Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential
|

All about backups (and backups of the backups)

For the last year I have really tried to stop buying so much of anything beauty related since it amassed to more than I can use in a timely manner.  

Which leads me to questions about backups.  I consider a backup a product  an identical product or one I have more than one of that serves the same purpose, e.g. having several face washes that help acne, yet they are different in brand or having several face masks that are moisturizing.

I did an inventory and I see that i tend to hoard face washes and toners, and I have an abundancy of face masks, even though many of them serve the exact same purpose, and usage depends on how I feel or what I consider my fav at the moment.

Here are my questions for you:

1.  How many backups do you have of any one product?

2.  What product makes you panic if you run low or have no backup?

3.  How many backups is too many?

4.  Do you hoard more than one of the exact same product or just have many of the same type of product?

5.  Whats the one product you will never let run out?

6.  What product do you have backups for that you regret?

7.  What product do you wish you had backups for, but is no longer available?

8.  When do you buy the backup (i.e. do you buy it when you open the last one or do you buy it well before the last one is opened?)

9. Where do you store the backups?  Do you stop buying bc you run out of room or just find room somewhere?

What did I leave out?

Re: All about backups (and backups of the backups)

Depends on the product.  I don't usually buy backups unless there is a really good sale/promo.  Most of the things I have backups up (GlamGlow) were cases where there was a rare BOGO.

In general I wouldn't say I panic because there is a Sephora right next to my train stop so it's really easy to stock up on something if I run out.  But I did get Caudalie Premier Cru Elixir before I finished up the other bottle because I haven't find another oil I like as much.

It depends on the product.  I got four FAB Ultra Repair Instant Oatmeal Masks when there was a % off and a promo gift.  Way too much.

4.  Do you hoard more than one of the exact same product or just have many of the same type of product?

Both.

My Davines Oi shampoo/conditioner line.  I always have some for as soon as I run out.

The FAB mask mentioned above.  I LOVE it but I just have way, way too many.

None come to mind.

8.  When do you buy the backup (i.e. do you buy it when you open the last one or do you buy it well before the last one is opened?)

If there isn't a promo I'll buy it as I'm getting to the bottom of the last one.  If there is a promo I tend to buy it whenever there is a good deal as long as I don't have too many other backups.

9. Where do you store the backups?  Do you stop buying bc you run out of room or just find room somewhere?

I have a big basket underneath my sink.

1. How many backups do you have of any one product?

These days, just one.  I'm trying to cut back on clutter.
2. What product makes you panic if you run low or have no backup?

My Paula's Choice BHA 2% Liquid or SPF in general.
3. How many backups is too many?

More than one.  It's too easy for the product to go bad, to tire of the product, or to develop an aversion tot he product before getting to the backup.
4. Do you hoard more than one of the exact same product or just have many of the same type of product?

No.  I would maybe do it with my PC BHA if there was a really good sale because I've been using it consistently for five years or so.
5. Whats the one product you will never let run out?

PC BHA!
6. What product do you have backups for that you regret?

I have a body moisturizer I bought at Marshalls on a whim and now I don't really want it.  This has happened with most of my Marshalls purchases.  I should really stop shopping there.  It was really cheap so I might just get rid of it.  Body products in generally are where I've most often gotten myself in trouble backup wise.  If I buy something 6 months before I need it I most likely won't be in the mood for the scent when I open it.
7. What product do you wish you had backups for, but is no longer available?

Clean Shower Fresh body mist (can't remember exactly what it was called).  It was my favorite thing to use as a pick me up during the summer at the end of a work day or any time I wanted to freshen up.  I also just found out the Lush changed the formula of the Melting Marshmallow Moment bath melt and I'm so sad I don't have any left.  The new one looks very sparkly and small.
8. When do you buy the backup (i.e. do you buy it when you open the last one or do you buy it well before the last one is opened?)

Ideally a couple weeks before I think I'm going to run out, in reality I usually over react and it take more like a month or two before I actually run out.
9. Where do you store the backups? Do you stop buying bc you run out of room or just find room somewhere?  

