cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Image result for 2020 Gif

Hello, hello! Welcome to Year 6 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum😞

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Interested in past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Finishing up the year!

November*/December 2020:

Skincare: $81.56

• *Spongelle - Boxed Sweet Cedarwood Body Buff
  • *Native Deodorant 3 pack ( @missjeanie super excited as I'm almost done with the current one I'm using. The french vanilla and buttercream smells amazing)
  • *Nivea Sun Protect Water Gel SPF 50 PA+++ x2
  • CosRX Moisture Power Enriched Cream
  • CosRX Triple Hyaluronic Moisture Ampoule

Haircare: $0.00 thanks coupons!

• *Pantene conditioner

2020/2019 Totals and Goals

• Makeup: $26.62 (low/replacement)  /    $26.63 (no)
  • Skincare: $486.15 (low/replacement)   /    $560.43 (low)
  • Haircare: $45.16 (low/replacement)   /    $244.65 (replacement)

My makeup temptations have been minimal especially staying at home more. My plan is to continue to use what I have and then in 2022 consider the age of the products to declutter/replace. I'm horrible about throwing things away so that will be a true test when the time comes.

Skincare was more on products in 2020 vs masks in 2019. I have 145 sheet masks currently. If I've tallied correctly, this year I used 132 (and I didn't use any in December!). It's easy to get above 100 with buying 10 packs though. I'm hoping to weed through more sheet masks but also allow myself some purchases. Again, I'd like to show more love to the wash off face masks I have. I found a good routine with the pore wash off masks and want to enjoy those geared at hydration or other focuses too. I'm thinking my spend next year will be moisturizers which I will buy and then use immediately.

I depleted some hair inventory, especially in hair care I stocked up in 2019 but have some more to work through. I'm thinking my spend next year will be between those two figures.

Into next year, I'm going to track spend but focus more on the number of products in my stash and will post with each category in the 2021 thread. See you there!

@ShortErica I'm still loving the Native.  I hope you end up liking it too.  I ordered online and it was a pretty seamless experience but I'm hoping that getting back to normal in 2021 includes getting to travel into Michigan and buy some from Target whenever I need.  

I like you're idea of looking more at what you're using up as opposed to what you're spending.  That's how I'm trying to look at my collection, use more than I bring in.  Though my totals are sky high to start with.  I went sheet mask wild in 2019 too.  2020 was more "remember to wash your face" for a good chunk of the year lol

Seriously @missjeanie - I had some weeks where I did less skincare than I did in one day in 2019. 😂 I can't wait for you to get to cross the border like you use to. Do you have a favorite native scent? It seems both cool but also frustrating about the seasonal scents.

@ShortErica Right!  Glad to know I'm not the only one who had major stints that were lacking in skincare. 

I don't remember the exact scents I've tried but I want to say a coconut vanilla and a sea salt were the two I've finished.  I'm using Sweet Peach and Nectar as well as Apple and Honeysuckle right now.  I do like the ones I'm using now best.  They're both more fruity which I enjoy.  The Sea Salt one would be my next favourite.  I found the Coconut Vanilla to be a bit ... off for me.  I like gourmand scents but this one just didn't do it for me.  I think I'm going to end up ordering the season scents more often than not, they seem to be pretty fun from what I've seen so far! This also must be some kind of hashtag... you know you're an adult when... kind of conversation. 

LOL 22 year old me would never think so much about my deodorant lol

The scents at least just smelling the package are a lot more appealing than all the Schmidt's I've used @missjeanie. And I agree. Even when I got the farmacy deodorant gratis I thought there was no way I'd spend more than a handful of dollars on deodorant. To adulting 🥂

I did pretty well the last few months but I needed some skincare (Tatcha water cream is spendy) and I got some Christmas money and accidentally re-rouged. Oops!

Hey Everyone, thank you all for your continued support of one another through this most trying year.   The 2021 thread can be found at the link below:

2021 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Also a quick update for those of you that are interested:

Spoiler
What a freaking year, am I right?  Overall my low buy for the year was pretty successful, particularly in the makeup/beauty department.  I did not renew my VIB status with Sephora, though I am tempted since I'm ~$60 away.  I was also a long long long way from renewing my Platinum status at Ulta (like $200+ away) but there were a few items I had my eye on and I didn't want to risk losing all the points I've been collecting so that happened.  One benefit to being home more is that I do not reach for my pricier foundations, etc and I don't feel that I'm missing out on items when they launch.  Definitely gearing up for another year of low buying in 2021.

