Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential
|

All about backups (and backups of the backups)

For the last year I have really tried to stop buying so much of anything beauty related since it amassed to more than I can use in a timely manner.  

Which leads me to questions about backups.  I consider a backup a product  an identical product or one I have more than one of that serves the same purpose, e.g. having several face washes that help acne, yet they are different in brand or having several face masks that are moisturizing.

I did an inventory and I see that i tend to hoard face washes and toners, and I have an abundancy of face masks, even though many of them serve the exact same purpose, and usage depends on how I feel or what I consider my fav at the moment.

Here are my questions for you:

1.  How many backups do you have of any one product?

2.  What product makes you panic if you run low or have no backup?

3.  How many backups is too many?

4.  Do you hoard more than one of the exact same product or just have many of the same type of product?

5.  Whats the one product you will never let run out?

6.  What product do you have backups for that you regret?

7.  What product do you wish you had backups for, but is no longer available?

8.  When do you buy the backup (i.e. do you buy it when you open the last one or do you buy it well before the last one is opened?)

9. Where do you store the backups?  Do you stop buying bc you run out of room or just find room somewhere?

What did I leave out?

Re: All about backups (and backups of the backups)

I love threads like these!! My answers for this one might be uninteresting though.

Usually, just one backup

Sunscreen!

>2

4.  Do you hoard more than one of the exact same product or just have many of the same type of product?

I have tons of lip products, but just coz I like using them. Don't know if that's count as "hoarding"? For sunscreen and dry shampoo, I usually have a backup of the same item that I use and like.

Again, sunscreen Smiley Happy

None at the mo.

Nude cleansing oil

8.  When do you buy the backup (i.e. do you buy it when you open the last one or do you buy it well before the last one is opened?)

I buy it after I open and am using the product for a while.

9. Where do you store the backups?  Do you stop buying bc you run out of room or just find room somewhere?

I don't have that many backups that I'd run out of space Smiley Happy

None.

None.

For me, one.

I have three different facial cleansers and a scrub.  I also have lip balm in two rooms, in my purse, and one work.

Lip balm!

None.

None.

When I turn the bottle upside down--around the 90% empty point.  I'll by an extra bottle or tube at the Sephora sale or if the item's on a decent sale elsewhere before I need it.  (Who am I to pass up a good sale?)

The linen closet.

Wow, @Titian06  you're anti-backup!  I like your style.

@makeupobesessed - I'm anti-clutter!  Smiley Wink

Great thread idea!

1-3

Eyeliner!!! Oh the horror!

Depends. I have backups of the same exact product (ie: May Coop Raw Sauce, UD All Nighter). In terms of many same types of products----isn't this my entire  makeup collection then? LOL 

Eyeliner. Again, the horror!!

None. 

Nars exclusives. 

When I have less than a month's worth of the product/ 

I store them on my bookshelf Smiley Happy I've yet to run into a space problem. 

Fun! I fully believe in having backups.

I usually have one backup, or duplicate, of the same product. I'm not counting travel sizes or samples of something, since I save those specifically for travel, that way I won't need to change the product or use something different. 

Argan oil, dry shampoo.

Probably 3.

I would say I have too many of the same type of product. 

Skin care! I have so much makeup I really don't need backups of most things, but skin care is non negotiable.

I used to buy a ton of Bath and Body Works body washes and lotions when they were buy three get three. It takes me awhile to go through them, and I do have different scents, so that's sort of how I justify having so many. But hate seeing them and thinking "Will I ever actually open these?"

I can't really think of any...

Usually when I open the last one, or when I'm about halfway done with it. I'll repurchase something early if I know I'll buy it eventually but it's on sale or in a kit etc.

I have them in my bathroom under my sink usually. I stop buying them after I realize I don't really need a backup of something yet.

1.  How many backups do you have of any one product? ... Why do I have three shampoos currently open and two backups?

2.  What product makes you panic if you run low or have no backup? Skincare in general - I mostly use Asian skincare, so running out means waiting for a few weeks to get more.

3.  How many backups is too many? More than one or two, I'd say.

4.  Do you hoard more than one of the exact same product or just have many of the same type of product? many of the same type! I hate buying identical products (at least regarding color cosmetics) - I always want to see what's out there!