In my bedroom closet.

That's annoying about the LUSH formula change.  I'm obsessed with their Ocean Salt so if they changed or discontinued it I'd be upset.

I also get tired of the scent and wish I didn't buy a back up.  But deals get us all...I am seriously trying to declutter, and my spending has cut way back.

1. At one point I had 6 bottles of KGD cleansing water. Now I try to only have enough backup for a year and no more.

2. Dior toner, Dr. Brandt microdermabrasion and a facial oil.

3. More than a year's worth, so more than 2.

4. Both

5. same as 2.

6. mmmm.... I do remember a few product where I really liked it on the first try so I immediately got a backup, but after a few weeks it's nothing special and I wish I haven't bought a backup. Su:m37 rose cleansing stick is the latest

7. I don't remember, I hate having my favorite being discontinued, so once I found a fav, my first priority is to find a similar one as backup in case it's discontinued.

8. When there is a good sale and I have no back up (or only 1 backup) left. If I have 2 or more backups, I pass.

9. In a cool dark place, closet or drawers.

I'm a skincare addict, so all things above refers to skincare.

1. Zero to a lot, if you count type of product versus the specific item. For instance, I have a ton on sunscreen but still picked up 15 more pieces in the Sun Safety Kit. I do not have more than 4 of any 1 product though. 

2. Moisturizers. I apply moisturizer after every single wash (body, face, hands, feet, etc). If I am out and forget hand lotion, I will buy a new one. There is no way I am going a single wash without reapplying. My skin will(should) crack and peel (I want the fire back), especially in the winter.

3. More than you can use. If I realize I have more than I can ever use, I start gifting, donating, or trading. When it comes to moisturizers, I use so much that I have faith I can use them all. Thus, I can never have too many of those.

4. Yes, if I really love a particular item, I will buy multiples when I find them at a great price or buy in advance if I need something I know will work when I want a great promo.

5. Moisturizer. I know I am a broken record here, but my dry skin and OCD make it hard to focus on anything else when I find myself somewhere I do not have any.

6. Unless I really love something, I try not to buy more than one backup, so I am all good here. It does stink when you sample something you love and buy it, but the full-size is not as good. I guess even one purchase is too many in those cases.

7. I just finished my OGX Split End Mender and searched everywhere to find another. It fell off the face of the earth. Had I known, I would have purchased more. I got lucky with another product recently, so I am hoping that happens here. After using the last of my Ulta Peppermint Cracked Heel treatment, I noticed they stopped selling it. On a random in-store trip, I found them on clearance and purchased three. That was nice.

8. I try to always buy far enough in advance for two reasons. I hate running out of things and not having them for a while. Buying in advance also helps me purchase them with the best deal or promo. If you wait until the last minute, you have to take whatever offer is available. 

9. I have a large bucket and 18 mini buckets for my backups. They go in my linen closet. Many are overflowing, so the lids will not go on them. I refuse to have 20 buckets though, because 19 just seems less insane than 20.

You're my moisturizer idol.  I SHOULD apply moisturizer that often because I have quite dry skin but I'm not as good about it as you are.

I also love your logic on the mini buckets.  :-)

It took me years to do it without fail. When my younger son was little, I never took the time to moisturize my body (still always did my hands and face). I took really fast showers, too, so I was never away from him too long. Once he reached about 2.5, I started again and have not skipped since. He will be 5 next week. 

I just realized I have 20 buckets (19 mini), so I am officially a loon. What is a few more at this point!

*In fairness, the 20th bucket holds collectables, like compacts and hair ties. Stuff like that, so it does not expire.

I always like seeing pictures of ur stash!   I love deluxe sizes and buckets of skincare!

I may add some pictures later. I have not put anything away in the last few weeks. I usually keep everything new in a bag in the closet and put them away after it fills up. Taking the time to sort through all the buckets with every order is too time consuming. My bag is finally full though.