Hope you to catch you all in the new thread! 😘

I need to post my totals for November and December but I also thought I'd revisit the goals I listed at the beginning of the year and see how I did.

Sorry for any weird formatting. I copy and pasted from the original post and bullets within spoilers are broken.

Makeup

I'm okay with how this went minus stocking up on setting powder that has sat around. I guess no one predicted staying at home most of the year though

• Primer – success; did not buy but don't think I used my samples (no need to buy; I don’t use it and should use the samples I have)
  • Foundation – success; Sephora gratis meant a no buy as I was able to try that foundation; also didn't use much since being stuck at home (low buy; only own one; may continue search for tinted moisturizer that works for me; try samples before buying; at most have 3 at one time
  • Bronzer – success (no need to buy; try Warmth again from BM and if it doesn’t work use the Faux Tan I own)
  • Contour – success (no need to buy; use bronzer for this if I want to do it)
  • Blush – success (no need to buy; I have a palette plus others so no need or desire to buy more)
  • Setting Powder – fail; bought some during the Ulta sale thinking I was almost done with the open one and then rarely wore makeup so now have multiple backups plus a Becca setting powder GWP mini to try (replacement buy only; bought Mineral Veil last Ulta sale and have one open and one backup)
  • Mascara – failish, I just didn't use mascara so I haven't weeded through many minis this year but I also didn't buy (no need to buy; have so many minis from generous unicorn mail I’m looking forward to trying + have two vouchers from lash stash kits)
  • Eyeshadow – success (no need to buy; I just don’t’ wear it)
  • Lip – success; I've been grateful to try some lip products from gratis but haven't been encouraged to buy (no need to buy; focus on what I have since I don’t wear lip products often; maybe, hopefully, successfully pan one)

Skincare

I'm hoping by the end of 2021 I'll have my skincare inventory to Erica levels. Some categories like makeup remover, (not included below - foaming cleansers), serums, and masks have a little more fluff than I'd like and plan to work through more of what I have next year.

• Makeup Remover – success - no buy; due to not wearing makeup or even my tinted spf for sports that is hard to get off didn't go through much and have a good supply for 2021 though hopefully I'll have a need to use it sooner rather than later(low buy; I’m still on the hunt for a wonderful oil cleanser that I would optimally not need to follow up with micellar water)
  • Gentle Cleanser – successish; finished CeraVe and purchased FAB, La Roche-Posay and The Inkey List to try and find a new favorite (replacement buy; have a supply but will likely run out of it)
  • Toner – success on no buy, didn't use Glamglow though (no buy; try to incorporate Glamglow toner into my routine in 2020)
  • Essence/Serum – picked up the snail and also just bought an HA one so success; need to use those and work through others and samples in 2021 (replacement buy; can replace hyaluronic acid serum but also try and prioritize other serums gifted; exception – will pick up the COSRX snail essence during Ulta sale)
  • Moisturizer – success; have one morning and one evening moisturizer open and only one (that I think will be evening) unopened plus a couple samples of moisturizers that are illuminating to use for day (replacement buy; at most can have two unopened)
  • Eye Creams – success; bought snail peptide eye cream only; have it for evening and Sephora for day plus a mini w/ retinol to use sometime (low buy; I feel like I want to experiment with this category)
  • Lip Masks – success!; finished a mini Laneige and have had a dent in the big one; did not purchase any either (no buy; make a bigger dent in the Laneige – aim to finish in 2021)
  • Sheet Masks – fail; couldn't resist a Yadah 10 pack at Marshalls and it ended up being a dud; down to 145 so if I use at my first half a year pace (Dec I didn't make time for masking), I'll be cautiously buying again come spring (no buy; use what I have; exception - gifts)
  • Wash Off Masks – failish; I worked through my pore wash off masks and loved establishing a weekly habit; got a mini as a GWP but then bought The Inkey List Kaolin Mask to try; know I will use them and didn't purchase any outside of that category; used some but still need to use more of what I have (no buy; make more of a priority in my masking)
  • Sleeping Masks – success on the no buy; fail on using the CVS one; guess I'm not a sleeping mask person so that's good to know (no buy; use the CVS tube I bought before the end of 2020)

Hair

Feel really good about getting through my hair products. Shampoo is the category that lasts forever for me. Only have one hair sample left (1-2 uses) which is cool too.

