cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2021 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

ny-132

Hello, hello! Welcome to Year 7 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum )

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Interested in past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler
* Coming Soon *

Tags:

Re: 2021 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I tell you what @eshoe if I can just stay close to my yearly budget,,, I'll be happy 😆

Awesome job @eshoe

Thank you @faeriegirl, I kind of can’t believe it myself😂

🎉🎉🎉 @eshoe 

Thank you @danielledanielle 👍🏼

@eshoe Yay!!! That's so exciting!!!  You got this!

Awww thank you for sharing in my excitement, @SportyGirly125!! Month 2 of 6 in progress:)

Last year, I started off on a low buy and it went right out the door when COVID hit. I spent more than I intended to, but I have little regret with what I did pick up. Towards the end of last year, I really did a deep dive into my collection and now feel satisfied with what I have. I decluttered a few lip products (via back to mac) and tossed out any old skincare. I really want to use up the makeup and skincare that I have. 

I am also selling products just to size down. It has been hard letting go of some items. For example, I want to sell  two of my PM MTHRSHPs because I have similar colors throughout my collection, but feel like I can't. I think I will end up selling them though since I can do the same looks without them. 

In terms of releases, the only products I know that would tempt me is the next Mothership (if it's LE or in LE packaging) and the upcoming Clionadh cosmetic collaboration (I haven't seen what it looks like yet). 

This month, I purchased cotton pads and a mascara set. I ended up returning the mascara set (unopened) because I did not need any more mascaras. In general, I am not looking to buy makeup (minus the next Mothership) or skincare since I do not need it.

@hersheykisseslv  You’ve got this!!!

@ather Thank you, I really appreciate it!

You can do it! When you organized your products did you make an inventory sheet? I'd recommend one and also maybe track uses for a product or two. For instance if you have 8 moisturizers but a typical moisturizer tends to last you 3 months, you wouldn't get through those for 2 years. For me, it's a great way to check myself. Best of luck and this community is here to support you! And yes, if there are things like next Mothership that you want, don't stop yourself. You should buy things that make you happy. Also buying is almost like dieting, if you restrict yourself too much, you can then go wild when you are "allowed" to do it again. Better to find a balance.

@ShortErica Thank you, these are super helpful tips! I didn't really think about usage when making purchases of skincare (or otherwise). Your usage breakdown really put things into perspective. Also, being too restrictive with my low buy didn't help me with sticking to it. I will definitely give myself some leeway instead of going cold turkey. 

January check in. I made 2 purchases and spent a total of $24. Even though it is way less than I would normally spend, I still would like to make it through a full month of a no buy. 

@faeriegirl Great job! We know when sales typically fall so I'd recommend you don't plan for your no-buy month during deals that might tempt you. Pick a month without them and then also get your products ready - like what you are currently using plus new ones that excite you and could distract you from more buying. You will have a no-buy month soon, I know it!

@ShortErica may you explain that simpler? I still haven't memorized all of the sales and best times to buy.

@rosegoldlovely sure! I don't know all the sales but Ulta tends to have 21 Days of Beauty once in the spring and once in the fall (September) and Sephora has their Friends and Family Sale in the fall. So if you know you tend to get good deals and buy during the Ulta 21 Days sale in September, don't pick September as your no-buy month - you're setting yourself up for failure. Does that make more sense? Google should be able to let you find when sales were during past years if you wanted to mark them to determine a time when a no buy or low buy would be the best for you.

@faeriegirl, spending way less is a step in the right direction! 👍🏼 You’re on your way to a no buy month. I hope to join you - I’m aiming for a no-buy February. 

My resolve went out the window early last year and by mid-August I realized that I could have paid at least one credit card off in lieu of various things I bought during "home" shopping sales madness.  This year I feel re-focused on working on financial goals as well as must needed items such as new mattress, laptop, bedding, etc.  I know it will be work and I will also need to cut-back on Doordash which I've become heavily reliant. 

That said, I intend to be realistic.  Last year I fell deep into the Sonia G fude rabbit hole.  This month I consider it a low-buy success as I purchased the LNY brush, three Sonia G brushes that had been OOS (I bought one in duplicate - it had been OOS for over a year) and a brush holder.  

I made some necessary type purchases as I WFM and Ikea is slow to restock due to supply chain issues so I managed to finally grab a few basic storage and lighting items I've been waiting to restock and the a second Honeywell humidifier on sale from Target.  The air is severely dry in my flat so I run the one in my bedroom all evening/night and the one in my living/office/kitchen area all day.  So in terms of shopping, the only beauty related items were the fude brushes and brush holder. Thus, low-buy success.  I see next month paying bills and making some additional home related purchases that have been put off far too long.  Baby steps in that regard.  For whatever reason I seem ok with purchasing a $125 brush but not a more practical item like say a set of flatware.  Seriously, 3 forks.  I had 4, lost 1 and now need to move up flatware on the priority list. 

I wish everyone well on their low buy, no-buy journeys this year! 

For some reason I was reading brush as blush and was like you got back-ups, what?! 😂 Home purchases aren't always quite as fun @MCSSavvy. I have a combination of not wanting to spend on it if it can wait (you know, make it work with what you have) or fear that I'll buy something to fit that need and then a little later something better or I like more will be available and I'll wish I had that instead. I'd say get the flatware! Good luck to you too!

Almost made the month with a no-buy, ended up with a low-buy though. Heard about the Hocus Pocus restock and Colourpop sale. I did spend about 50 but split it up lol. The good thing about that though is it puts me at 76 palettes, one over my target goal. So I am officially done buying eye shadow palettes, until I use some up. So in ten years haha. The only thing I really want is the ABH Iced Out Highlighter that I'll get at some point in time. 

@danielledanielle, I relate to what you say about only buying during a (good) sale. I primarily purchase during multiplier events because you get the most bang for your buck. The one that was a month or two ago was amaze-balls because I spent maybe $300 and received 1,200 juicy points. 🤤 I'd rather have multiplier any day before the 20% off because the money that it subtracts, is also the less points you receive. Example: if your total is $100, normally, you'd receive 100 points, however with 20% off, you do pay $80, however you only receive 80 points. I'd rather spend the $100 like normal and get $400 worth of points. I want to be one of those people who save up to 10,000 points for some crazy cool rewards. (So far) the points multiplier sale has been happened twice last year, so every 6 months are perfect to use up the haul, rather than buying something every other month. I'm trying!!!!!

tenor (29).gif

tenor (16).gif

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos18
  • ny-132
  • 2021 Goals.PNG
  • E1C3EE20-4280-4775-92F1-4D5C07D9DFA5.gif
  • IMG_20210103_174920_013[1].jpg
  • giphy
  • tenor (29).gif
  • tenor (16).gif