cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Image result for 2020 Gif

Hello, hello! Welcome to Year 6 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum😞

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Interested in past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

It’s been six weeks since I checked in. Four and a half months on my beauty no-buy, it’s been so long I even lost track. I’m looking forward to the holidays, I’ll break my no-buy to restock skincare with the rouge sale in November, and after that the holiday shopping will start, but I’m going to try and keep it under control!!!!! I always get caught up in buying clothes, shoes, and tech, but who doesn’t I guess!

You have killed your no buy @lnum! I can't wait to see what you treat yourself to and which products are restock worthy for you.

@ShortErica Thank you! I’ve been peeping some holiday sets here and there but trying to stay away. I also still have a bunch of products to get through so I’m hoping I won’t do too much damage. I am not really a palette person, it’s usually the lipsticks that get me, but with the mask wearing I haven’t bought any lipstick. First year that beauty products have been less appealing due to practicality which has made it easier. 

Got a few things but not too big of a spend. Have to get through some of my cleansers (I see the light at the end of the tunnel) but I'm excited to try these new to me ones.

September 2020:

Skincare: $34.05

Haircare: $0.63

• Beauty & Planet Conditioner

YTD totals without items

Spoiler
Makeup: $26.62
Skincare: $316.23
Haircare: $14.49

I've started looking for holiday. The Briogeo Merry Multi-Masking Kit ft. Don’t Despair Repair Deep Conditioning Honey Bear Hair caught my eye but I'm still going to try to be a smart spender.

Great job!! @ShortErica I will admit I did great for two weeks!! Then I definitely got a little weak... But not near as bad as I've been in the past

Steps in the right direction, that's what is important @lmaster. Next time it will be 3 weeks!

@lmaster  I did pretty good for September but with the F&F discount coming up I will probably get a few things.

I have to give myself the sales 😆 @faeriegirl it's a given 🤦

I am really proud of myself. I made it through the holiday weekend and didn’t buy anything. 

@faeriegirl one week down and counting!!

@faeriegirl , that's awesome...especially considering all the sales that were happening 👍🏽

@faeriegirl Congratulations!

Good job!! @faeriegirl I'm counting 4 days so far 🤦😆 we got this 🙌

I've been doing pretty well but I'm getting really low on my moisturizer so I need to make a purchase. And thankfully I was able to get through the Nordstrom Anniversary sale without too much damage.  The one item I've been wanting and lusting after is the Dr. Dennis Gross SpectraLite FaceWare. I'll be keeping my eye out for a good sale on this.

That's a smart idea to wait for a sale. Holidays will be here soon and there's generally markdowns then @AMK721 

Only one purchase this month. I've been wanting to use a brush on sunscreen for reapplication and went for it when Dermstore had their anniversary sale. This makes a lot of my skincare total but if I use them over the next year and enjoy them, I think it will be worth it.

August 2020:

Skincare: $103.84

• Colorscience Sunforgettable Brush On Sunscreen 3 pack

YTD totals without items

Spoiler
Makeup: $26.62
Skincare: $282.18
Haircare: $13.86

In the next month or so I'll need a night moisturizer/cream but I don't see anything else in the immediate future. And luckily there wasn't anything tempting for me in the Ulta 21 days sale. Hope everyone has a good September. Good luck sticking to your goals!

Are you liking the brush on sunscreen @ShortErica?

@faeriegirl I'm still not confident in my application technique. But good news is if I get too intense to make sure the product is coming out, it spreads and blends nicely over to other parts of the face. I don't rely on it as a sole spf but I still want to verify that I'm applying it effectively on my face. So far I'm enjoying using it but don't feel wow about it. I'm hoping as I get better at applying I'll appreciate it more. I'm also curious how long it will last to figure out the value.

Successful three months on my no-buy! This week I made my second purchase in the last three months. I picked up my facial essence (running low) at 50% off. I was actually shopping for a friends birthday gift so I lucked out with the sale by getting her an essence in liquid and the full-size mist was a GWP. I feel like that was a triple whammy, saved 50% on my item, the gift, and got one of the gift items free! 

This month I’m anticipating running out of facial cleanser, and I may need more acne dots. The mask acne is getting real, ugh. 

@lnum great job!! And amazing deals

@lmaster Thank you! How are you?!

889 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos20
  • PhotoGrid_1578546640589.jpg
  • A8AAA174-13DB-4C13-8C6C-CD1B1B030EE6.gif
  • C7FFE4A8-52AF-4FCE-AAAB-0B397EFB149E.jpeg
  • 200.gif
  • First attempt at krumkake. Working on consistency.
  • 79B4ED52-8E59-465C-8088-D8B2368DEB0F.jpeg
  • EED8003C-755C-49DE-AA76-CF26D5857EC5.jpeg
  • 56510BDD-155A-4562-A827-873BB2AB2BBC.jpeg
  • 20201014_160637.jpg
  • D7B4F252-9F04-4681-8212-8F52F2C84A5C.jpeg
  • 42CA09A7-E315-4DDB-8E6F-B4CE17B8ECC7.jpeg
  • 0CB17153-10A0-4F9A-BEF9-1FA4647EF11D.jpeg
  • 72C15057-A018-4E34-9BAF-23DD1DF52CD5.jpeg
  • F03FC805-786F-4342-9E49-52971AA36C5A.jpeg
testing