• Shampoo – success and likely won't need more until a ways through 2021 but making a dent (no need to buy)
  • Conditioner – success; have tried a few conditioners and am still trying to find what's best for me (low/replacement buy; can try different conditioners post my DevaCurl year to see how others and my hair get along; must finish what I own first but can buy/own multiple kinds at once)
  • Styling Products – success; plus only have one DevaCurl styler left -woo!; currently only have 3 stylers in my stash (2 in the shower and the DevaCurl under the sink to retry and finalize my thoughts (low/replacement buy; can try different ones after my DevaCurl year to see how others and my hair get along; must finish what I own first but can buy/own multiple kinds at once)
  • Masks – success; almost done with the gratis and bought the Briogeo kit for this holiday for when it is gone (replacement buy; try the Briogeo I got in gratis then determine if I want/need to get more)
  • Repair – success; no buy; almost used it all and can't tell a difference (replacement buy; bought Olaplex No. 3 and need to test; if it works will buy more)

I think for the 2021 thread I'm looking to organize it as product inventory and have numbers for each category that I hope to have (like I only want 3 moisturizers in my collection, 5 serums, 2 shampoos, etc) and then tally my starting point and process throughout the year.

End of year check in. From June-December I managed to maintain a beauty no buy with two exceptions, the November Rouge Sale where I restocked and bought the PMG holiday palette, and this week when sale on sale started I ordered the MJ blushes I have always wanted to try. Even maintaining this no buy I’m still going through full-size skincare products I’ve piled up previously and won’t be done for a few more months. I’ve reached my savings goal for the year and hope to move to a new apartment next year. Cheers to everyone for powering through this difficult year! 

@lnum Congrats!!

@Samtian Thank you!

You did awesome @lnum! Enjoy the new apartment, you worked so hard for your savings! I'm still working through some categories too but I'm looking forward to the light at the end of the tunnel to buy some new things in 2021. Are you planning goals for next year?

@ShortErica Thank you! Yes! I’ve still got some saving to do towards getting a new apartment and I’m unsure of job security after June so I’m planning out my next steps. How about you?

@lnum I'm thinking low/replacement buy for most skincare and haircare and then possibly a no buy on makeup. I want to manage how many products I have better and plan to tally an inventory. Also have a few home projects it would be nice to save for and do this year.

Congratulations on reaching your goal, @lnum!

Thank you! @curlychiquita 

That’s awesome @lnum! 👊🏼 So happy to hear you reached your savings goal! 🤗 You worked hard for it!!! 

@itsfi Thank you!

Getting geared up for a real effort in 2021. Sorted all of my foils into 11 bags, for each month next year except for one. Each bag has a variety of perfume, skincare, makeup, etc. Hoping this will provide a little bit of newness to tide me through!

0CB17153-10A0-4F9A-BEF9-1FA4647EF11D.jpeg

This is great @eshoe , you're your own sub box

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos20
  • PhotoGrid_1578546640589.jpg
  • A8AAA174-13DB-4C13-8C6C-CD1B1B030EE6.gif
  • C7FFE4A8-52AF-4FCE-AAAB-0B397EFB149E.jpeg
  • 200.gif
  • First attempt at krumkake. Working on consistency.
  • 79B4ED52-8E59-465C-8088-D8B2368DEB0F.jpeg
  • EED8003C-755C-49DE-AA76-CF26D5857EC5.jpeg
  • 56510BDD-155A-4562-A827-873BB2AB2BBC.jpeg
  • 20201014_160637.jpg
  • D7B4F252-9F04-4681-8212-8F52F2C84A5C.jpeg
  • 42CA09A7-E315-4DDB-8E6F-B4CE17B8ECC7.jpeg
  • 0CB17153-10A0-4F9A-BEF9-1FA4647EF11D.jpeg
  • 72C15057-A018-4E34-9BAF-23DD1DF52CD5.jpeg
  • F03FC805-786F-4342-9E49-52971AA36C5A.jpeg
testing