tags:
Conversation Stats
  • 47 replies
  • 30 Hearts Given
  • 24 Contributors
testing