Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2022 & 2023 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Happy New Year gifs 2023 Animated Wallpapers, New Year 2023 Images Funny  Wishes HD | Funny wishes, Happy new year 2014, New year wishes quotes

Hello, hello! Welcome to Years 8and 9 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum  )

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Curious about the past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Community Challenges (These Can Help You Use Your Stash):

Spoiler

Re: 2022 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Okay I LOVE this concept. I could use a bit of accountability when it comes to my online shopping.. 

@sardeanna   Yeeesssss!!!  Join the accountability party!!!   

Feels like I haven't kept track of my subscribe and save items very well at all these last couple of months (at least not in the BIC) but behind the scenes I've been doing really well trimming down my subscriptions to under 15 per month of things I need around the house but I think I can do even better at truly aiming for ONLY things I need. 

Since I'm on a NO BUY for August, I would be starting strong by monitoring the month of September and eventually update towards the end of the month what I ended up trimming down. My goal is to keep it at 5 or less beauty items and 12 or less items overall 🙂 Looks like I have some work to do.

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 5.26.38 AM.png

Trim Down Focus: Unsubscribe to no longer used subscriptions instead of just "skipping" for the month. 

Monthly Goal: 12 or Less Items Overall, 5 or less beauty-related items (necessities only!)

Start of Month: 69 Items 👀

I haven't checked in with this thread in a while but it's that time of the year again: A NO BUY Month during August 🙂 I did one of these in February or March and although my spending has subsided in general quite a bit, I still have dabbled from time to time in the "I'll just get a couple of things" excuse. I genuinely want to use this entire month to shop my stash, not purchase anything at all unless it is an absolute emergency. (For example, I'm running out of back-ups of my base conditioner and if I run out during August I'm allowed to repurchase a few quantities)

I'll come back to update throughout the month on what I ended up buying (if anything, fingers crossed) 🙂

Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 4.30.18 PM.png

Being VERY Honest With Myself:

Spoiler
I had one of those weird epiphany moments while looking for a specific eyeshadow palette just how many things I have that I barely touch, barely use while simultaneously purchasing or dreaming about purchasing more. The excess of it all quite literally dawned on me in a way that made me feel guilty and embarrassed. This feeling is something I still struggle with because I love beauty, makeup, cosmetics, perfumes and everything in between with all my heart but I think I needed this tipping point to tell myself that enough is enough... For years, I've had this rotation where I get rid of things I don't use anymore to friends/family and then somehow in a year I'm in the same spot with the things I've accumulated. 

I don't want to be going through this constant cycle of intaking and offloading makeup, skincare, etc. I'm just... done. I do not want to continue to accumulate this many cosmetics or beauty-related items ever again. The amount of sheer space that's taken up by all of these things in my home is simply not working out for me. I want to find a happy medium where I can enjoy these items in a more controlled and thoughtful manner where I don't feel overwhelmed by my own collection.

Full disclosure: If collection makeup/beauty and getting tons of LE products is something that works for you, I'm all for it! It worked for me up until very recently, I loved collecting items and it brought me a lot of joy for many, many years and it makes me sad that I no longer exhibit/share those same feelings. 

@QueenMarceline I understand your feelings!! 

@lmaster ❤️

@QueenMarceline you can do this!!! 

@lmaster Thank you, I'm sure it'll be difficult at times but I'm convincing myself I can go "shopping" at my house and try out some of the products I haven't yet got to. My ultimate goal is to possibly do a low/no buy until the VIB sale but really wanted to take it month-by-month to not feel super overwhelmed from the get go. 

Recently, I reorganized my primary makeup drawer after a little clean up project at my house, and I must say: I'm feeling inspired to use up my stash! I don't know if I can authentically commit to a no-buy, but I've definitely been reinvigorated with a desire to use my collection after realizing what I already have ... 😅

I got ready the other day after separating my products into the little acrylic organizers shown below, and doing my makeup was just so much more fun when I could see everything laid out like this. So much easier than having to dig for the lipstick shade I'm looking for!! 

GeorginaBT_0-1655771138665.png

@GeorginaBT Beautiful organization! 🙂 This reminds me, I'm overdue for one (it never seems to last long). 

@GeorginaBT good luck!!! Looks great

It looks great @GeorginaBT! It definitely helps me use my stash when I keep it organized.

@GeorginaBT this looks so well done, great job!! 💪😘

Thank you sweet @Skunk12puzzola! I had to show it off, I was so proud ... 😂 

Well,,, I made it 42 days 🙄 no regrets though!! My purchases were very reasonably priced,,, mostly 🤣 I'll start July again with only products I consistently use that run out

@lmaster you're doing great!! 💪😘 proud of you 🐣 momma!!

Thank you!!! @Skunk12puzzola  😚💗

You have done great @lmaster! I have been so much better this month. I have only made a couple of small purchases so far.🤞

@faeriegirl it's been hard for me 🤣 but I'm not one to give up,, so so so proud of you 🙌🙌

@lmaster @You got this!

@SportyGirly125 thank you love!!! 🤗❤️

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos21
  • 091287043a227ccbdb2ebdd983ef1b30.jpeg
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 5.15.20 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 11.38.26 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 11.38.34 AM.png
  • Haul.jpg