Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

Are you "trialing" a new product ? Want to talk about it ?

trying new products can be...overwhelming. do you love a product because it works ? can you tell right away if it's performing the way you want it to ? sometimes i'm so happy to finally try something and let my enthusiasm blind my actual impression of it (at least at first Smiley Wink )

it takes time to come to proper conclusions ! particularly when it comes to skincare, but makeup too.

so here's a thread where we can discuss our experiences while trying a product  for a first time. it can also be a place that people can reference if they're considering a new product.

right now i'm trying a sample of the REN v-cense night cream. i've only used it for 2 nights so far, but i LOVE IT. i love it so much i'm tempted to go ahead and grab it up, but i need to make sure it doesn't break me out over time (it contains shea butter which *can* be a breakout trigger for me, but not necessarily). it smells of frankincense which i adore, but i know for some people would be a turn off.

i'm also checking out the VICHY aqualia thermal serum. i really love the CAUDALIE vinosource s.o.s. thirst quenching serum, and prefer the texture of it to the VICHY, but think the caudalie may break me out slightly (i also was probably overusing it...i was very enthusiastic). so i'm just trying to figure out which i prefer.

how about you ?

post trial edit about the products above: i had to skip on the REN because the shea butter in it was too heavy for my skin. and i suppose buying something simply for the smell isn't the best use of my moola Smiley Wink

the VICHY aqualia thermal serum, however, is in my permanent arsenal. i've already repurchased once since starting this thread, and have turned a few people on to it too ! 

Re: Are you "trialing" a new product ? Want to talk about it ?

I'm still testing Bobbi Brown's Bronze Glow highlighter. Not sure about it because it doesn't show up very much on my skintone. I am still undecided as to whether it's really worth the price (although I did get it during the VIB sale). I keep wearing it hoping I'll fall in love but so far I'm not.

These are kind of old news but just trying them out and I LOVE:

1. Perricone MD No makeup blush. Awesome with full and light make-up.

2. IT CC Cream. I love this stuff, although it has zero staying power on me without a primer. Its the best full coverage/light feel foundation I've found that matches me pretty well.

3. Cover FX's calming primer. I had some kind of crazy hormonal thing happening and my jawline was a total mess. This was a great primer while I was healing those monsters.

4. Bite's agave lip mask. I'm in love with lipsticks and stains. I've only ever worn balm but that 30 day lip challenge pushed me into the wonderful world of bold lips. I've fallen hard and my lips have paid the price. I got a generous sample of this at my local Sephora and I've been using it for a week. I'm sold. It works. Moisturized, smooth lips by morning.

Edit: Have to add Givency Le Rouge 107 Beige Caraco and KVD Prayer. Givenchy lip is the most perfect lipstick texturally I've ever put on my lips.

i'm also trialing REN rosa centifolia hot cloth cleanser, so i'll report back here. i've already found my new HG cleanser (nude perfect cleanse omega jelly) but i really really wanted a rosey "treat" cleanser. it was between the hot cloth cleanser or the rosa centifolia balm (which i've had before and LOVED)...i went for the hot cloth frankly because it was cheaper and i wanted to get eye shadows too haha. plus, i wanted to try something new.

Jem, thanks so much for this thread, as I am constantly trialling new skincare products, and I also love to read about the experience of others Smiley Happy 

I'm currently trialling Verso's Day Cream, which was a decent sized sample, and a week was enough to make me feel it really is a great product (that Retinol-8 stuff really does the business), but I'm worried about wearing too much retinol for day, especially when working overseas in warm climates, so I'm hesitant on purchasing.

I'm also trialling Ren's Bio Retinoid Oil. So far I'm liking it a lot, but I'm concerned I'm layering too many retinol products at night now, although my skin seems to like it, so maybe at my age it's no bad thing? I think I'd definitely buy this again, but I have a need to try a few other oils first, as I'd addicted to trying new products! I don't like this as much as Sunday Riley's Artemis, BUT I think I prefer to fact it's loaded with retinol, while the Sunday Riley is not ...

In addition I'm trialling a number of products from the French brand Collins Resultime. I've had generous samples of their collagen plumping gel, their smoothing cream, collagen plumping eye cream, and CC Creams, and frankly, I'm impressed. The CC creams are almost becoming my HG, despite the fact they only sell 2 shades and I have to mix both to match my skin tone; they have great coverage, last 12 hours, make your skin glow, and look more natural than any similar product I've tried. I'm also a big fan of the Collagen Plumping Gel, while I've yet to decide on the eye cream, and I feel the smoothing cream may not be sufficient for mature skin.

I'm also trialling Algenist's Eye Renewal Balm, their Anti Ageing Eye Cream, and their retinol heavy serum. So far I am most impressed by the eye products, as both do a great job of eliminating my under eye darkness and plumping up any fine lines. However they're not as effective as Zelen's Triple Action Eye Cream for me, although they are more of a pleasure to use and better value for money as you get a lot more product and it goes further, but the Zelen's is great for my mature under eye skin. I'm on the fence as to whether it's as good as La Prairie's White Caviar Eye Cream, but it's certainly less expensive! 

