cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Image result for 2020 Gif

Hello, hello! Welcome to Year 6 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum😞

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Interested in past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I just want to walk around a store and browse in person @greeneyedgirl107. Prior to last August, I can not remember the last time I stepped into a Sephora. I made a $75.00 purchase and I was offered a free Perk Hydra Facial. I just removed my Aquis turban and I did not want to disturb my wave pattern so I booked an appointment a couple of weeks later. That is or was one of the best deals offered. Hydra Facials go for $150.00 - $200.00 depending where the service is performed.

RE: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I broke my low-buy. It was my birthday on Tuesday and last night I found out I’m getting a substantial income tax refund so I decided to treat myself. I ordered some Colourpop even though they aren’t shipping right now. I have been eyeing a few things and my daughter asked me for her very own blush. What I liked though, is that I took my time, actually looked at the products I was wanting to purchase and decided to remove some items that I probably wouldn’t use as much as I originally thought. I was intentional about my spending. I spent half of what was originally in my cart and it only worked out to be $100 Canadian. So I didn’t go crazy. I am all stocked up on things like foundation, bb cream, skincare, mascara so I shouldn’t need to buy anything for the rest of the month. I’m not wearing much makeup now since we are isolating so I can stretch my makeup further.

Okay so I somehow let the first week of April get away from me, not that time matters anymore anyway....🙃

March was utterly disastrous for me. I had been planning a couple purchases as this was my birthday month so I had some nice coupons to use but then all hell broke loose, I'll try and give a short summary

March Roundup:

*One clothing item purchase- Fail

*Only restock beauty purchases- Pass

*Stick to budget- Big fail

Other than making my student loan payment, I am actually up $500 in debt- effectively setting me back two months (zero progress this month + April's potential payback amount). Pretty frustrating, but still doesn't undo how far I've come

April Goals:

-Stick to essentials plus 1 "treat" purchase to be kept to $40 or less (original value) during the Sephora rouge sale

- Tie any non-essential purchases to meeting other goals

- Yoga clothing /leggings tied to completing 30 sessions of online/video yoga

-Beauty purchases (besides skincare restocks)- Must be at least 1/2 covered by gift  cards or credit rewards, etc.

- Craft purchases tied to completing projects

- Clothing purchases tied to listing and selling items so money in = money out

- Stick to budget, hopefully make extra headway on my debt since I no longer need to budget for haircuts, fitness, dining out, or vacations....😴

The long version:

Spoiler

The good:

I am thankful to still have my job, and my workplace has been generous enough to offer an extra $2/hr for people who still have to come in to work at the plant. I am glad that this will offset some of the overspend from March. I am also glad that embarking on this no buy year journey/ big debt payoff year has left me in better financial shape than I otherwise would have been. My beauty/skincare clear out project has left me needing to buy almost no skincare for the last 5 months and I feel confident going into the sale that I am buying only staples that I know work for me and that I will use and love.

The bad:

I blew out my running shoes, everyday shoes, two bras, and two pairs of jeans this month 🙄 I didn't replace everything but I have to replace a lot of it as these were everyday staples for me. Replacing these items ate up basically the entirety of the money I set aside each month to pay down debts. In addition to that, all the reasonably priced grocery stores (and all the reasonably priced groceries) were totally out this month, leaving me to get our groceries at much more expensive specialty stores so with just these two I went over budget/accumulated debt this month. It felt real bad, but for a lot of this there wasn't really a way around so I'm trying to let it go as a minor setback.  Finally, I had gotten a second job that was starting this month so I could have some budget wiggle room and make some extra progress on my debt, but it was with a MLB Field so obviously that ain't happening

The ugly:
I bought a pair of shorts, a swimsuit, some knitting supplies, and a couple makeup items. I'm not counting the makeup items against my goal since all my beauty spending this month came in to under $5 after gift cards and rewards. The other stuff however, wasn't great- especially since much of it came after it became clear I couldn't make my budget this month. I was really looking forward to these items, but it seems probably more responsible to return the clothes at the very least. Ultimately I backpedaled with my stress spending and I need to get the reins back in April

Also, if you do take the time to read all that do feel free to comment. Outside perspective would be very good for me right now as I am currently going insane 😃

RE: Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

In case I missed it, happy birthday! It sounds like you didn’t have a perfect month but that is okay! You’re aware of what happened and that’s the first step. I hope that April is better for you so that you can feel more confident @Brutalitops

Re: RE: Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Thanks @KehDe,  and it's almost impossible for this month to be worse at this point lol

Re: RE: Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@Brutalitops ..I endorse this message 😆 and also happy birthday 🎂

@danielledanielleI'm not sure whether to feel good or bad about the fact that I've transitioned from shopping my feelings to eating my feelings 😂

😅 Oh noooo..