1. How many backups do you have of any one product?
Makeup? Rarely one (I think I have 3 makeup backups total). Skincare/Bath&Body it depends on the product. The ones I use regularly I try to have a backup of when it's not something that will go bad. My favorite shower gel was discontinued so I have 3 of that waiting for me.
2. What product makes you panic if you run low or have no backup?
Eye makeup remover.
3. How many backups is too many?
more than you can use before it goes bad.
4. Do you hoard more than one of the exact same product or just have many of the same type of product?
Hmm... both?
5. Whats the one product you will never let run out?
Mascara (not that I see that being an issue).
6. What product do you have backups for that you regret?
Probably body lotion. I'm terrible at using it consistently.
7. What product do you wish you had backups for, but is no longer available?
I can't think of any.
8. When do you buy the backup (i.e. do you buy it when you open the last one or do you buy it well before the last one is opened?)
Generally when I have a few weeks of product left, but if there's a sale I will stock up on something before then.
9. Where do you store the backups? Do you stop buying bc you run out of room or just find room somewhere?
Closet in the guest room. This is also where I keep my nail polish and travel stuff. If I run out of room someone please stage an intervention. Oh, but sheet masks. I think I may need that intervention already. Those are in a pull out drawer under the guest bed.

The only "backups" I have are products that I use daily that are about to run out. For example, I currently have an extra tube of Hourglass Veil mineral primer in my drawer, but that's because the tube I'm currently using has only about 10% left.

N/A - if I'm running low on something I use daily, I will order or hop over to Sephora during lunch hour!

For me, 2 of anything...

I have many mini mascaras (samples), blushes, and liquid foundations/BB creams. I went through a phase of trying out a bunch of foundations and since finding one I love I stopped using a few of them...

Most of my daily items--primer, concealer, foundation.

None. I had a backup of a lipstick once, I ended up giving it away because there was no way I could use up that lipstick!

Nude Skincare Rescue Oil, I thought I found my HG facial oil...then they stopped carrying it in North America and it's way too $$$ to order from the UK!

Usually when I'm down to the last 25% of something

I have a desk with drawers that I use as my vanity, plus an ikea storage unit to store extra makeup!

@k617 is that the nude oil that came out last summer?

i have a bunch of the minis from holiday kits and it doesn't work for me so I'd be happy to send them to you if you want - just PM me

That's really nice of u Mocha!  You've always been so generous.

Smiley Surprised P! PM'ed you!

It depends but usually 2, if it something I use daily  & love. 

Cleanser, mascara, Chap-stick, shampoo. 

I'm running out of space currently, but 3-4 of the same item. 

I know I have way to many mascaras, and face wash. 

mascara

Moisturizer, I Have way to many I know I cant use them all. 

A few Essie nail polishes that were summer edition etc. 

I will usually wait until I'm half way with a product so I can give my self time to actually get it in stock. 

I'm out of space, really just need to use everything in my collection. 

I have lots of backups, but of the same item, usually just 1 (with the exception of shampoo/conditioner - I might have 2 backups since I buy them on sale or with coupons).

Foundation, setting powder and hair conditioner.

3 or more.

I only keep one backup of the exact same item, but I do have many of the same type of product.

Foundation

Probably primers since I keep finding new ones I like, but can't purchase until I use up the ones I have.

Nothing that I can think of.

When I open the last one or when it is on sale.

Linen closet or in my makeshift vanity drawers.  I have run out of room and after my last order arrives, I'm on a no-buy unless an everyday item runs out.

Fun thread idea and very thought-provoking!

I typically will keep 1-2 backups of my faves.

Cleanser, moisturizer, and mascara. I must have at least 2 of each on hand at all times!

I have limited drawer/counter space, so I say > 3 is too many.

I do hoard my specific cleanser (Boscia Makeup Breakup), but I have a few different mascaras and moisturizers on deck.

Ditto to # 2, I can't let those three run out. Evar!

