cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Image result for 2020 Gif

Hello, hello! Welcome to Year 6 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum😞

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Interested in past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

It is awful, @ather. Packages haven’t moved since early in the month. It sounds like the postal service employees are under tremendous pressure right now. At this point, I just hope the boxes make it to their destinations!

@eshoe  I have hope they will. Even if it’s after Christmas I think it’s a nice surprise to get after. My little guy wouldn’t even notice if he didn’t get some things on Christmas Day. He will definitely be more excited about the box it came in 🤣

That is the best part about when they are young, @ather! This was my daughter’s list to Santa. Her friend made her a Christmas Advent activity calendar and this was one of the tasks.

Spoiler
72C15057-A018-4E34-9BAF-23DD1DF52CD5.jpeg

@eshoe  Omg that is the sweetest thing!!!! That’s my Christmas wish too!!! 

I hear ya, @ather! I love a genuine hug and I most miss sharing them right now. My Canadian neighbors just FaceTimed tonight and said they are in a lockdown with one limited person in their bubble. We usually spend the holidays celebrating a few times with them and I will miss them this year💓. Hugs are everything 🤗

@eshoe  Aww I miss hugs too. Like you said a genuine hug! I miss seeing people. Where we live we can’t have anyone in our bubble. Only single people can. I hope the vaccines help this slow down and go away! 

@eshoe omg...this breaks my heart.

Me too, @SportyGirly125. Me too.

@SportyGirly125 @eshoe my heart breaks for the kids right now! 

Especially for the teens, @lmaster! Teen life is all about the social life, What a strange period of this this must seem.

That's such a great idea @eshoe 

Thank you @lmaster, let’s hope 🤞🏼 It helps keep me on track!

Popping in here to say a very happy holidays and a great year ahead (& covid be gone in 2021) everyone 💖

Update on low buy - I am not going to make it to rouge this year Yay !! I did make it to VIB but it was mostly the skincare re-fills.

Factors that helped keeping my beauty related expenses in check -

1. Staying home/ WFH - I was not good with make-up to begin with and staying home got me into minimal routine even for skin care so I hardly bought anything (think I didn't buy the DE trunk this year, that never happens :D)

2. Not intentional but I have been missing from here that resulted in me not having a clue on new release, all great new product reviews etc. resulting in no strong urge to buy new stuff. Though I miss you guys, hope to be back, maybe not as much as before but still regular)

3. I had to go for some Physical therapy, other pain management docs and added message therapist occasionally so self-care funds were diverted to those expenses. 

Give all of the above, I made a big dent in my stash and finished a lot of skincare. I took pictures about 2 months ago with intention of posting here but never got around to it. I'll post from my phone and then also probably take another one in next week or so for last 2 months empties. 

Top row is mostly, I still had back-ups for so opened those and using those. 
mid-row are no repurchase

bottom row is bath and body and mostly sticking with Dr Teal shower gel and Big Aveeno from Costco for lotion. I did make a custom oil (mix of Jojoba, Squalane, and few others) for body that I mix 1-2 pump with Aveeno and that seems to be helping 

Empties 

D7B4F252-9F04-4681-8212-8F52F2C84A5C.jpeg

42CA09A7-E315-4DDB-8E6F-B4CE17B8ECC7.jpeg

I’ve done so well with my low buy lately. Not wearing makeup every day has really helped. I did, however just make a purchase this week. I bought some dry shampoo (which I did run out of), a hair mask for my daughter for Christmas (which she desperately needs), and a couple of new skin care products to try because I’m not happy with my skin. I’m definitely not rerouging this year and I’m okay with that. 

Ok...failed again haha I actually Rouged, went 2 or 3 years not rouging. Buying a full sized perfume didn't help. I'm excited to photograph all my lotions, body mists/perfume sample/and some old bottles, lip balms, and skin care. I'm going to be shopping my stash and work on paying bills and saving for travel. After no travel this year since Feb, it depleted my soul. Not going through that again! For the first time I am going to run out of travel/nature photography to post. So it's time to buckle down and get serious! 

@Samtian , it's definitely been rough.  I threw in the towel after September and will just try to reset January.

The no travel is rough, I feel you @Samtian 

@KehDee It for sure has been!

I have been going through stuff I have and asked myself if I really need certain things that I have bought whatever it may be.  Last week I went through all my Target, Nordstrom and Amazon purchases and returned whatever I could that I didn’t use (not even opened) and was within the return policy. Saved some money I could use for other things. 

Good for you @SportyGirly125 you're being very smart about it and I’m sure you’ll thank yourself in the end 

Sounds like a smart buy plan, @SportyGirly125.  I think COVID has altered my mindset dramatically; where I go, what I spend - so much. This is the first time in years that it’s almost Thanksgiving and I have not yet planned out gifts for my nieces and nephews🤷🏻‍♀️

Conversation Stats
Photos20
  • PhotoGrid_1578546640589.jpg
  • A8AAA174-13DB-4C13-8C6C-CD1B1B030EE6.gif
  • C7FFE4A8-52AF-4FCE-AAAB-0B397EFB149E.jpeg
  • 200.gif
  • First attempt at krumkake. Working on consistency.
  • 79B4ED52-8E59-465C-8088-D8B2368DEB0F.jpeg
  • EED8003C-755C-49DE-AA76-CF26D5857EC5.jpeg
  • 56510BDD-155A-4562-A827-873BB2AB2BBC.jpeg
  • 20201014_160637.jpg
  • D7B4F252-9F04-4681-8212-8F52F2C84A5C.jpeg
  • 42CA09A7-E315-4DDB-8E6F-B4CE17B8ECC7.jpeg
  • 0CB17153-10A0-4F9A-BEF9-1FA4647EF11D.jpeg
  • 72C15057-A018-4E34-9BAF-23DD1DF52CD5.jpeg
  • F03FC805-786F-4342-9E49-52971AA36C5A.jpeg
testing