Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential
|

All about backups (and backups of the backups)

For the last year I have really tried to stop buying so much of anything beauty related since it amassed to more than I can use in a timely manner.  

Which leads me to questions about backups.  I consider a backup a product  an identical product or one I have more than one of that serves the same purpose, e.g. having several face washes that help acne, yet they are different in brand or having several face masks that are moisturizing.

I did an inventory and I see that i tend to hoard face washes and toners, and I have an abundancy of face masks, even though many of them serve the exact same purpose, and usage depends on how I feel or what I consider my fav at the moment.

Here are my questions for you:

1.  How many backups do you have of any one product?

2.  What product makes you panic if you run low or have no backup?

3.  How many backups is too many?

4.  Do you hoard more than one of the exact same product or just have many of the same type of product?

5.  Whats the one product you will never let run out?

6.  What product do you have backups for that you regret?

7.  What product do you wish you had backups for, but is no longer available?

8.  When do you buy the backup (i.e. do you buy it when you open the last one or do you buy it well before the last one is opened?)

9. Where do you store the backups?  Do you stop buying bc you run out of room or just find room somewhere?

What did I leave out?

Re: All about backups (and backups of the backups)

@haleyvvvv sunscreen! 🙌🏼🙌🏼 do you have a favorite? I'm dying to try the new SUPERGOOP! - Glowscreen Sunscreen SPF 40

No favorite yet, @averylayne! I don't think we can get Supergoop in Canada and the country's sun screen regulations are a lot, so there's less options. I really want to try Supergoop though, so maybe when I go to the states next. I want to try a few of the Coola and maybe the DE ones. The SHISEIDO - Ultimate Sun Protector Lotion SPF 50+ Sunscreen is what I'll likely go back to if I can't find something better.

@haleyvvvv I love supergoop products, hope you're able to get your hands on some when you visit next time! But it sounds like you have a some great options too 👍🏼

@haleyvvvv Suncreen! I knew I was forgetting some type of essential product that I would freak out not having. I listed moisturizer and cleanser but yeah, sunscreen is very important.

you're welcome @GeorginaBT ! E8677C11-ABF8-4252-88A7-3E35AB248BF2.jpgIMG_0018.jpg812B2A80-38C6-447F-8E58-C402041A01B6.jpgE5F64340-2BF6-497C-8251-07D048916112.jpg

• I usually have 1-2, but I currently have 3 backup Living Proof PHD Dry Shampoo
  • Not pictured: EltaMD UV Clear, Supergoop Play, and Glossier Boy Brow

• sunscreen!

• trick question! can never have too many! back ups need back up!

4.  Do you hoard more than one of the exact same product or just have many of the same type of product?

• exact same product if it's a holy grail.  I rarely ever repurchase items if they are not HG

• sunscreen

•  

•  

8.  When do you buy the backup (i.e. do you buy it when you open the last one or do you buy it well before the last one is opened?)

• I stock up during the sales haha...and always get enough to last me to the next sale 😂

9. Where do you store the backups?  Do you stop buying bc you run out of room or just find room somewhere?

• I have stuff stashed everywhere so I'm not horrified by the collective amount of products I've collected 😅

Hi @averylayne,

I have major product envy! The SUMMER FRIDAYS - Jet Lag Mask is so amazing! 

Best,

Rebecca

@RebeccaBT I love that mask so much! You know that friend every group has that likes to give unsolicited recommendations on life changing things and is persistently telling everyone they need it in their life...yea that's me haha

Thank you for reinvigorating this thread, @averylayne! For your stashes, do you have like a central inventory, how do you keep track of everything?

@haleyvvvv I have a storage cube in my room that has most of my stash. I have some in a box that's just sitting on a shelf in my living room, some under my bathroom sink, and some in my drawer at work 😂 I have no method of keeping track haha...but on occasion, I'll think of something I have and say "oh! I need to use that!" haha

Ok that top photo is incredibly satisfying, @averylayne!

Thanks @eshoe !

@makeupobesessed Fun idea for a thread!

I really need to count all the back-ups I have.  For identical products: I own three of the same hair oil, about 10 dry shampoos, about 10 anti-frizz spray, two full sizes and two liters of shampoo, four conditioners (but they changed the formula on me before I noticed anyway!), dozens of flat iron spray, four brown eyeliners and three soft black eyeliners, two each of two eye shadow palettes, one essence, one BHA, two silicone hair serums, two non-silicone hair serums, over a dozen hand creams, maybe six flyaway tamers. 

As for ones that are in the same category and serve a similar purpose, I have two Rx retinoids and four retinols (all with different concentrations), two cleansers, two face oils, six hair oils.

