cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2021 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

ny-132

Hello, hello! Welcome to Year 7 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum )

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Interested in past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler
* Coming Soon *

Tags:

Re: 2021 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@danielledanielle  Great job!! Why brush did you get?

@ather  the Beautylish x Chikuhodo LNY brush

@danielledanielle I bought the brush too,, 🤦🤷 but..I have a budget now that I seen how much I spent last year,,, not near as much as others im sure, however,, I think I'm going to make my purchases during sales for sure! The lunar year items are awesome too collect, until I get through some of my already purchased makeup,,,I have to stay strong and not get FOMO 🙄

@lmaster  I don’t know how to check how much I spent and I don’t want to know!! I just know it was way too much lol 😂 stay strong I’m here for you!!

@ather one day, through the browser not the app, I went to my profile, there's a tab that says orders, I went all the way back to January 2020 and did screenshots of all my orders, then added it up 🤯 I'm staying strong, I have a budget now for the year and I'm going to try my hardest to stay within that budget. My loves list is growing out of control 😂

@lmaster  Ahhhh note to self don’t check that section!!! I’ve got so much stuff I think I’ll be good until 2050 lol 😂 

@ather same!! It's taking everything in me to not order the new charlotte tilbury lip balm thingies 😩 I have to keep reminding myself,,,,I have many others I can use until a sale!!

@lmaster , you and me both.  Day by day!

Day 7!  I plan on making a purchase soon, so that's helping me to not peek or be tempted as easily.  Also, the mail is still delayed, so what I ordered on 1/1 isn't here yet, while not great, it's nice having something on the way.  This weekend I may take a lead from @eshoe  and make 3-4 sub bags.

Day 9, and I cracked.  To be fair, I had a rouge reward burning in my little pocket.  I guess I felt guilty about it, because I told hubbs, and he was "you seem more upset about it than I do."  Going to be over my budget for sure this month, but y'know, I still have hope for myself.

Really have to think about how I go into the haul thread from now on, 🤣🤔

@danielledanielle @the delay in mail has been somewhat of a good thing, hasn’t it? I have a package arriving today and then one more still outstanding, both from December. 

What are you planning to buy? I have to live vicariously, now😂

p.s. the sample bags are a huge help! I am using foils that likely would have sat unused. Learning as I use them, as well-about what I like/don’t like. Plus I am logging them into a spreadsheet as I use them, so I remember which ones are definite hits or misses. It gives me something to look forward to at the end of my no buy; picking up a product or two that I’ve already tried, knowing that it works for me, rather than blindly buying a new product that sounds great but doesn’t work for my skin. Beauty with intention 😉

@eshoe 

Beautylish x Chikuhodo LNY brush.  It's so cute, and I passed on the equally adorable rat last year, so I'm really looking forward to this one.

Also made 4 sub bags, I was trying to distribute stuff equally and then just jammed random things together, so...who knows?  Giving it a try though!  And getting closer to cancelling my Ipsy.

Oooooh the brush, @danielledanielle! It is gorgeous and adorable as always. That is my hope, to pick up one at some point. Holding out for the Tiger;)

@danielledanielle Nice job! I was going to copy @eshoe idea for baggies too. For accountability purposes, I made two purchases today but none was makeup and one was a The Beauty Chef HYDRATION Inner Beauty Boost 16.9 oz/ 500 mL which is a dietary supplement (food) so I  am not counting it. 😇😅

Whatever works for you, @LuxFlora! 👍🏼 The sample bag is working better than I thought, I am even using up lip shades I would never wear, because it is a little amusing and entertains my family, who only see me wearing neutral shades. 

Thanks @eshoe ! Lol, I think its great you are breaking out of your comfort zone to try new lip colors. I will be taking a lil' break from the threads to avoid temptations but everyone here has motivated me by posting their goals.

Thank you for the heads up, @LuxFlora - that is a great strategy. I unsubscribed from quite a few emails Jan. 1st and it is so true; out of sight, out of mind👍🏼

I'm not the sort of gal who benefits from spreadsheets.  I make lists but I never go back to them. 

I will however unlock my phone, usually to look at a quick review when I'm trying to justify an impulse purchase.  IMG_20210103_174920_013[1].jpg

The essential products, the category I really don't need much more than one each

• Medium-full glowy foundation, matte full coverage foundation
  • Concealer
  • Transparent, loose setting powder
  • Fine brow pencil
  • Cream Bronzer, powder bronzer
  • Mascara
  • Cleansing balm, cleanser
  • Vitamin C serum

There are things I'm more likely to give myself a pass on, just knowing what my makeup preferences are

• Blush, within reason
  • Lip products
  • Haircare products (I'm a minimalist, so I won't get carried away)
  • Eyeshadow

giphy

@Nickelliebear1 that's an awesome way to check yourself before buying!

I'm also not a spreadsheet gal @Nickelliebear1, stick with what works for you! 

@Nickelliebear1 this is great!! I've been able to somewhat use this in my mind here lately....

8 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos18
  • ny-132
  • 2021 Goals.PNG
  • E1C3EE20-4280-4775-92F1-4D5C07D9DFA5.gif
  • IMG_20210103_174920_013[1].jpg
  • giphy
  • tenor (29).gif
  • tenor (16).gif
  • D5DE791F-B1CA-49FC-9B84-E48C95CCD242.gif
  • 57D977F1-5D5A-4198-87B9-2EEFA8C2EE4D.jpeg