Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2021 PRODUCT RELEASES THREAD!!!

It's that time again! Previews of new products set to launch in 2021 are starting to come out.  Please share your finds in this thread!

New products for purchase at Sephora US

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Trending-Now/FOUND-IN-THE-WILD-THREAD/td-p/5157361

New products for purchase at Sephora Canada

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Oh-Canada/What-s-New-On-The-Site-Today-Canada/m-p/2164948

Current haul thread

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Haul-Stars/Dazzling-December-Hauls-2020/m-p/5666193

Beauty News 2.0 (Everything else but releases)

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Trending-Now/BEAUTY-NEWS-2-0/td-p/5676314

Re: 2021 PRODUCT RELEASES THREAD!!!

@WinglessOne  I see a lot more PC products on Sephora website than what’s listed here on the post so I was thinking that in-store offering might be a limited choice but online almost all of it will be available soon, currently 25 products show up.

CA56DCAB-0803-48E1-A054-00AB41E77BB9.jpeg

@naturalooks15  Yeah, I was hoping the in-store selection will expand to match the online selection, especially cleansers and moisturizers. I'm often asked specifically about those, so I hope Sephora stores will begin stocking them so people can get samples or try testers (whenever it's safe to start doing that again) before committing to a full size product. It'd also be great if Sephora carried PC's travel sizes either in-store or online. 

I'll be very surprised if Sephora gets PC's entire product catalog, because PC has a lot of products. 25 is probably just 1/4 of their full catalog. But I see Sephora has most of the Clear line online, hooray! 

@WinglessOne I would like to see the travel sizes, too!

Yeah, you are probably right -about 25 products being just 1/4th. PC started with notion of simple skincare. I found them through the book and beautypedia site and tried their products in 2012 I think but they expanded to a very large range if products and then it was just too confusing for me. I liked their 2% BHA and the 9% BHA. I have heard good things about their Niacinamide, Azeliac acid. 

I definitely miss being able to try/feel the products as well the made samples from Sephora stores. Looking forward to that again when things are safe. 

@naturalooks15  Yep, PC started with a much smaller product catalog. When the brand changed ownership and Paula left (or stepped back; she seems to have never really left and still does promo videos for the brand's newer products), their catalog exploded—and some of their prices increased. Paula was famously anti-eye cream, so I laughed hard when the brand launched one. I agree that their current catalog is kinda overwhelming. I mean, I appreciate the different lines for specific skin types, but there's almost too much choice even if I narrow the scope to dry skin. 🤦‍♀️ I'm glad they're still research/studies-based, though, and they do a good job of explaining what each ingredient in their products is for. 

I've never read any of Paula's books, now that I think about it. I'm not sure why. I've used Beautypedia though, and I take everything they say with a big ol' handful of salt because they have some obvious biases—and they never date their reviews for some reason. It's a handy resource, but I tell folks to check additional resources and not rely solely on Beautypedia. 

@WinglessOne What do you recommend to cross-check with Beautypedia? I use Skincarisma for ingredients, but it would be nice to have a more comprehensive reference.

@tastelikewater  One of my favorite resources is INCIdecoder. It's a growing database that lists ingredients of various products and does a good job explaining what many ingredients do. INCIdecoder doesn't do product reviews. But once you know what various ingredients can (and can't) do, you can get a general idea of a product's ability or safety-for-you based on what's in it. Obviously you won't get a full picture of that without knowing how a product's formulated, unless you're a chemist who can infer that from an INCI list. 

Skincarisma is also a good INCI list reference, though I ignore the EWG ratings. CIR ratings are more credible for various reasons, starting with their staff members' expertise and more data-driven approach. Sometimes it's fun to see what EWG says about certain ingredients vs. what others (including dermatologists and chemists) say, though it's usually more of a frustrating exercise. 

I've been a Lab Muffin fan for quite some time. Michelle's a great resource for the sciencey side of skincare, especially if you're not used to reading and interpreting clinical studies and results. I mean, I'm no chemist or molecular biologist, so I read that stuff with a shallower understanding than a chemist would. 

If you do have a chemistry background or you're a fast learner (I'm told I'm the latter), it's worth reading through a few studies while wearing your critical thinking hat. Example: I read the study most clean beauty advocates use to demonize parabens, and even I—someone who's not a chemist or dermatologist—could see how crazily problematic that study was. Then I found out Michelle at Lab Muffin wrote a great explanation of that study's problems, and I was happy to see where my own conclusions matched hers as well as the points she caught as an expert that I missed as a layman. Seeing what I missed helps me learn. 🙂 

@WinglessOne Thank you as always for the wonderfully thorough response 😄 I wrote it all down!

@WinglessOne  Agree with everything you said. PC basically educated me and got me started looking at the ingredients, do additional research. Before that I was young and naive and sort of believed the advertisements 😄

@WinglessOne since I haven't tried anything from the brand yet I'll be interested in trying the Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 25% AHA + 2% BHA Exfoliant Peel 1 oz/ 30 mL to see how it works for me.

@CookieGirl1  I hope it works well for you! I'll look for your feedback once you've tried it. 

@WinglessOne It's possible that the 10% will be sold online. 🙂 

@RoxyKitty  I hope so! It'll be interesting to see what Sephora sells online vs. in-store. I doubt Sephora will get PC's entire product line, but we'll see. 🙂 

There's been some recent skincare influencer buzz about 10% being too high for niacinamide (clinical studies do show niacinamide's quite effective at 5% and lower); it seems most of that is aimed at The Ordinary's 10% niacinamide serum which irritates some folks' skin. But the Paula's Choice 10% niacinamide booster worked well for my fairly sensitive inflammation-prone combo skin, and for a while I used it at night while also using e.l.f. Hydrating Water Essence (contains what I assume is a good amount of niacinamide) in the morning. And I liked the PC serum's watery texture. The 20% niacinamide serum has a more viscous texture I'm not fond of, and considering the prices of both PC niacinamide serums and their ingredients lists, I'd rather spend money on the 10%—but that's just based on my particular skin issues, behavior, and tolerances. 

@sprocketta I remember you posting about it - and how we contemplated purchasing from Sephora vs PC's direct site.

@greeneyedgirl107 yes, we'll have to evaluate Sephora points and sales vs. PC direct site.

@sprocketta Sometimes I feel like a beauty actuary!  I personally really enjoy the sales PC direct always has.  BUT, if there's a really good GWP at Sephora then I might be swayed.  

I've been looking at Sephora's selection, and the only items I will need in the foreseeable future is my HG Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting BHA 9 Treatment 0.3 oz/ 9 mL and Paula's Choice CLINICAL 1% Retinol Treatment 1 oz/ 30 mL (but I haven't even finished my travel size on that one).  The other products I use are either ones I'm fully stocked on or that Sephora doesn't offer. 

@CookieGirl1 Wow!  This is big news for me, since I love the brand.  I wonder if they will offer any Sephora-exclusive skincare products.

@greeneyedgirl107 ooh, just saw the Sephora exclusive product comment. 😍

@sprocketta What product do you wish they would create?

@greeneyedgirl107 i thought of you right away when I heard this.

@sprocketta LOL!  I totally believe that!  And there are still more PC products I want to try.  Like the Power Berry Serum.  And now that my interest is piqued about clay/charcoal masks, there are three from PC that I want to try.  

I'm excited to see the brand grow.  But I hope they don't do away with any of my favorites.  I swear by a lot of their products - esp the BHA 9 which I know you've seen me post about!  😛

testing