Hair products!!!  I had one discontinued many, many years ago and am still bitter.

3.  How many backups is too many? I've wondered this myself.  For me, I want to have a 1-3 year supply.  My only concern is really that I will find something else in the future and will be stuck with products - but my peace of mind is worth it!  I also get concerned about products expiring, so that my hoarding will become futile.  So far, so good though.

4.  Do you hoard more than one of the exact same product or just have many of the same type of product?  I hoard the exact same product.

5.  Whats the one product you will never let run out?  Flat iron spray, BHA, flyaway tamers - to name just a few.

6.  What product do you have backups for that you regret? Years ago I bought a dozen or so Redken Iron Silk as it was discontinued.  I wound up only using a bottle or two.  But I was so happy that I found a superior product that I didn't care.  

7.  What product do you wish you had backups for, but is no longer available?  I won't dwell on the L'Oreal hair product that was discontinued, so I will mention my favorite mauve lipstick by Sephora.  It's been so long that I'd have to look up the name!

8.  When do you buy the backup (i.e. do you buy it when you open the last one or do you buy it well before the last one is opened?)  I buy it well before the last one is opened!

9. Where do you store the backups?  Do you stop buying bc you run out of room or just find room somewhere?  I store most of my back-ups in the downstairs linen closet.

What did I leave out?  Maybe some success stories about hoarding, or products that we thought we needed backups for, but didn't?  Or what about tips fro finding discontinued products online?

What product made you bitter that you didn't have a backup for, @greeneyedgirl107, if you don't mind sharing?

@haleyvvvv L'Oreal Springing Curls Mousse, and L'Oreal Mega Mousse.  Kinda traumatic (long story).

Oh gosh! I'm so sorry to hear, @greeneyedgirl107! I hope you were able to find a replacement or some last ones on ebay/amazon etc.

@haleyvvvv For some reason I didn't receive the tag on this one.  I was able to scrounge some up, but that was many, many years ago.  That's what started my obsession with beauty product hoarding, writing reviews, etc.  

Ooooooh thank you for reviving this thread @averylayne! I'm so curious about y'alls answers to these 👀

No more than one backup per specific product! But I do have more than one backup for categories (i.e. I have multiple Vitamin C serums sitting in my stash - all from different brands!) 

EYEBROW PENCILS! Gotta have that ANASTASIA BEVERLY HILLS - Brow Definer at the ready. 

Maybe a cliche answer, but can there be too many ... ? Smiley Wink As long as I feel I can use my products within a reasonable timeframe (the next 6-12 months?), I think it's fine. I don't open my backups; I try to avoid contact with air to slow down the product aging process. 

Many of the same type! But I do hoard some of the holy grails, too. 

Foundation, concealer, and eyebrow pencils are my must-haves makeup-wise. I will never be caught without skincare products to use! 

None! Any unneeded extra product always goes to friends and fam. 

Oooh, I used to have a Tarte blush that I would use everyday. I think I got it from a set, because I don't think it was ever sold as a full-size. It isn't available now, but I've since found other Tarte blush shades that I love. Heart 

I buy backups when I open the last one in my stash! For some products, I buy two at a time (eyebrow pencils ... are you sensing a theme?)

I store them in one of my dresser drawers! When I get to the point that I can't fit it all there, I'll know it's time to reevaluate. 😂

Oooh, I'm similar @GeorginaBT, I generally have a ton of backups of the same type of product but not necessarily backups of the same product.

Can we revitalize this thread? I'm all about backups! SUMMER FRIDAYS - Jet Lag MaskE8677C11-ABF8-4252-88A7-3E35AB248BF2.jpg

Jet Lag is AMAZING! I've incorporated it into my Sunday masking routine, and I've definitely noticed a difference in my skin. 

@GeorginaBT yess!! It's so good! I use it as a PM moisturizer every night and it has made such a huge difference.  My friends started asking me what I was doing different, so now for everyone's bday, they get a jet lag from me!

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos8
  • Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 9.59.43 AM.png
  • E8677C11-ABF8-4252-88A7-3E35AB248BF2.jpg
  • E8677C11-ABF8-4252-88A7-3E35AB248BF2.jpg
  • IMG_0018.jpg
  • 812B2A80-38C6-447F-8E58-C402041A01B6.jpg
  • E5F64340-2BF6-497C-8251-07D048916112.jpg
  • FBEA4753-7DC7-4092-B696-4DD9256B5A90.jpeg
  • 16C8F349-D1AD-4A12-A1E0-13AF5C895CE3.jpeg