cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2021 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

ny-132

Hello, hello! Welcome to Year 7 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum )

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Interested in past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler
* Coming Soon *

Tags:

Re: 2021 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@eshoe I returned the BBW lilac spray quickly.  It smelled very much like a Glade air freshener.  It was such a shame b/c I love lilacs.  Plus, I've been waiting for BBW to bring back their lilac scent from the 90s.  It wasn't called Fresh Cut Lilacs back then, but I still had hope.  The one from the 90s was very spot-on.  

I realized that I made two other purchases recently that I didn't even list.  One was a bottle of Redken All Soft Heavy Cream Super Treatment from T.J. Maxx, and the other was an Up and Up Nioxin rip-off.  My baby hairs along my forehead have receded, and I think it was due to wearing a face shield.  But I digress.  While I can't brag about a low-buy for beauty, I think I have done well in other areas.  For example, I tend to over-buy food at Trader Joe's that I never like so I've been limiting myself to only the items I know I enjoy.  I also resisted buying some stationery and stickers, trying to force myself to use the many I already own.  It's not much, but it's a start!

Oh, resisting stationary and stickers, @greeneyedgirl107? That is a futile mission for me. Smart thinking about your Trader Joe’s excursions. I mostly stick to my favorites there, but branch out once in awhile. I would not recommend the pickled popcorn, ha!

That is truly unfortunate about the BBW lilac scent. I don’t remember remember the 90’s version, probably because I was all about the cucumber melon. At least now I know that I can safely pass on it. If I ever come across a true, fresh lilac scent, I will let you know.

@eshoe Yes, please keep me in the know about lilac EDTs, body sprays, etc.  And if you ever happen upon a good hyacinth scent, I'll also want to know about that asap!

The old BBW lilac scent from the 90s was a LE; it was only like 4 ounces or something.  It's a shame that that one, and my other big fave (Happy Daisy) were LE -- so I don't ever expect them to come back again.  😞

The best ones are usually LE, @greeneyedgirl107. It’s the carrot that keeps us trying time after time to find a dupe 😂

Hyacinth, not sure I would know that scent on its own. Bulbs in general tend to be sentimental favorites for me; if you ever come across a Lily of the valley, I would love to know, too!

@eshoe Lily of the Valley is one of my fave scents, too!  I wear Estee Lauder's Pleasures b/c of the prominent Lily of the Valley scent.  I've been wanting one that's a little more single note lily of the valley, but haven't stumbled across any.  I read that Crabtree & Evelyn *used* to have a good one.  I remember Muguet being great in the early 90s, but I was a child then and probably didn't detect the cheap-o drugstore notes; and I don't think they make it anymore.

Random, but I remember that Lily of the Valley was Elizabeth Taylor's favorite flower.  I don't recall any of her scents featuring it, though.  

@eshoe  Wow. I am in awe of you. You have proven it is doable and you weren’t lacking at all!! I have started a new no buy and also set it as a challenge with my husband!! I didn’t put a timeline on it but I think I will shoot for 6 months. With a little bit of a break for the sale!! And Christmas of course. I’m so happy you were able to finish this! I am so proud of you! I only hope I can do as good as you did!

WOW @ather @that is seriously so exciting to hear! I think moving the scale from having a partner to just check in with, to having a partner who I was competing with, made such a huge difference. I  very proud of you for taking that step, I know you have already been working hard on a low buy. I wish you all best, I will be following along and rooting for you🙌🏼☺️

@eshoe I so appreciate you taking on this challenge and the incredibly systematic approach you used toward reaching your goal. I can see how it has improved your quality of life and that in and of itself is amazing! Great job!

@lnum you really gave me hope that it could be done. When you shared that you were into a seven-month no-buy, I was so impressed and motivated! It was such a relief to get through those first few days…then weeks, then months. It kind of felt unreal. Happy to be on the other side of it now, and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat 💓 

@eshoe I love that you stayed so focused and didn't let anything sway you.  I think you really showed that it can be done with the right mind set and planning.  You inspired me in the last couple months to look at my own stash of products and get through those items before making additional purchases.

Thank you so much for cheering me on along the way, @SportyGirly125. I was so tired of having stuff everywhere. It was more stress than fun. Now, I can enjoy it again, but on a more selective level. It sounds like your analysis of your own inventory is finding you some good results too, yay!!

I've been doing ok. Splurged on perfume I can't even smell haha. But I'm not even half way to re-rouging and I won't be doing that this year. 

@SamtianI hope at some point your sense of smell returns. I cannot imagine how frustrating eating must be. Or mundane. 

hugs😘

An almost-there checking in because at this point in the race I am feeling tired and ready for it to be over! 

Still holding strong to my no-buy. At this point, the finish line is within sight and I am satisfied with my progress in clearing out my drawers/closets/‘medicine cabinets’ (that are all filled with skincare)/etc. There is finally some wiggle room, and everything is neatly sorted, rather than toppling over each other waiting to fall out if I open whatever it is.

My MIL gifted me on Mother’s Day something to treat myself, and I was able to make a purchase that I had been planning for the end of my no-buy. Only now, it will have a special meaning because it was only possible because of her. 

Major con of a no-buy: Underestimating the amount of Brow Wiz I would use 😂 I will have to end the next couple of months with a shade off, and extra work with powders, waxes and gels. My lazy two-step routine has come to an abrupt halt.

49 days left 🙌🏼

@eshoe Good job!  What date does it end? I thought it was June but is it really July?

So sorry, I missed this tag @SportyGirly125. End of June, so 12 days left ☺️

@eshoe @I figured since you mentioned on other posts. You are so close. 

After spending thirteen hours between my makeup corner and creating a makeup corner for a friend (while tackling the rest of our depression caves), I'm thinking about what guidelines to use for a makeup no-buy or low-buy.  That being said, I've been doing really good at purging my collection.

I got rid of my spinning lipstick organizer and back to mac'd everything that smelled even a little off.  I still have empties on my account, when normally I'd grab everything.  I've gotten rid of several palettes and I'm trying to prepare myself to get rid of more, that are expired.  I've thrown all of my Jeffree Star in the bottom of my train case, it's not expired yet so I don't want to throw it out but I also don't want to look at it and remember how much I've supported him.  

With everything that I purchased from the sale,, guess what,,,I still have not re-rouged yet for 2022!!! I'm doing way better than last year 🙌

Great work, @lmaster 👍🏼😄!!! And amazing, too!!

Thank you!! @eshoe  you've done fabulous sweet friend

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos18
  • ny-132
  • 2021 Goals.PNG
  • E1C3EE20-4280-4775-92F1-4D5C07D9DFA5.gif
  • IMG_20210103_174920_013[1].jpg
  • giphy
  • tenor (29).gif
  • tenor (16).gif