5.  Whats the one product you will never let run out? Mascara - I have DS for days!

6.  What product do you have backups for that you regret? Perfume - I wear it every day, but I always seem to have an unmanageable amount!

7.  What product do you wish you had backups for, but is no longer available? None come to mind!

8.  When do you buy the backup (i.e. do you buy it when you open the last one or do you buy it well before the last one is opened?) I try to buy them when the last one is halfway done? Just to allow for shipping and the like, and also because I'm just not a fan of keeping things unused for long.

9. Where do you store the backups?  Do you stop buying bc you run out of room or just find room somewhere? I have a bin underneath my bed - if it doesn't fit, I'm not buying it (or at least I try not to!)

I have a ridiculous amount of micellar water right now! I have 2 simple (one is halfway used), 2 garnier (both full), and 3 different minis that I got in value sets or gwp. (caudalie, la roche posay, sephora brand). I also have multiple bottles of sunscreen! I was testing out different brands for body sunscreen and I have 2 backups of my face sunscreen. I also always have a backup deodarant, shaving cream, and body wash.

I would panic if I was low on sunscreen, deodorant, moisturizer... pretty much the basics!

It depends on how fast you go through an item and how sure you are that you aren't going to get sick of it! Over 2 would normally be my limit but obviously I went a little cray when micellar water was on sale at ulta! Smiley Happy

Both. I try to only have two of the exact same thing but I have multiples of similar items (multiple face washes, multiple lipsticks that are very near the same shade!)

lip balm.

body butter. I have way too many and now some are pretty old...

I can't think of any Smiley Happy

I usually buy it when the first product is half-full, that way I know I love it but I also won't run out.

Most of my backups live in the linen closet of my bathroom. I try to re-organize it every once and a while and I look in it weekly when making the grocery list. lol.

Hmm, interesting question @makeupobesessed

I don't have a lot of backups, but I definitely do buy them for some things.

Probably the most 'backups' I have is of sheet masks, but they all aren't the same type or even brand so it's not quite the same.  But I probably have 40-50 of them at the moment.  I like to take good care of my face Smiley Wink

Serums or eye cream.  Skincare in general is way more important to me than makeup.

I don't really think there's a set number, just depends on how many I can use in a reasonable amount of time before it expires.  I try to keep a little less than that around.

If something is an HG, I will keep one or more of it around at a time.  But I do occasionally have multiples of the same type of products from different brands.  For instance I bought the Cult Beauty cleanser box recently, so now I have 6 or 7 cleansers at once.

5.  What's the one product you will never let run out?

Mascara.  I buy backups of my favorites during mascara madness every year.

I had backups of the FAB exfoliating pads that I'd bought in the Fall 2014 Rouge sale and about halfway through finishing them up I regretted buying so many pots because I wanted to move on to something different.  

I can't think of anything specific, but if there is something, it's probably from NARS.  For a while it was Nars St Lucia, but I found a backup, so I'm ok.

Usually I try to buy my HG backups when things are on sale, so if it's something from Sephora, usually during the spring or fall Rouge sales.  If I really, really, really love something that is LE, I might buy a backup too, but it'd have to really wow me.

I keep all my backups in a linen cupboard in our spare bathroom.  We don't have guests too often so it isn't an inconvenience for anyone, and I'm in there at least once a week to pick out something from my stash.  I keep a pretty good eye on it so it doesn't get out of hand.  

@Mochapj   Thanks!  i thought this idea was a good one too, and one I have been thinking abouot as I find Im running out of room for all the backups of skin care Ive acquiired.

1. I think I have like 4 backups of the ELF Mist and Set but they were so inexpensive and I spritz it generously lol.

2. Coconut oil. I know this isn't a 'makeup' product but it does take my makeup off and if I ran out I would be really sad =(

3. Maybe like 3 backups of the same lipstick would seem a bit much to me. That's me. You do you but just saying Smiley Wink

4. I have the same 'type' of product. I have different shades but the same thing- ex. NYX matte bronzers.

5. I have been loving my Loreal Brow Stylist Definer and I don't think I could ever let that run out because it's my go-to.

