cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Image result for 2020 Gif

Hello, hello! Welcome to Year 6 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum😞

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Interested in past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@ShortErica Yes, the extra stuff just makes it more exciting! 😅

Right? Those holiday sets are my downfall cos the deals are so good. Knowing me, I'll probably buy one or two although I really don't need anything right now. 

@GeorgiaGirl67  totally!!  I usually just wait until theyre discounted even more after the holidays lol...and at least you get to try other things or colors you normally wouldn't!!  plus the packaging is usually nicer too...I can think of one thing I got that I really enjoy just looking at lol, and probably wouldn't have bought otherwise; a set of several full-size Stila glittery lipglosses, housed in a pretty blue display box.  it was such a great deal at half off!!

@GeorgiaGirl67 At they very least you’re getting a good deal! If there were ever a time to treat yourself the holiday sets are the way to go. 

Okay, talk to me people. I've been wanting to try an brush on spf to use specifically for my hairline because that appears to be the area where sun damage is getting to me. Dang not being a hat person! Anyway, from the reviews I've read it seems Colorscience is the option that I'm leaning toward. With the 25% off at dermstore it would be <$50 instead of normally $65 which I think is expensive. $50 is expensive too. Now they also have a 3 pack that with the discount is <$100. So do I get 1 to try and if I fall in love, suck it up and pay full price or do I go wild and get the 3 and risk not liking it? Any advice is appreciated!

Sorry that I missed this post @ShortErica. I hope that you did NOT purchase this. I am very dissatisfied with this product. It seems like after the first time that you use the brush on sunscreen that it jams up and I have been unable to correct no matter what I do. 

Oh no @Loretta55, I did! I guess at least as faeriegirl said, I can return it.

I wish that I would have seen the post @ShortErica . Maybe you will have a different experience using it. 

I guess we'll see what happens @Loretta55. And no worries. Sometimes we have to experience duds for ourselves. Thank goodness for returns. I try not to do them often but it is nice to have the option when we need to vs other countries.

@ShortErica  I would probably go with the 3 pack. I think I saw that they have extended their return window so it would give you more time to try it.

Smacks forehead 🤦, I didn't even consider being able to return if I didn't like it @faeriegirl 

Is it cheating a no buy if you spend nothing out of pocket? I have about $35 coming from ebates and enough Sephora points for $10 off as well. The new PMG divinyls are calling my name? I've saved a lot more this month than expected. I wouldn't feel guilty about buying 1 with no spending but concerned i might not be able to resist a 2nd but it depends on swatches.

@sprocketta  I don’t feel like it would be cheating if you are not spending money. 

Thanks @faeriegirl That's what I think

@sprocketta My opinion about "is it cheating" depends on the goal or reason for your no buy. Maybe you want to control how much your own. Maybe you are focusing on not letting products you have expire and go to waste by bringing and using new things instead. Another reason could be for saving money. Based on your post I think yours is for saving money and you seem to have met that goal this month. I'd say using a gift card doesn't counteract that goal and it seems like you are picking up something you've thought about and will enjoy. You have the ShortErica blessing, though I'm curious what others think. Just my two cents. 😊

@ShortErica It's nice to have the ShortErica blessing. I am waiting on more swatches of the products before I may by if I choose to.

So smart @sprocketta! I think being patient makes you appreciate your purchases. I love seeing how thoughtful we've all become with our different goals.

Successful June and July on my no-buy and I’m feeling great. I certainly had a few moments where I lingered over a Sephora deal or promo code email, but then came to my senses. August is my third no-buy month. I will run out of my shampoo, conditioner, and face oil so I will buy those items. 

I kind of feel better when I know that even @lnum lingers! 😅  Congrats on month three!

@danielledanielle Thank you! I totally linger, and then remember I haven’t worn makeup in months and I’m enjoying all the space I now have in my drawers from using up skincare products. 

Good job!! @lnum I'm amazed at your discipline!!! You are goals girl

Conversation Stats
Photos20
  • PhotoGrid_1578546640589.jpg
  • A8AAA174-13DB-4C13-8C6C-CD1B1B030EE6.gif
  • C7FFE4A8-52AF-4FCE-AAAB-0B397EFB149E.jpeg
  • 200.gif
  • First attempt at krumkake. Working on consistency.
  • 79B4ED52-8E59-465C-8088-D8B2368DEB0F.jpeg
  • EED8003C-755C-49DE-AA76-CF26D5857EC5.jpeg
  • 56510BDD-155A-4562-A827-873BB2AB2BBC.jpeg
  • 20201014_160637.jpg
  • D7B4F252-9F04-4681-8212-8F52F2C84A5C.jpeg
  • 42CA09A7-E315-4DDB-8E6F-B4CE17B8ECC7.jpeg
  • 0CB17153-10A0-4F9A-BEF9-1FA4647EF11D.jpeg
  • 72C15057-A018-4E34-9BAF-23DD1DF52CD5.jpeg
  • F03FC805-786F-4342-9E49-52971AA36C5A.jpeg
testing