cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2021 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

ny-132

Hello, hello! Welcome to Year 7 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum )

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Interested in past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler
* Coming Soon *

Tags:

Re: 2021 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

It is April 1st, which means my no-buy is now officially halfway complete! I am still going strong, and have not made a beauty-related purchase for myself since December 31st, 2020. I underestimated a couple of categories, but am making do with what I have so far. I have emptied just over 200 products (including FS, DS & foils), and without bringing anything new to the mix, it is easier to see some progress. 

This is the longest I have gone without purchasing beauty products since I began using them as a teen. It feels both weird and liberating. Although I am counting down until it is over, I think it is something I need to practice on a smaller scale in the future. 

Thank you for the support here, this has been an eye-opening challenge and I am very grateful for the encouragement ☺️

@eshoe @Great job!!!! That’s awesome to hear!! 

@eshoe Congrats on your progress. 

That is incredible @eshoe !! You should be so proud of making it this far with your plan. And emptying that many products is amazing. Way to go girl!

Thank you @KehDee! Nearing the end, it feels really, really good.

Whoohoo @eshoe !

Thank you, @danielledanielle! Argh those notifications, sorry I am responding so late!

Time to checkin. Soooo after 10 months I have decided to end my no-buy! I found a good deal for a set of products I was planning to restock during the Sephora sale so I went ahead and purchased it. Overall I enjoyed using up my stash over and discovered so many great products that are now favorites. I also saved A LOT of money towards moving into a new apartment. I will definitely continue with a low-buy. My next project is throwing out old makeup so I can get the last of my beauty/skincare out of boxes and into drawers. 

Congratulations @lnum !  You've been inspiring and pretty kind to all of us here 🙂

@danielledanielle Thank you! It was definitely a struggle but if I can do it we all can! 

Congratulations, @lnum! I know how you feel. I'm not technically on a low buy, but I've been on a mission to use up my skincare. I have three or four moisturizers open at any given time based on how my skin feels and I coincidentally used up two of them last week. Since I spent so much on my skin, I don't waste any of the products.

@curlychiquita Yes that is an excellent point. When I think of how much money I must have spent on my unused beauty and skincare products, I do feel I should use them up and be much more selective about what I purchase and can actually use before it expires. 

@lnum, not just time to check in, but a time to celebrate you! 🎉 What an incredible accomplishment! 🙌🏼 You’re a superstar! 10 months! Wow!! Brava, Brava! 👏🏼 👏🏼 

It’ll feel great to declutter your old makeup! 😃 

EAE61D58-2FB4-4DE6-AEC6-197BBCC0E3EA.gif

@lnum FANTASTIC work! Kudos to saving up for an apartment, too. Tackling sentimental makeup is next on the agenda for me as well. Any suggestions are welcomed😉

@eshoe I may start with when an item was purchased and when was the last time I really used it. I’m pretty sure there are things I have not touched in 2+ years that I should get rid of. At least that’s how I hope to start. Let’s see how it goes. 😅

@lnum, that’s a great way to start!! It will feel so good when you’ve gone through your collection!

I have been working on declutttering all my beauty products this quarter and am almost done. It feels good to get rid of things I haven’t touched in such a looong time and to donate some new, unopen full size and DS products that I know I won’t be reaching for anytime soon or at all. I just have skincare, bath and body products, and lip balm left - they were supposed to be done this weekend but I wasn’t able to get to them, but am aiming to finish up before Easter. 

@itsfi That is very impressive willpower! I think I’m going to end up sentimental but you’re right I need to stop pretending I’m going to use all that makeup!

@lnum, it's understandable that there will be sentimental products. I set aside some items that were harder to let go of, and decided that if I don't reach for them in the next 6 months, they have to go. We'll see how well I stick to that plan come fall. 

@itsfi That may be the approach I take as well. Great advice!

check in it's been 3 weeks and its been difficult I've stared down my sephora and ulta wishlists and added things to my cart and deleted them many times. In regards to beauty products I've caved on two things in the skincare department that while I didn't need i felt i would benefit from I bought some coconut epsom salt to see if it helps with the aching muscles and help soothe my achilles tendinitus and I also bought some peppermint essential oil to combine with the lavender essential oil i own to dump in with the epsom salt in baths. it might sound like an odd combo but i feel i will benefit from it. in regards to other other frivolous purchases. in other purchases I signed up for HBO and ordered food through door dash. I've seemed to have fallen off the bandwagon of eating healthy. i've even bought ice cream. that being said  I am determined to rally especially since my exercise options are currently limited my dr. put a cap on how many steps i can even walk on my fitbit knocking it down to 3,000. before my Achilles tendinitis got bad i was walking at the very least 17,000 per day at least on workdays. this changes things and is incredibly frustrating not to be able to move as much. I've been doing so good on weightless up until now.  I had lost 50 pounds since July 12 of 2020. I still need to lose 35 more pounds until i reach my weight loss goal of my ideal weight i want to stay within and maintain.. so I want to add eating out down to once a month or less on my no buy low buy.  which is what i was doing before and now have been struggling with. I need to remember I am still currently not working and am on medical leave and not pulling in money and property tax is approaching. 

@WhereYouStand I am sorry you’re going through such a hard time. Drastically reducing your step count is a big lifestyle change and it will take time to adjust to that. Don’t be hard on yourself for doing what feels right for your well-being. It’s ok, really! You can always make a positive change toward your spending or your eating habits on the next day, or the next. 

552 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos18
  • ny-132
  • 2021 Goals.PNG
  • E1C3EE20-4280-4775-92F1-4D5C07D9DFA5.gif
  • IMG_20210103_174920_013[1].jpg
  • giphy
  • tenor (29).gif
  • tenor (16).gif
  • D5DE791F-B1CA-49FC-9B84-E48C95CCD242.gif
  • 57D977F1-5D5A-4198-87B9-2EEFA8C2EE4D.jpeg