cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2021 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

ny-132

Hello, hello! Welcome to Year 7 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum )

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Interested in past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler
* Coming Soon *

Tags:

Re: 2021 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@lnum , you're welcome.

Uh, I don't feel great about my low-buy most days.  I'm trying though.  I can go several days without making a purchase, which is an improvement over 2 years ago.

@danielledanielle Don’t beat yourself up over it. You’re perfectly capable, beauty! It’ll take time to build new habits. I’m six years into this thread, heck I created it, and I still need it to stay on track. Think about what motivates you to make a purchase at all? Why do you do it? What can you replace the habit with that gives you as much joy and satisfaction? 

@lnum

Oh, I didn't mean to sound like I'm beating myself up.  I wanted to be open and honest.  I could spend less, but in reality I'm not trying as hard as I could.

I had to really think.  My first answer was, well I like buying stuff and I can't do what I typically do because of the pandemic, and I'm an essential worker.  So...it's part that.  The other part is, I always loved makeup.  And when I first started working, I couldn't really afford most things.  I'm doing much better financially, in spite of everything.  So, being able to buy treats for myself and being self sufficient is a good thing in my mind.

What motivates me to buy.  If I feel like I got a good deal on a purchase, which I feel that I have been lately.   My buys aren't as impulsive as they used to be.

@danielledanielle Ok. That explains your motivation for purchases, and being financially independent and able to treat yourself sometimes is a great position to be in. Now what is your motivation for wanting to cut back? In what ways are your purchases a hindrance to your other goals?

@lnum 

I have a lot of stuff...And, I saw how much I spent last year in comparison to other years, so I do want to spend less.

@danielledanielle The way you can see your spend at Sephora is eye opening, I’m always shocked by my total too. If you spend less on beauty, what might you do with the savings?

@lnum , I tend to put it into savings with no purpose other than making sure I have savings to either a) pay for unexpected expenses b) down payment on something.

@danielledanielle I'm feeling good about it,, the anxiety has passed 🤦😂

You have rocked your no buy girl!! @lnum I'm officially on 24 days no buy 🙌

@lmaster Woohoo you can do this!

Way to go, @lmaster 👏🏼🥳

Thank you so much 🤗☺️ @eshoe @danielledanielle 

January budgeting update ~ actually since 12/23-1/31;  I spent $10 total OOP total and that’s on anything.  I literally used it to load my Starbucks acct after going through holiday gift cards! I got a pair of sweatpants from express but used a gift card (also donated a sweatshirt so no additional clothing items have come into inventory technically).  I bought the chocolate nails inc polishes from Sephora, again with gift card and 2 foot masks, 2 hydrating sheet masks and 3 bottles of stretch mark lotion from target.  The masks were all with gift cards and I didn’t count the stretch mark lotion financially as I was pregnant and a. It’s a family expense as far as I’m concerned and b. It’s not like a fun purchase it’s for my baby body☺️❤️👶🏻.  I used up 37 beauty products and brought in 11 ( I did include the lotions here).  All in all totally satisfied with this low buy start up in January.  My daughter arrived a little over 5 weeks early on 1/23/21 so I am feeling good about my choices and motivation! After a couple week NICU stay she is home and beautifully consuming my focus🙏🏼💕🥰 

@SAlyFitz  Congratulations!! Hope you and baby are healthy!!! I agree totally not for you! 

Thank you!!

@SAlyFitz Congratulations, and so happy to hear that you are both home and healthy! That must have been so difficult with her in the NICU. Great job on your low/no buy, too😊

Thanks!💕

Good going on your low buy! Gift cards really do come in handy😉 I remembered you had a baby on the way when you posted on here back in December. So happy to hear you & baby are well 💓 @SAlyFitz 

Thank you! 👶🏻💕I’m just about out of them but my insurance offers gift cards for healthy activities so hopefully I’ll get some more play money lol😅

@SAlyFitz , that's very cool incentive (the GCs).  And congrats on your little bundle, yaaaayyy

Congratulations, @SAlyFitz! So glad your baby girl is home. 🐥 🍼

552 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos18
  • ny-132
  • 2021 Goals.PNG
  • E1C3EE20-4280-4775-92F1-4D5C07D9DFA5.gif
  • IMG_20210103_174920_013[1].jpg
  • giphy
  • tenor (29).gif
  • tenor (16).gif