cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2021 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

ny-132

Hello, hello! Welcome to Year 7 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum )

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Interested in past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler
* Coming Soon *

Tags:

Re: 2021 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

thank you  @lnum for your kind words and the supportive boost. 

I thought I would just check-in.  So far I've held to my low-buy goal.  I am focusing on actual needs vs wants this year.  

1. T-Mobile discontinued my pre-pay grandfathered phone plan so I had to switch to a post paid (all taxes included so it's less than $3 I paid before I get 5G).  At that time, I decided to go ahead and pick up an Iphone and pay it on installments.  Not ideal as I typically pay cash for my mobile phones but I also haven't spent what it costs for an Iphone before.  

2.  After at least 1 concussion and 4 slip and falls (including 2 in the same week) I decided it was the time to go pick up the Apple watch.  My fitbit bit the dust last year and my luck with fitbit was hit-miss over the years.  I also wanted the fall detection and other features on the current series 6.  I was saving my Christmas money to buy it so once I had the phone it made sense to go ahead and pick one up.  
3. I finally bought a new mattress and bed frame.  As an adult, I've not owned a bedframe and it's been over 10 years since I purchased my own mattress.  Sleeping on a borrowed one that had long out lived it years wasn't healthy and I'm happy to say it came in two weeks ago and I'm sleeping better.  I love the bed frame and in a few months I'll have the nightstand.  This investment means I must be on a low-buy otherwise it will be hard to pay off within 12 months at 0%.  

4. With the new mattress I've updated my bedding and also bought new towels and a shower curtain.  

As I mentioned earlier, I realized last year I was trying to emotionally cope through shopping for beauty products and fude.  So on one hand I regret the ridiculous amount of money I spent last year and on the other, I did make logical purchases such as skincare and invest in brushes that are less irritating on my skin.  But looking at how much brighter my bathroom looks or how much more inviting my bedroom is I feel a bit of contentment - I am investing in myself in ways I haven't done so in 20 years.  I moved between Spain and the States that I sold or gave away nearly everything I owned.  I still am a minimalist but really one needs a good bed to get a good night's rest.  

So in terms of beauty, I did purchase the Sonia G Houndstooth collection for the traveling brush set I purchased last year (whenever we get to travel again) and the pouch for make-up items since I pack very light when I go to home office.  I also picked up 3 lipsticks and 1 lip balm from Chanticalle at 25% off.  I really liked the lip veil I tried last year so I picked up the colors that were not in stock.  I know the Spring shopping event is coming up in April (I even skipped Biossance's shopping events so far this year to work thru my stash) and I plan to pick up some lip products I'm running out of, a new DE Juju bar b/c mine is becoming tinier by the day and maybe some new body lotion.  I still have a lot of the DE products my Dad picked up for me at Christmas.   To help avoid FOMO I've stayed off the BIC.  I hope everyone is doing well with their goals so far this spring.

@MCSSavvy I really hope you’re ok. All the investments you’ve made in yourself this year are necessary for your quality of life and so worth it. I do find BIC to be enabling and tend to stay off when I’m having a hard time as well. Keep up the great work!

Hey all how crazy is it we are almost 1/4 through the year! Hope your goals are going well and if it’s been challenging you just keep going and do your best! First a February update - spending = $80 total! I used points and made an Ulta purchase on a perk for $11oop really happy with what i got though especially the polo duffle bag🙌🏼 I spent $21 oop at shop Disney (used a giftcard for the rest and house money for a game for us lol) $33 at Michaels I needed a planner and got a new cup to have my aunt use her cricut to customize it to say MAKs Mama 💕  $16 on 1 polish at HHC $8 at cvs on a set of nails and I also got 2 nail polishes at Walmart using house money so they count as items in but not toward the budget.  Totaling 48 beauty items in this month and 33 used up so far this year I’m at -11 so Wooh hoo for more out than in!! March has been a wonderful birthday celebration of spending but I’m back on the wagon! I hope to apply for a personal loan this month and that will help me pay off credit cards and reduce interest on those which will totally help w the budget 💸💰🙌🏼

@SAlyFitz That was such an informative progress post, wow!!! You keep track of your purchases so well did you just do that all in your head? More out than in WOOHOO that is AWESOME think I’m basking in your glory I feel the vibes over here. Plus I think you really did well for your birthday month and I know I wouldn’t be able to resist. Keep up the great work!

