cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2021 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

ny-132

Hello, hello! Welcome to Year 7 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum )

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Interested in past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler
* Coming Soon *

Tags:

Re: 2021 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@WinglessOne thanks so much for the info!! @eshoe 

@eshoe  I know for my skin snail mucin seems to help my skin more then ceramides. I may have some unopened DS of something containing ceramides I can check and send it your way if you like!

Awww you are too kind, @ather! I use CosRx’s Snail Mucin Essence nightly, so stringy but my skin takes to it. I will send you a PM 🙂

@eshoe 

Yikes, so sorry to hear you are going through this! CeraVe would be another quick and cheap option for ceramides. I hope you are able to get it under control quickly!

@RGbrown I did find a DS of CeraVe PM, the writing is pretty tiny, but it appears to have three different types of ceramides. Pretty sure I had this from an Ulta sample bag, hurrah👏🏼😁

Thank you @RGbrown! I’ve never used CeraVe but it occurred to me I might have a sample in a pile of things I’ve been meaning to donate. Will go check that out now since you mentioned it.

When my skin acts up ceramides have worked best for me @eshoe. The last flare up I had was back in December and I used a Kate Somerville  Delikate moisturizer DS I had and it worked really well. It is so pricey though.

Thank you @faeriegirl, that’s really good to know. Curious how long it took until your skin returned to normal. Mine seems to be almost there, it’s been over a month already:/ Also, thank you for the tip about Kate Somerville!

@eshoe  It took a week. I stopped all products except FAB pure skin cleanser and FAB oat toner and the Kate Somerville moisturizer. I think my reaction was a mix of being sick and too much retinol. I’m so happy to have the Herbivore bakuchiol back, I haven’t had any issues since.

Oh that’s good it only took a week, @faeriegirl! I have the The INKEY List Oat Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 5 oz/ 150 mL I am wondering if that would help. I haven’t tried the reformulated Herbivore yet, but am encouraged to hear it is working for you!

@eshoe I am sorry you’re experiencing this as well. My partner went through something similar a few weeks ago on his forehead, he developed a new and sudden allergy to his shampoo. He stopped using it, used only Cetaphil on his face, and that solved the issue within a week. 

@lnum  That’s interesting I’ve developed some sort of bad itchy scalp. I thought it may have been caused by the extreme cold and dry but maybe it’s like @eshoe  said and stress. 

@ather That is how it started for him, dry, itchy, scalp and then it extended to his forehead. Maybe try switching your shampoo? You never know. 

@lnum  That’s. Great idea! I have a bunch of samples I may try one. I also have a scalp exfoliating shampoo I was thinking of trying!

It kind of just makes sense, @ather - especially when everything else leaves me at a loss for explaining it! Sorry about your scalp, that sounds very frustrating:( 

@eshoe  Makes sense! I think our bodies can do different things when under stress. It’s a good reminder to do more self care!

Wow that is bizarre, @lnum. I’ve been reading that stress can suddenly cause an immune response that manifests in allergies, I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Thank you for the tip about the Cetaphil:)

@eshoe Given the year we have all had I’m sure stress is the cause for all of our maladies, new and old. 

@eshoe I think that's a question @WinglessOne or @RGbrown could answer,,, I'm curious as well, sorry you've been experiencing this!!

Thanks, @lmaster - it is so frustrating, who knows, it could even be something in my water🤷🏻‍♀️

Day 18: I feel like there aren't many sales/deals, so it's been an easier week.  Trying to make it to the end of the month with no additional purchases even though I did split payments on the brush, kind of like "break glass in case of emergency." BUT, my overall budget would still be the same, I just have less to spend the next couple of months.  I guess this is my strategy.

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos18
  • ny-132
  • 2021 Goals.PNG
  • E1C3EE20-4280-4775-92F1-4D5C07D9DFA5.gif
  • IMG_20210103_174920_013[1].jpg
  • giphy
  • tenor (29).gif
  • tenor (16).gif
  • D5DE791F-B1CA-49FC-9B84-E48C95CCD242.gif
  • 57D977F1-5D5A-4198-87B9-2EEFA8C2EE4D.jpeg