cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2021 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

ny-132

Hello, hello! Welcome to Year 7 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum )

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Interested in past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler
* Coming Soon *

Tags:

Re: 2021 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@lnum  Omg me too. But every new one that drops I have to buy it lol 😆 

@ather I am definitely getting there, lol. I have been trying to use up my hoard of the fresh tube ones and I’m finally about done. I just opened the glow recipe pop ones I picked up during sale on sale and I like blueberry! 

@ElleElleG Thanks for the new thread! I went and catalogued all my stuff, well most of it. Some I forgot and other things got added. I'm excited to shop the stash and only buy what I need. Or absolutely can't resist. I still can't smell so perfumes should be good haha. 

Sure thing, @Samtian !  I definitely want to do this with my samples and work through those this year.

@ElleElleG It's pretty fun to do!

Good luck @Samtian!

@faeriegirl Thank you!

@Samtian  I love your idea for shopping your stash! I was going through my mask drawer last night and I was going to open a sheet mask but I remembered I have 4 tubes of opened masks I should use up first 🤣

Wait, do you usually do either/or, @ather? Not a wash-off and sheet mask the same night? I’m curious!

@eshoe  Depending what kind of wash off mask I use. I have an open Caudalie Pore Minimizing Instant Detox Mask 2.5 oz/ 75 mL  which is super drying on my skin so if I have a good sheet mask for moisture I would use that but the sheet mask I have right now is brightening (I have more in my stash but they are newer and I want to use all my older items first) and I also have a bottle of Origins Drink Up™ Intensive Overnight Hydrating Face Mask with Avocado & Swiss Glacier Water 2.5 oz/...  so I’ve been trying to use that one up. My goal is to get through the 5-6 opened mask bottles before even using any sheet masks from my drawer. If I don’t I find I will just continue to use sheet masks and not touch the open containers then I end up buying more sheet masks. I also have 8-10 unopened containers of masks in my back up drawer 🤣

Wow you have a good size stash of masks, @ather! I like your plan, too. Use them as needed:) I love that Origins mask, I’ve been using it quite a bit lately when I wake up in the middle of the night. It stays on my bedside table. Tried and true👍🏼

@eshoe  Ohhh I love the idea of keeping it on your bed side table!! I may steal that!! My nose and chin have been so dry lately. I usually lather up before bed but I feel most comes off on my pillowcase when I’m trying to sleep so adding more is a great idea!

@ather that is exactly why I’ve been using the Origins as my sleeping mask lately. It absorbs quickly enough that I don’t worry about pillowcase transfer. And I am 100% concerned about that, as I finally decided on a Slip Beauty Sleep To Go! Anthropologie had a flash sale in December, it was 50% off.  I REALLY want to make the pillow last, and so far, I haven’t noticed my skincare transferring. 

@eshoe  How have you been liking the silk pillow case? I’ve been thinking about getting one for a while but I just haven’t got one yet. I’m glad to hear you aren’t worried about transfer. 

@ather I was actually very concerned about the transfer, and asked a couple of people here how bad it was (cannot recall who, sorry!). Before I bought it, I ordered a less $ silk pillowcase on Amazon for my daughter, just to test the waters. Comparing them, I feel like the Slip is slightly softer. It also feels cooler to the touch, but that may be because I have a down pillow and hers is poly filled. I haven’t snagged it yet, either, which I was fully expecting to do within the first week. I would not have splurged unless I found it on sale, though!

@eshoe  That’s awesome. I love how you did lots of research! What does your daughter think of it? Does she like it? I will definitely keep my eyes out for a good sale on it. But I will try to not spend money as much as I can! 

I’ve never seen the pillowcases at TJ Maxx, @ather, although I used to check every single time I was mask hunting😂 it’s definitely not worth breaking a no or low buy, but it’s good enough that I plan to buy a backup at some point lol.

My daughter loves it, and she is very picky about textures. One of my goals in the past few months has been to focus more on my hair, to get it in the best shape possible. So getting the pillowcase was part of my long-term plan to make that happen. I’m hoping it helps though I’m not sure how it will, besides the fact that it just feels soooo very smooth and soft. Maybe it tugs less on the hair, so less falls out? No idea!

I saw a red Slip pillowcase once at Marshall's in 2019 but I didn't get it. It was reasonably priced but I can't remember the exact amount. At TJ maxx I once bought two 100% silk pillowcases (pink & grey) and a sleep mask from a brand called Papinelle, retail price is like $65 and I paid about $35 each. They come boxed in tissue just like Slip. They held their shape great after a year. Just letting you ladies know in case you get lucky and find either in store! @eshoe @ather 

Thank you, @LuxFlora - very good to know! 

eta: @ather just hand washed and ironed my pillowcase. Once I ironed it, it became evident that yes indeed, it appears that my lip mask migrated onto one side. In a few spots. That being said, I am still happy with it for the comfort (and possible beauty benefits) but if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is 😉

@eshoe  Thanks for the update!! I think my worry would be oils. I’m using TO retinol right now and i feel like it sits on top of my skin. So I wonder if it would transfer. 

I think it’s best to know beforehand what you are getting in to, @ather. Had I spent full price for it, I would be very disappointed in myself right now. 

26 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos18
  • ny-132
  • 2021 Goals.PNG
  • E1C3EE20-4280-4775-92F1-4D5C07D9DFA5.gif
  • IMG_20210103_174920_013[1].jpg
  • giphy
  • tenor (29).gif
  • tenor (16).gif
  • D5DE791F-B1CA-49FC-9B84-E48C95CCD242.gif
  • 57D977F1-5D5A-4198-87B9-2EEFA8C2EE4D.jpeg