cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2021 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

ny-132

Hello, hello! Welcome to Year 7 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum )

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Interested in past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler
* Coming Soon *

Tags:

Re: 2021 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Good luck @lmaster! Iโ€™ve been using the ND Glam almost every day and have barely touched my other palettes so hopefully it wonโ€™t be difficult to resist any new ones.

Thank you!! @faeriegirl I'll admit some products are just irresistible though ๐Ÿคฆ 

@faeriegirl, Woah! Ambitious. I love that! Holiday deals are always so irresistible, aren't they? Best of luck! If you ever need encouragement, we're right here! โค๏ธ 

This is a great plan @faeriegirl  youve noted products that you have a ton of so you know where not to spend. Great job!

Good luck @faeriegirl !!!

Thank you @KehDee! I think I have a much better chance of being successful this way๐Ÿคž

Itโ€™s been 2 weeks since my last Sephora purchase or beauty purchase. Iโ€™ve even been good with not buying clothes and anything else. My husband was going crazy with buying energy drinks and buying candy and he went on a limit to 20 a pay to buy treats. So I agreed to go on a $20 a pay to buy beauty products. I am allowed to restock of I need something. But honestly I need nothing. Iโ€™ll see how this holds out. I made a bet with him so that should keep my spending down. Iโ€™ve been more thought process if I think I need something and Iโ€™ve already been able to talk myself out of it. Iโ€™m hoping to keep this going until December fingers crossed!! 

Excellent goal!! @ather so proud of you

@ather, what a great rule with the $20! All the luck in the world to you. If you ever need encouragement, we're here! โค๏ธ 

@FullCoverageBB  Thank you!! Been pretty good so far. My weakness will be a new product launch. Depending on the brand and product! 

@ather, oh, me too! When PMG came out with those blushes I was DYING!! Let's hope I get one for my bday! 

@FullCoverageBB  Fingers crossed ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿป 

Good luck @ather

@faeriegirl  Thanks!!! My stash is getting smaller so itโ€™s a good thing

Yes! It is so satisfying to use up product and not have an overwhelming stash @ather โค๏ธ

The picture below is of my very last sheet mask. I went on a sheet mask buying binge through 2019.  When COVID hit in March of 2020, I just didn't buy anymore and decided I was determined to use up what I had. 

I used to use sheet masks a lot but I just don't as much anymore. I only wash my curly hair every 3-4 days; when I use a sheet mask it gets in my hairline and then I can't brush it out. I can therefore only use sheet masks on nights when I'll wash my hair the next day. It was becoming a hassle to schedule using them when I was already tired after work.

I'm sure the last few I used were past their expiration dates, but I really hate wasting money on good skincare, so I used them all up anyway.  I'm glad I finished them and probably won't buy more sheet masks for awhile.

IMG_20210703_205701~2.jpg

โ€ƒ

Fantastic work, @curlychiquita! It must feel good to have made some room for other things you enjoy more. It sounds like it was more hassle than helpful, way to go for finishing up what you had, anyway ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿผ

@curlychiquita So nice to hear you were able to get through all the sheet masks! I totally get what you mean about the hairline after using one. Usually I put on a sheet mask after I shower and so the hairline looks slightly oily from the residue of the sheet mask... but if I just showered I'm supposed to feel clean... yeah a conundrum ๐Ÿ˜ฃ

@curlychiquita, thatโ€™s great that you used up all your sheet masks! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

@curlychiquita  Great job!!!! The skll is a great one to save for last!

Six Month No Buy - Itโ€™s Over!!!

Spoiler

So last year I attempted a low buy. I think I made it two weeks into the year before failing, and completely gave up a couple of months in. This year, I tried something different. Two things helped me stay committed to my goal of a strict no-buy for the first six months of this year: having a plan, and accountability.

My first task was to create a spreadsheet to inventory all of my beauty products. This was very, very time-consuming, and took days to complete. My drawers and cabinets were overflowing, and I needed some order. I had lipgloss, perfume, and hand cream tucked away into every little corner of the house! Once my sheet was complete, I took a look at the categories that needed some trimming down, to concentrate on using up those items first. It was eye-opening to see where I spent the majority of money compared to what I actually use on a daily basis. 

Without bringing any new products into the mix, I was able to finish a lot of products, cleaning out valuable storage area, while creating a quieter space that is more ~calm~ than chaos. 

I cleared out just over 400 products, and currently have only 22 sheet masks remaining. This total includes five FS lip glosses, twelve DS and three FS serums, six FS hydrating masks, and eight FS moisturizers. I ran out of a few important
 categories, including brow pen, hair conditioner, and loose powder.

The second key to helping me get through the past few months was having a partner to compete against; specifically, my husband. We each have our own hobbies that we agreed to cut out for a time. I arbitrarily threw out six months, and immediately wondered if I would regret it. Looking back, I am so, so thankful I didnโ€™t change my mind.

Having a set time frame gave me specific parameters that allowed me to sit back, breathe, and appreciate othersโ€™ shiny new things vicariously, without feeling left out or anxious. A funny thing happened along the way; my sleep has improved significantly over the past few months. That in itself has been a signal that something about setting and committing to goals to keep things in check gives me comfort.

This morning, I spent some time going over my spreadsheet to ensure my calculations were accurate, and to analyze my progress. I had already spent a few days assessing priorities to items on my โ€˜To-Doโ€™ list, as well as deciding which retailer would be optimal in terms of points/rewards/etc. I am holding off on most of my purchases, for points (Sephora, 7/15), anniversary sale (Nordstrom), and potential Independence Day sales. I did sign up for a Virtual Masterclass @Ispend2much6 shared with me, as I love Alpynโ€™s products, and the moisturizer was something I had finished and wanted to repurchase. I considered it could sell out, but at the risk of losing to my husband, stayed on task and waited until today to purchase my ticket.

Looking ahead, I have a much clearer idea of what I need, what I use, which items I can skip if necessary, and which items I can allow myself to splurge on. Thank you for the encouragement to keep going, especially @SportyGirly125, @lnum @itsfi and @ather , I really appreciate this thread and the gentle nudges to keep moving forward!

ETA: to anyone who is still working on a no buy or low buy, it is possible. You can do this!

Conversation Stats
Photos18
  • ny-132
  • 2021 Goals.PNG
  • E1C3EE20-4280-4775-92F1-4D5C07D9DFA5.gif
  • IMG_20210103_174920_013[1].jpg
  • giphy
  • tenor (29).gif
  • tenor (16).gif
  • D5DE791F-B1CA-49FC-9B84-E48C95CCD242.gif
  • 57D977F1-5D5A-4198-87B9-2EEFA8C2EE4D.jpeg
  • ED546ADE-0788-42C5-976A-60456177E468.jpeg