Thanks! No lol I use a google doc for monthly tracking use the tools for accountability right lol- I contributed spending in March eek hoping to evaluate and update its damages soon 🤞🏼💪🏼

8-9 months into my no-buy, using up and decluttering my stash, I have finally reached a point where I have new favorites. I think it was inevitable that through the process of using what I have which includes many new products, I discovered a select few I actually love. So, I have some things on my list I’m going to purchase, but try to hold out till the Sephora sale in April. 

@lnum I love discovering new favorites within my collection. Last week I was shopping my stash and dipped into the CT Golden Goddess quad. I must've used it only twice before. I fell in love with it!  You're doing a great job with your no buy. April will be here before we know it and your purchases will be sweeter because you took the time and thought about them. 

@mishanyc Thank you! I definitely feel I’ve had much more time to reflect on how products are actually working now that I’m not always onto the next thing. 

Well, I didn’t see this coming. This might be my toughest month yet. Random and funny elf x Chipotle palette.

@eshoe 😂

Things with the cuteness factor are definitely hard to resist but then I go to my palette and eye shadow stash and pull them all out to overwhelm myself with options so I don’t buy anything else. 

That’s a great strategy, @lnum. I definitely do not need another palette, although olives are completely omitted from what I have on hand. No idea why, but I do want to (eventually) find or create a good green palette. I was looking at Sydney Grace, which I have never used, but there seems to be a lot of love for the shadows here. But this is most definitely not a need. Just moving forward!!

@eshoe When I think of color story I always feel it’d be easier to buy singles in colors you don’t have and match them with what you do. For my olives I think MAC has always been a good place to start and I buy the pans for my z palette. Half this palette doesn’t really match the color story for olives imho. 

You are so right, @lnum. Thank you for your suggestions 🙂 It would be silly and heartbreaking to stall out after over two months of progress!

@eshoe Happy to be the one not enabling for once hahaha, these are the conversations I have in my own head sometimes to talk myself down. 😋

Being trapped at home during the bad weather, with nothing to do, was really bad for my no/low buy. I did get some good deals so I’m not upset with myself. I’m just hoping to do better for March.

@faeriegirl try try again!! You got this 😉♥️

@faeriegirl don’t be too hard on yourself! Being stuck at home combined with the stress that comes with those kinds of weather conditions is tough. 

4486C198-D466-472B-90EF-D0C1C0ECDFC7.gif

It’s a new month and a fresh start 🤗

@faeriegirl  You’ve got this!!!

Thank you @ather!❤️

Hi all I hope its ok to jump into this thread temporarily? I'm not sure if I'm strong enough yet to commit long term.  short term however I could use the support. I'm not working right due to my Achilles tendinitis I won't know until around saint Patrick's day what my progress will look like in returning to work or if I'll be out longer.  pinching pennies is going to be a hobby for me for awhile. and i will only be buying what I run out of and need to replace. to combat shopping jitters I will be searching youtube tutorials and trying out eye look varieties with the palettes i own that i haven't yet tried.  in hopes of breathing life back into them. a big hurdle I might run into is struggling not to buy something the tutorial might include that I don't have like a colorful eyeliner shade i don't own.  to combat this  i will try using the shadows close to the lower lash line in a similar shade instead of the liner i might not have.      

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos18
  • ny-132
  • 2021 Goals.PNG
  • E1C3EE20-4280-4775-92F1-4D5C07D9DFA5.gif
  • IMG_20210103_174920_013[1].jpg
  • giphy
  • tenor (29).gif
  • tenor (16).gif
  • D5DE791F-B1CA-49FC-9B84-E48C95CCD242.gif
  • 57D977F1-5D5A-4198-87B9-2EEFA8C2EE4D.jpeg