I've also been testing out under eye serums. I've tried Sunday Riley's Start Over, Estee Lauder's Night Repair, and Verso's Super Eye Serum, and the latter works best for my mature under eye skin due to the high retinol content.

I finally used up my last sample of Sunday Riley's Bionic Cream, and I have to say that for my mature skin it really is a great product, at least as good as any of those I've been addicted to from La Prairie and La Mer, and actually, due to the amazing ingredient list, it is probably superior. I'll definitely purchase.

In makeup, I've been trialling 3 Custom Colors Brightening Eye Powder, which is a pinkish shade intended to look natural, and I love it; it does wake my eye up, and it wears extremely well. I'm also trialling Jouer's Cream Eyeshadow, which I've taken in a pale-pinkish shade, and I absolutely love it; it lasts all day without primer, and makes my eyes look amazing, so I finally hit on the right color range for my weird skin tone!

I just received my latest Space NK order, so I am about to trial DDG's Retinol and Vitamin C Serums, which I have high hopes for, but I'm afraid the retinol serum may not be as good as Verso's.

A few days ago I bought Ole Henriksen's Walnut Complexion Scrub to try out because I've never tried an exfoliator before. It smells really good so I was so excited to try it. I only tried it once but man, my skin has never been so soft! I was so amazed. I followed up with my Shiseido IBUKI Softening Concentrate and Ole Henriksen Sheer Transformation and just WOW. I couldn't stop touching my face because of how soft it was! I can't wait to use it again.

I've been using First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Overnight Mask for about 2 weeks or so. I wanted try something else from the FAB line to use instead of the Facial Radiance Pads. The pads are too strong for my face and make it hurt unfortunately. So far I really like the overnight mask. It's very thick and feels a little greasy when first applied, but after 5-10 minutes it soaks in nicely. In the morning my face looks refreshed, rosy and soft.  I think it's a keeper!

Update: The Ren Bio-retinoid Oil looks set to become a member of my skincare family! It has all the anti ageing benefits of any retinoid, and at my age, the more retinol one uses, the better one's skin looks, but I'm also super impressed by the fact that if I use it in the morning, it keeps my T-zone oil free all day! This was an unexpected but oh so welcome outcome of adding this to my routine.

The issue I face now is: How much oil is too much? I want to layer different oils that do different things; is this okay? Did anyone try it?

Oh, I forgot to mention, I did the Cult Beauty GWP this week, and am finally trying the much raved about Cult 51 Night Cream. I've only used it once so far, but I woke with impressively plump, moisturized, skin, tightened pores, and my skin glowed. Even my devastating rapid collagen depletion over recent months was less obvious Smiley Happy

I have been trialing the FAB Ultra Repair Cream as a night cream the past 2 weeks or so. I have severely dry skin and it seems to be helping. I remember trying a foil sample of this before and did not like the smell but the tube I have (I bought the small $12 size) smells fine and totally different. Maybe it's a thing with some FAB products?

This is a really great thread, jemly. What a good idea!

For the last few weeks, I have been testing out First Aid Beauty's Facial Radiance Pads! I have had the 28 pack for a while but I have never consistently used them. I no longer use the Clarisonic every day so these are good to use on the days that I am not using the Clarisonic. I really love how they give my skin a very light exfoliation and leave me with a very healthy glow. I haven't noticed a huge difference yet, but I have not experienced any sort of adverse effects. I have tried only exfoliating pads in the past that have stung my face or irritated my face and I have found that these pads are extremely gentle. I am hoping with continued use the licorice root extract in them helps to fade some of the pigmentation on my face. I will give you all an update after I finish my first container!

<3, Randee

I am absolutely gaga over a new lip balm, Nuxe Reve de Miel. Leaves a matte finish that is very conducive to applying matte lipsticks over, is the lip color stays all day but yet my lips don't dry out. At night I apply before bed and I can feel it in the morning.  The most original thing about this product is the matte finish yet it feels great on the lips. Hydrating but not slick and gooey. I will never be without!

On black friday I got two of the tarte mascara, lip gloss, and blush $10 sets. I thought the value was real good and I knew I would use the lip gloss and mascara, but because I am extremely picky over what blush I use I figured I wouldn't like the blush and that it might go to waste. Well I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it and ended up becoming completely in love with it! It's a beautiful strawberry milk/baby doll pink color. I think it may become my new favorite blush. I'm super glad I picked up two of them because I know I will be using them very much in the future.

Black Friday Makeup has arrived! So now I am experimenting with Naked 3 and Tom Ford's Nude Dip! Such fun! Smiley Happy

I started using the Bobbi Brown face cream (face base?) at night just a couple of days ago.  I bought this a long time ago (on a lark) and I found it to be too rich for me.  The entire pot of cream was almost untouched. 