I currently have an excessive number of nail top/base coats on reserve. Not sure why I did that to myself...

Not exactly "no longer available" but almost: I just bought a couple more of the Sephora Rouge Infusion lip stains because they're going away.

I'll usually buy the backup right when I open my last one of whatever it is. Like, I just started a new cleanser a couple days ago, so I know I need to re-order it now.

I have a few of those clear plastic drawer things you can get at Target to store my stash. I used to only have one... Smiley Very Happy

1. How many backups do you have of any one product? Usually 1 backup, 2 at most if it's something I'd use regularly

2.  What product makes you panic if you run low or have no backup? Moisturizer. I have combo skin with dry patches and need my moisturizer (I never know when my skin will want to be super dry).

3.  How many backups is too many? more than 3

4.  Do you hoard more than one of the exact same product or just have many of the same type of product? Mostly many of the same type of product. I like trying out new things so I try not to be too many of the exact same product (unless it's my HG)

5.  Whats the one product you will never let run out? Moisturizer and eyeliner (lorac pro liner is my fav)

6.  What product do you have backups for that you regret? Eye primers. I have quite a bit of too faced and UD primers. They are my favorite eye primers, but really how much eye primer does one really need?

7.  What product do you wish you had backups for, but is no longer available? Rock & republic blushes (specifically foreplay)

8.  When do you buy the backup (i.e. do you buy it when you open the last one or do you buy it well before the last one is opened?) I tend to get backups during sales

9. Where do you store the backups?  Do you stop buying bc you run out of room or just find room somewhere? I store it with the rest of my makeup

Depends… Of a “type” of product (ie. mascara or serum), I have a lot. But of a specific brand and product? Generally maybe 1 if it is either something I use daily or it was LE. I might have a bunch of the same thing in deluxe samples, though. For example, I’m currently working through all my serums, and I have about 10 mini’s to get through. I have about a dozen face masks, but I don't think those count because they're single use anyways.

1.  What product makes you panic if you run low or have no backup?

Concealer and skincare. Probably why I have so many deluxe samples of skincare items!

1.  How many backups is too many?

For specific full-sized products, I’d say 3. As for mini’s, well, I know I have too many mascara mini’s, for example…. I think I have about 20 right now, and that’s with me trying to donate them to friends.

1.  Do you hoard more than one of the exact same product or just have many of the same type of product?

Many of the same type of product, mostly. Like I said, if they’re mini’s, then I might have a handful of the same kind.

Also, do lipsticks count? I have a ridiculous number of lipsticks. No two are the exact same, though some come very close.

1.  Whats the one product you will never let run out?

Ties into #2… concealer and skincare.

1.  What product do you have backups for that you regret?

Acne-related products. I rarely get even a pimple, so having backups is kinda pointless for me.

1.  What product do you wish you had backups for, but is no longer available?

There have been some LE items that I wish I got a second of, but I’m at peace with not having a backup of them, as I find there are similar options on the market anyways.

1.  When do you buy the backup (i.e. do you buy it when you open the last one or do you buy it well before the last one is opened?)

I buy them when they’re on sale or when I’m thinking I’m running low. Whichever comes first.

1. Where do you store the backups?  Do you stop buying bc you run out of room or just find room somewhere?

I find room! Hehe. I have a drawer dedicated to the “extra” backups, and then I have a shelf on my vanity with the “next” backups to be used in the near future.

79 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos8
  • Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 9.59.43 AM.png
  • E8677C11-ABF8-4252-88A7-3E35AB248BF2.jpg
  • E8677C11-ABF8-4252-88A7-3E35AB248BF2.jpg
  • IMG_0018.jpg
  • 812B2A80-38C6-447F-8E58-C402041A01B6.jpg
  • E5F64340-2BF6-497C-8251-07D048916112.jpg
  • FBEA4753-7DC7-4092-B696-4DD9256B5A90.jpeg
  • 16C8F349-D1AD-4A12-A1E0-13AF5C895CE3.jpeg