cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Image result for 2020 Gif

Hello, hello! Welcome to Year 6 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum😞

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Interested in past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@SportyGirly125 that's very responsible of you!! With everything that's going on,,, I do get side tracked a bit and still pull the trigger on many beauties,,, but I literally don't need any more palettes!! Here's to the no/low buy into the new year 🙌

Looking forward to joining in for 2021! Still working out the schematics, but I have a good idea of where I want to be at the end of the year. @ElleElleG hope this makes it to year 7!

Thanks for the tag @eshoe (sorry for taking 8 years I'm so behind on things 🤦🏾‍♀️), but yes there will be a 2021 thread!!

Thank you @ElleElleG, I will keep my eyes out for it!

I have also been working on my plan for 2021 @eshoe

@faeriegirl thanks to planned obsolescence, it’s not fun! Estimating that a few things will need to be replaced this year, and I need to be prepared. Plus, after taking an informal inventory, I think that reducing the space I use for skincare could be beneficial for my family. 

What kind of plan are you working on? I would love to know when you feel ready to share.

@eshoe  I plan to start this weekend by doing a complete inventory and starting a notebook with use by dates and approximately how long each product will last. I’ve finally reached a point where I am happy with my current skincare routine so I should only need to repurchase a few skincare items next year. If I plan things right I should only have to shop during the April and November sales.  If I see a new release I want to keep it on my list for a minimum of a month to make sure I still want it. The thing I need to work on the most is buying backups and then moving on to a new one.

@faeriegirl your idea of waiting a month after seeing a new release is something I would like to adopt. I think that would greatly help me in avoiding unnecessary purchases. As difficult as it will be😳 Thank you for sharing, I need to get on my plan this weekend, too.

@eshoe you can do this!! 🙌

I am stocking up now, @lmaster 😂

This is the time for trading our lightly used or unopened items @eshoe @Samtian @faeriegirl @lmaster. I need to go through my stash and decide what I may want to swap.

I will take a peek too, @Loretta55 - not sure I have anything at this point but it’s worth a look!

I have plenty to swap so I will look for a new trade thread @eshoe . Unfortunately I purchased the Lancôme Holiday Beauty Box and I do not care for the contents. The makeup items appear better in the photo than in person and I really do not want to return it to the store. I have plenty of other items to swap.

@Loretta55  I was just thinking that this would be a great time to do an updated trade thread! 

What a great idea @faeriegirl. I would definitely post . I am not quite sure what I am desiring.

Spent a bit this month at least for me but got some good deals.

October 2020:

Skincare: $88.36

• Yadah All Day Mask Pack - Royal Honey (10 masks)
  • CosRX Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence
  • Obagi Clinical Kinetin+ Hydrating Cream 
  • evian Brumisateur Facial Mist x2
  • Dr. Teal's Sleep & Soothe - Lavender Epsom Salt
  • Dr. Teal's Eucalyptus Epsom Salt
  • Dr. Teal's Coconut Oil Epsom Salt
  • Dr. Teal's Shea Butter & Almond Oil Epsom Salt

Haircare: $30.67

• Briogeo Merry Multi-Masking Kit ft. Don’t Despair Repair Deep Conditioning Honey Bear Hair Mask 

YTD totals without items

Spoiler
Makeup: $26.62
Skincare: $404.59
Haircare: $45.16

I'm hoping for no to low buys for November and December. Though I bit need to buy conditioner. Other than that I'm hoping to wait and then do some birthday treats for myself in January. 😀

Just thought I’d check in! I placed one order for the sale breaking my no-buy. I’m definitely tempted to pick up more things as they are released. I’m dreading the holiday deals everywhere but it is time to think about a few holiday gifts. 

Yes, it's easy to go wild once you start buying but you've been so dedicated to your no buy. Time to treat yourself and your family and friends @lnum. I'm sure you will spend wisely!

@ShortErica Yes I am definitely weary of negating all my progress so I’ll leave to find a balance! The one item I ordered for myself as a treat was the PMG holiday palette and one of the eyeshadows was shattered. I hope the replacement arrives in tact or I’m just gonna go have to go in store and pay full price for it next week. 😑

Oh no! 🤞 the replacement has everything intact @lnum 

So I stopped into Marshalls when I picked up my Ulta order. I've done this only a few times and the pandemic has made my visits less than last year for obvious reasons. I put myself on a mask no buy to get my stash to a more manageable level. When I've stopped into Marshalls/TJ Maxx, I browse the masks and even when I see some tempting ones, have told myself I can wait. One of my first mask purchases was Yadah and well, they won me over. There were 3 versions I got: collagen, aloe, and rose. When I stopped in I saw the style but it was royal snail! So I bought them. $7 for 10 masks > my willpower to stick to a no buy. The expiration is 2023 so I will stick to using my stash for the rest of the year but I'm excited to bring these in. I guess I'm fine with breaking it since it wasn't a financial reason to not buy but more of a testing myself/ensuring I use my masks before they expire. I just had to confess.

20201014_160637.jpg

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos20
  • PhotoGrid_1578546640589.jpg
  • A8AAA174-13DB-4C13-8C6C-CD1B1B030EE6.gif
  • C7FFE4A8-52AF-4FCE-AAAB-0B397EFB149E.jpeg
  • 200.gif
  • First attempt at krumkake. Working on consistency.
  • 79B4ED52-8E59-465C-8088-D8B2368DEB0F.jpeg
  • EED8003C-755C-49DE-AA76-CF26D5857EC5.jpeg
  • 56510BDD-155A-4562-A827-873BB2AB2BBC.jpeg
  • 20201014_160637.jpg
  • D7B4F252-9F04-4681-8212-8F52F2C84A5C.jpeg
  • 42CA09A7-E315-4DDB-8E6F-B4CE17B8ECC7.jpeg
  • 0CB17153-10A0-4F9A-BEF9-1FA4647EF11D.jpeg
  • 72C15057-A018-4E34-9BAF-23DD1DF52CD5.jpeg
  • F03FC805-786F-4342-9E49-52971AA36C5A.jpeg
testing