Now that it is winter and I am back to a comfortable skincare routine, I though I would use it as my night cream.  It has felt good in the two days that I have used it.  The cream sinks into your skin and is definitely moisturizing.  I think it will stay as a winter's night cream for me

I'm doing client Skype meeting today, and decided to try out a South Korean BB Cream I got a full-size tube of in a mega GWP (from Cult Beauty or Space NK, I can't recall). It is from a brand called Erborian, and it's full title is: BB Creme AU Ginseng. I decided to post because it is actually a really fabulous product; the shade adjusted to my chin, and although it is meant to be 'sheer', the coverage is easily enough even for my maturing skin. It is also very moisturizing, and gives the skin a lovely glow Smiley Happy

I tried the Boscia black mask today. I have to say it, it really is like a pore strip for your entire face. I like it better than the white mask in terms of it is much easier to peel off. However, this did sting a little when I peeled it and left me a little red. I think I'm going to try it again next week. 

I tried the Ole Youth oil today. No breakouts, and I don't think I turned orange from it. No flushing either.

But I thought I had on Orange Sanguine for hours.

I have enough to use it for tonight too, but the smell is a no go for me.

Update: I am in love with Zelen's 3T Anti-Ageing Cream - I put it on during the flight back from New Delhi, and reapplied before disembarking the flight, then applied it once again before a Cocktail party, and again before a dinner party, and it actually makes my face look the way it looked 10 years ago again! I am mixing it with Sunday Riley's Juno Oil, so that brand deserves a shout out too, but even my husband noticed how different I look, and all my friends remarked on how well and rested and young I looked, which given the truth of my crazy manic Christmas week, which included 4 long haul flights, was great to hear! This is meant for day and night but I'm using it as a day cream.

I'm also seeing great results using a combination of Juno with Cult 51 and Sunday Riley's Bionic Cream at night (along with layers of Verso's retinol serums); I'm actually stunned at the difference it is all making and so rapidly too! I am still doing the DDG Extra Strength peel every night too, which I probably should mention. For the eyes, I've turned back to La Prairie for nights for now, but am still using Zelen's Triple Action for day. I'm disappointed that I've had too resort to La Prairie (since their prices are crazy), but it was either that or the husband was going to drag me to some awful clinic to get Jevederm fillers under my eyes, and I'm so scared of any weird substance going into my face!

This week I decided to use the night calming deep cleansing face wash from clean & clear(I got a sample in a GWP from Ulta) It has made my face so ITCHY! I can't stand it!Smiley Sad

I wanted to add a new item that I have used sporadically - but now it has caught my attention.

It is the NARS Skin Restorative Night Treatment.  I got several sample tubes of this from my sweet SA at Nordstroms.  She knows that I travel several times a month on work, and I like to carry mini and sample size products with me.  Between the dry air in flights, awful hotel humidity settings, and traveling to really cold places ....my skin is parched this season.  This is a very balmy cream.  It feels fabulous!  It really hydrates and softens. 

The full size is $85.  I am going to try this out a few times when I am home to see if it is worthwhile for winters.   I recommend trying this. 

I also have samples of their brightening serum.  I am happy with the serum I use now, so I doubt I will purchase this.

I just began to trial DDG's Ferulic Acid & Retinol Treatment. Smells like you're rubbing fish oil on your face (which might not be a bad idea). I've read all the reviews. I know it is supposed to be brilliant, but it does dry my skin out, which I don't like, so I'm layering oil over it. No immediate gratifying transformation of skin, but I'll give it 4 weeks, and see what happens. I have received compliments on my skin since using it, but is this because I'm using an extra layer of oil to keep it from totally drying me out? Who knows. Interesting conundrum ...

Last night I tried the NUDE Purify Deep Cleansing Mask.

From the sample I got at Sephora, I couldn't really tell if the clay "mousse" texture was there.  The pot was so small I wasn't getting a lot on my fingers to gauge much of the consistency.  On application if felt mildly gritty.

I will say, it didn't sting, smell bad, or leave my skin uncomfortably tight afterwards.  When I rinsed it off, it had a nice gentle exfoliation, and as I rinsed it had a similar sensation to that of a cleansing balm, with a slightly slick, oily feeling.  My skin felt very smooth and hydrated once I was done.  This morning when I woke up, my skin still felt super soft and plush.  

I have enough in the pot to hopefully try once more, and if I still like it I might buy one before the skincare promo is over.  I haven't determined whether it is worth $60CDN yet or not.  I wanted to also sample the Dermadoctor Kakadu mask, but my Sephora did not have that in store.  Anyone out there tried it yet?

I tried the philosophy foundation and started getting red bumps in my chin area & they were itchy. I am not 100% sure it is from the foundation, but I do recall using a philosophy moisturizer foil before and getting an itchy sensation. I wasn't trying anything else different from my regular routine that day, & I don't normally have these itchy bumps. I don't want to take my chances so the foundation is going back. I might just be allergic to philosophy face products. 

I just placed a skincare haul with some brand new items. Especially the Tarte Neck cream because I haven't even heard feedback yet on YouTube or anything. Trying the GlamGlow SuperCleanse for the first time as well. The last new item would be the Korres Promogranite  wipes. Also the new Philosophy renewed eye cream.

2,370 Replies