6. I try not to buy backups. I thought this was a good idea a long time ago, but I guess the idea never grew on me and I like to try new things all the time. Maybe having the same matte bronzer from NYX as a backup wasn't the best idea since I don't use it all that much!

7. N/A at the moment haha

8. I buy a backup well before my previous item has run out (ex. the brow pencil I use because I know I will get through it and *need* another right away!!)

9. I find room anywhere possible. Nooks and crannies LOL. But in all seriousness of backups and buying makeup, I try to only buy things that I really like and use all the time. If not, I still do purchase newer items and sometimes it seems I don't have room but just make room Smiley Wink

If I think of anything else I will add onto this later ...

1- Things that are LE and I really love, I get one backup. Of regular stuff like face wash, shampoo, etc, I don't get backups because by the time I finish a bottle, I'm bored or sick of it and in search of something new. Plus some things get wonky or expire before I get to start the backup.

2- I don't get too panicky about running out because I'm always in search of something new. Plus I've never found anything that I would absolutely die if it went permanently OOS. (Except Fairy Drops Scandal Queen Mascara, which I had 2 backups when they discontinued it).

3- More than 2, IMHO.

4- If I'm getting a backup, it's identical.

5- Nothing, so far.

6- Murad Invisiblur. I got a DS that I loved, so I bought the FS, then I noticed that the FS tends to pill under certain types of BB cream. What a waste!

7- FD Scandal Queen Mascara. I wish they still made it, my last hoarded tube was somewhat dried up by the time I got to it, so it was not as satisfying as I'd have liked.

8-I buy the backup when the original is about 3/4 used up unless it's LE, then I buy 2 at once.

9- In my stuffed beauty closet on the bottom shelf.

Great post!

Hmmm, does LE automatically make you run to get a backup?

Only very rarely. It has to be really, really good. I have 2 of the Chantecaille Wild horse palettes because one isn't ever going to be touched, it's so pretty.

I also love Invisiblur and will grab any DS I can!

Haha, maybe we can trade. I have a nearly full FS and at least 1 DS and maybe more hiding in the beauty closet. I'm never going to use them because it's too much work to try to remember which of my BB creams and TM's that it doesn't play well with.

Hmm well I have my essential backups and then the few makeup items that are LE> I try not to do this often. If its lipstick i buy 2 so i have one in stock thats LE. I replenish either when i hit pan or are more than halfway and have none in stock. Especially bc some items may be oos in store or online if you wait too long.

Essentials 1-2 b/u - brow gel, prep and primer highlighter pen, mac concealer, UD mascara, MUFE base e/s

I posted this recently.  But  I consider some of the others in between and more of an exception:  like MAC blanc type bc it was rumored to be discontinued soon. Inglot 77 gel (about to be a year on mine, added for free snh on beautylish order).
Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 9.59.43 AM.png

For skincare, i order mine online 90% of the time so i don't like to run out. Right now i am very low on my night creme and hoping for a sale to come soon to order 1-2. Eye cream and day creme i order two at a time. Cleanser and exfoliator just one since those last longer. I don't like to have multiples of different brands and stick to just what im currently using

My vanity drawer stores the immediate b/u (pic above). and any loose makeup b/u like discontinued new eyeliners or mini glosses, LE lipsticks are in a makeup bag in my closet. I have all my skincare in one of those 3 drawer containers from target bc theres no room in my bathroom. id probably still store it this way and keep just the stuff im using out and the container in a closet if i had a bigger bathroom. 

Conversation Stats
Photos8
  • Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 9.59.43 AM.png
  • E8677C11-ABF8-4252-88A7-3E35AB248BF2.jpg
  • E8677C11-ABF8-4252-88A7-3E35AB248BF2.jpg
  • IMG_0018.jpg
  • 812B2A80-38C6-447F-8E58-C402041A01B6.jpg
  • E5F64340-2BF6-497C-8251-07D048916112.jpg
  • FBEA4753-7DC7-4092-B696-4DD9256B5A90.jpeg
  • 16C8F349-D1AD-4A12-A1E0-13AF5C895CE3.jpeg