Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

Are you "trialing" a new product ? Want to talk about it ?

trying new products can be...overwhelming. do you love a product because it works ? can you tell right away if it's performing the way you want it to ? sometimes i'm so happy to finally try something and let my enthusiasm blind my actual impression of it (at least at first Smiley Wink )

it takes time to come to proper conclusions ! particularly when it comes to skincare, but makeup too.

so here's a thread where we can discuss our experiences while trying a product  for a first time. it can also be a place that people can reference if they're considering a new product.

right now i'm trying a sample of the REN v-cense night cream. i've only used it for 2 nights so far, but i LOVE IT. i love it so much i'm tempted to go ahead and grab it up, but i need to make sure it doesn't break me out over time (it contains shea butter which *can* be a breakout trigger for me, but not necessarily). it smells of frankincense which i adore, but i know for some people would be a turn off.

i'm also checking out the VICHY aqualia thermal serum. i really love the CAUDALIE vinosource s.o.s. thirst quenching serum, and prefer the texture of it to the VICHY, but think the caudalie may break me out slightly (i also was probably overusing it...i was very enthusiastic). so i'm just trying to figure out which i prefer.

how about you ?

post trial edit about the products above: i had to skip on the REN because the shea butter in it was too heavy for my skin. and i suppose buying something simply for the smell isn't the best use of my moola Smiley Wink

the VICHY aqualia thermal serum, however, is in my permanent arsenal. i've already repurchased once since starting this thread, and have turned a few people on to it too ! 

RE: Are you \"trialing\" a new product ? Want to talk about it ?

Right now I’m trialing the Huda Beauty Faux Filter Foundation. This is my second day wearing it and so far I’m not very impressed. The color I selected is a little dark, but workable but it smells so fake. There’s an artificial scent to it that I can’t quite put my finger on and it’s not pleasant. The coverage is nice and the finish is ok, but it doesn’t WOW me. I don’t feel like it holds a candle to my Stila, YSL, or Danessa Myricks in terms of finish. My nose is getting oily quickly in it, but I’m going to give it the good one week try while testing different prep methods before making my final decision.

Re: Are you "trialing" a new product ? Want to talk about it ?

So far, all my recent trials have been successful!

- Huda Beauty Faux Filter Foundation (shade Milkshake) - this is a great shade match for my ultra fair skin! It's verrrry thick so I have to apply it with a damp beauty blender and take my time blending, but I love the finish. It's easy to control the amount of coverage, even though this can be a full coverage foundation. Which is nice because I prefer a light-medium coverage. It does have a scent to it, which is odd. I notice it for a couple hours after application. I do think it's pretty transfer and water resistant. 

- Embryolisse Lait-Creme Concentre - this has been amazing for my dry skin. I don't have much to say about it other than it's wonderful.

- Natasha Denona Chroma Chrystal topcoat (shade peach) - this is so pretty! I'm not a ND fan, but I love this sparkly shadow thing. IMO it feels like the Chanel Illusion de Ombre shadows (in a smaller jar). With my finger I got opaque coverage, and the glitter stayed in place all day. I didn't see any fading or traveling sparkles!

Also, I've been testing SR Luna oil for almost a month now... And, I can't see it doing anything for me. 

First I was using it every 3rd night. Then every 2nd night. Was happy there was no any kind of negative reaction, at least ( well, not at first ). Last week I started using it every night as I was hoping it's gonna help with... well, finally doing something for me. But, after using it for 3 nights in a row, my skin got very angry. So, I stopped using it all together. Trying to recuperate right now.

I do plan to resume testing once my skin gets better, using it maybe three times a week. Maybe my skin just didn't like it every night, and I should listen to what it's telling me. Smiley Happy So, I will continue using it until I run out of my deluxe sample ( if my skin doesn't get angry again, that is ), and see what happens. But, so far... I'm not impressed. And I do doubt things will change. But, let's see.

I've tried it alone, on freshly cleansed skin, nothing before or after. Then same thing with a toner in between. I've also tried it with my night cream over it. Didn't see any difference between different ways of using it.

Yeah, the oil stinks. Kinda fishy. But, nothing I couldn't handle.

Also, I have to say I'm disappointed to see artificial dyes ( Green 6 and Violet 2 ) in this kind of product. ( No wonder the oil is so blue/green! )

I wanted to ask you, Lyra, in what way did your skin get angry?

I've been trying it for a few days now (along with a couple of other things) and my skin is so pissed off at me.

(Like when I found out that something in the old MUFE HD formula made me break out with painful acne..)

I'm not sure what it is so am taking a break from all.

I also am bummed about the artificial dye.

I don't really understand why it needs to be "enhanced" this way..

