cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2021 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

ny-132

Hello, hello! Welcome to Year 7 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum )

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Interested in past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler
* Coming Soon *

Tags:

Re: 2021 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

That's great advice!! @rosegoldlovely 

@lmaster OMG, thank you! 😄

OFF THE CHAIN, LUV IT 🔜🛀💜

This is month seven of my no-buy. My goal of course is use up all the stuff I have skincare wise to make more room in my house and that’s going well. I am really loving how much more space I have and how things are slowly getting more and more organized. I think I have at least 6 more months worth of serums and masks. In the absence of having to put on makeup, I’ve really paid attention to what my skin likes/needs and will be getting rid of the deluxe samples I know it won’t like to declutter a bit more. Hope you’re all doing well! 

I love your reports. Seven months is so impressive @lnum! Keep it up!

@ShortErica Thank you! Definitely trying my best. 

@lnum Way to go!!!

@Samtian Thank you!

Seven months, @lnum?!?! That is outstanding! I really admire you, and YES to clearing out and having additional space. That is what I am most looking forward to. Really impressed with your effort🙌🏼

@eshoe I really didn’t know it would last this long! It feels sort of like when you change your eating habits, in the beginning you get cravings and then eventually you get used to it. Now I just want to get to the point where my drawers are empty, because then I can enjoy buying new beauty products again and actually have space in my rotation. 

Me neither, @lnum. To be here a year later, it just feels (almost) normal now. Have you been working on a wish list? Or do you have an end date in mind? Sorry I haven’t read through everything so I’m not familiar with your plan! I like the goal, though. Space is soothing:)

@eshoe For me it has always been about spending less on beauty in order to save money for important things like traveling (that was my first goal), moving into a nicer apartment (current goal), a new car, a house eventually. When quarantine started and my life became my apartment, I needed to have less things cluttering my space, hence using up my stash and all the decluttering of my home. I’m really astonished by the amount of useless things I have discovered and thrown out, clothing I have donated, etc. 

That’s exciting to have something to look forward to like that, @lnum! I’m too emotionally attached to my home to ever want to move. But it would be nice to travel more eventually. 

I am in the process of going through clothes,  too. I am pretty frugal in that area; I like quality but I prefer to hunt down a good deal before buying anything. 

@eshoe I totally get that. I have always lived in an apartment, which has never felt like a permanent situation, so I never developed an attachment to a home space itself, just the general city and specifically borough I live/grew up in. Once I own a home or “set down roots” in some way I am sure I would understand how you feel. 

I have come to the conclusion I simply own way too many clothes and wonder if I have more than the average person. 😅

@lnum do you live in NY, you mentioned the boroughs? I feel you on the apartment thing, saving up so we can move to a new place but this current one was never meant to be here 24/7. As soon as it became clear i wasn’t going back to work for a while i needed to get a separate desk and yea eventually stuff starts to feel cluttered because there is no separation. I’ve purchased very few clothing and makeup items this past year simply because i haven’t worn or used it enough. I have a hard time between , I’ll eventually wear it and how long is too long if it sits there a year ?!

@aviscardi Yes! I was born and raised in Queens. Still here! Totally understand, I think the powder products are fine but maybe things like foundation and concealer might need to be replaced. I was given the option to return to work as often as I needed starting in October and I took it, I go in 1-2x a week now, wfh is impossible some days with family being home at the same time. 

I would be curious to know just how many clothes are too many, @lnum. The general ‘if you haven’t worn it in a year, donate it’ rule doesn’t seem to apply to this past year. But at this point, I am tired of storing all of this stuff in the expectation that ‘I will need it/them’ some day. I almost would rather not buy anything else, so that I won’t have to maintain it. At some point, things just become burdens!

@eshoe I can’t resist the temptation to add new things to my wardrobe, so the one year rule works well for me because I know now I am unlikely to wear things again if I’ve already replaced them. Exceptions to this are things like blazers and dresses. Maybe the measure for too much is just how much room you have in your closet. I’ve finally gotten it down to super full, and I’m aiming for 3/4 full. 😂

@lnum  Good job!! I know what you mean about making kore space. I have been working hard at using all my opened products and now I’m noticing the extra space on my dresser. I’m hoping to thin it out to 5-6 products! As for makeup I’m trying to not buy unless I absolutely need it. I did make a purchase so I could get my birthday gift but it’s a mask and I don’t plan on opening it until my other opened ones are gone!!

Happy birthday sweet beauty!!! @ather 🧁🥳

@lmaster  Thank you!!!

33 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos18
  • ny-132
  • 2021 Goals.PNG
  • E1C3EE20-4280-4775-92F1-4D5C07D9DFA5.gif
  • IMG_20210103_174920_013[1].jpg
  • giphy