I broke out in weirdest pimples I (n)ever had all over my face, even down my neck ( I don't ever have pimples there ). My skin is red, flaky and terribly dried out. My pores are congested. I know this could be retinol... but, after a month of using the product without a single problem?! I don't know.

This is  the only new stuff I was trialing at that time. That is what I always do with new stuff - I test one product at a time, so if something gives me trouble I know exactly what it is.

I don't understand it either. How are those artificial dyes gonna help the product work better for me? And, if they're there strictly for the good looks of the product ( as I suspect they are )... are you friggin serious?! Yes, I have a problem with adding completely unnecessary ingredients to my skin care products. And, I find artificial dyes in skin care products repelling. Especially when they claim to be: "made with organic, cold pressed oils and potent botanicals."

I ordered the SR Luna Oil and it should be getting here last week after reading all of the rave reviews about it and it should be getting here tomorrow. I'd read about the smell, but didn't know about the artificial dyes. Looks like I'll be returning this one without even trying it :/.

Per Sunday Riley, the dyes make up .04 of the product and were added to visually help the application process and are harmless to the skin. 

But the product is naturally blue from the blue tansy, so I suspect the others just deepen the color. 

If that helps...

That's an interesting explanation. I wonder how was I ever capable of applying my colorless products without artificial dyes in them? Smiley Very Happy

Thanks, but no artificial dyes in my skin care. Just my personal preference. 

Luna acts the same way for me as well. I thought I was just an outlier! I have taken 2 weeks off and my skin is finally clearing up. I think I am going to give it another week and then try it again. I was up to using it every other day when I noticed congestion on my chin -  I will try every 3-4 days next to see if that helps, otherwise I'll bump it down to every 5th-ish day?

Never thought about them adding dye, but now that you mention it…does seems little strange

Lyra, Zpsid:

I am on a Luna break.  But right now it is on probation.  I have a bug bite that is still camping out on my face.  Once that is gone...I might give it a go again. 

Hopefully it works out - I'll give an update once I've tried it again

I am eager to hear about it Zpsid.

Once my face bump goes away, I will give this a go.

I am so glad you all posted about your experience so far with SR LUNA. I too, thought I was the odd girl out because everyone raves about how great it is and I saw no difference good or bad. So it's nice to know I'm not the only one. And why do they add that coloring to it? I originally thought it was due to an ingredient in it but when I found out it was dye it confused me.

greenchilli, I hope your bug bite gets better soon. Have you seen any improvement in it?

Greenchilli, I read another one of your posts regarding that bug bite. How long has it been there?  I'm just worried about you. I had a bite on my hand that didn't go away for two months. It was really bizarre. I finally went to the doctor and had to get antibiotics to clear it up. Dr. said it was infected. Just keep an eye on it if it's not going away or stays too puffy. Hydrocortisone cream should help with the puffiness. 

Hi Pixie,

I think its been longer than two weeks.  I first thought it was a zit (cyst) in the making.  But it behaved so oddly - not like a zit at all.  It never came to a head, changed colours, and just sat there like a chump.

It was first a bit pink/red, then turned really dark and pigmented.  The swelling is less now, so I can slap on concealer and it just looks like a big black mole on my face (concealer can only do so much).  I am just glad it is not as swollen as it once was.  I really don't mnd spots on my face or dark marks, I just don't want to scare the chirruns.

I am using a medicated bandaid at night.  have no idea if it helps.  But it is all mental now. 

Hmmm, that's what I thought. Two weeks is a long time if it's not getting any better. I just don't want you to have a permanent mark on your face. Mine started out as a big red bump. It looked like it was healing a week later (I was taking Benadryl for the swelling and putting hydrocortisone on it), but then it got all puffy and pink again. It then dried up and I thought it was gone. Then it started its cycle all over again, puffy and red. So two months later, I went to the doctor. 

Please keep an eye on it. Clean it with peroxide and if it's not better soon, please consider seeing your Dr.  It might be infected. I just think the swelling should be gone by now. I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV Smiley Very Happy

I hope it doesn't get worse Pixie.

The thing is, there is no wound or scratch or anything.  It is a smooth bump under the skin that changes colours. 

I will give it a few days and see how it goes.  If not I gotta go see a doctor. 

Yes please do. You're face is much too pretty to mess with! Might just need a cortisone shot or some antibiotics. 

Awww, thanks Pixie :-)

I don't have a dermatoligist on payroll...I should have thought of that before.  So when I return home (am away on business), I need to find one that can see me quickly. 

The 3-D nature of the bump is less (although I can feel some hardness still).  So you can't really see it when you look at my face from the front.  But when you see my left cheek....it looks like a large birthmark.  

When I go home I will take a picture of my cheek and share it with the world.

If you can't find a derm quickly, maybe just see your general practitioner? That's who I saw for mine. And if they think they need to send you to a derm, maybe they have a good referral. 

2,372 Replies