Everything in moderation 🤷🏽‍♀️

Don't stress, enjoy

Way to go w making progress! It’s not always a straight line, we’re human! Hang on to the positivity you gained in your successes and bring it into April! & happy belated 🧁💕

thanks @SAlyFitz !

There have been so many lip oils/glosses/balms released recently that I've been tempted to pick up, thinking that I don't have that many. Today I deliberately went into my drawers and changed over my display to my spring/summer lippies, and it turns out that I already have fifteen! "Out of sight, out of mind" is an appropriate expression when it comes to my makeup collection; even though my display is clear, if it's not in front of my face I tend to forget about it. 

This weekend I plan to test them all, throw some out, then reassess. Truth be told, I'll probably buy myself something for my birthday on Monday. I am, after all, missing a coral/orange and a brown from my collection 🤣 

RE: Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Great way to shop your stash! This way you may only need to buy one or two! @tastelikewater

@tastelikewaterstory of my life! I see a new release and think "OOOO so pretty, I don't have a shade like that yet" and then I go through my drawers and lo and behold.... I have 4 each of the same 3 shades 🤦‍♀️🤣 Oops

Always good to go through the ol' drawers before an order. Happy birthday!

I had to cancel two trips so I’m swimming in extra cash and I really wanna buy all the things. Yikes. 

Would purchasing affect your financial well-being? Are you rebooking your trips? Have you shopped your stash? Do you actually need anything? Have you been eyeying something for a while and haven’t purchased it? How would you feel to save the money for something else versus spending it now? These are some of the questions I ask myself before making a purchase. Maybe it can help you decide. @alexasteph

The last couple months have definitely been challenging in that respect @alexasteph but keeping that money in a separate account you don't spend now means you could take a dream vacay when all this is finally over! I've actually been less motivated to buy a lot of stuff since summer (and my events) are basically cancelled this year 😴

Good luck, and stay strong! We'll all get through this somehow

March 2020

Makeup: $26.62

• Bare Minerals Mineral Veil x2

Skincare: $18.09

• Kopari Deodorant
  • Schmidt's Deodorant x2

Haircare: $4.70

• SoCozy Conditioner

YTD Totals and Purchases

Spoiler

Haircare: $10.03

Spoiler

I haven't worn makeup and my skincare has been slacking a lot. April is most likely a no buy but hopefully I'll start at least doing skincare consistently again. Hope everyone is sticking to their goals and staying safe and sane!

When I first had to WFH and practice social distancing, I just did my brows and occasionally did concealer and mascara. Now that I'm really trying to just go to get necessities once a week, this has been an unintended "no-buy" for the past 3 weeks since I haven't been using my makeup...not that it's a bad thing to be saving money. Anyone else??? 

Although... when the VIB sale happens sometime in April, I may need to do a small makeup restock 🙂 ...definitely skincare because I've still been consistent with it!

Good on you with your skincare @mmmiu! Unfortunately I've been slacking on that. Hopefully the unintended no buy lets you spoil yourself extra during the April sale.

RE: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Who needs support during this sale??? 🙋🏻‍♀️🙋🏻‍♀️🙋🏻‍♀️ there are so many great deals on things that I want. I’m trying to resist and buy nothing but it’s all so pretty. Who else is feeling the urge to shop??

Re: RE: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Yeah it’s been difficult @KehDee esp now that EVERYTHING is on sale online. Honestly other than the BIC I’ve just been trying to avoid the internet all together 🙈 Too much temptation!

Conversation Stats
Photos20
  • PhotoGrid_1578546640589.jpg
  • A8AAA174-13DB-4C13-8C6C-CD1B1B030EE6.gif
  • C7FFE4A8-52AF-4FCE-AAAB-0B397EFB149E.jpeg
  • 200.gif
  • First attempt at krumkake. Working on consistency.
  • 79B4ED52-8E59-465C-8088-D8B2368DEB0F.jpeg
  • EED8003C-755C-49DE-AA76-CF26D5857EC5.jpeg
  • 56510BDD-155A-4562-A827-873BB2AB2BBC.jpeg
  • 20201014_160637.jpg
  • D7B4F252-9F04-4681-8212-8F52F2C84A5C.jpeg
  • 42CA09A7-E315-4DDB-8E6F-B4CE17B8ECC7.jpeg
  • 0CB17153-10A0-4F9A-BEF9-1FA4647EF11D.jpeg
  • 72C15057-A018-4E34-9BAF-23DD1DF52CD5.jpeg
  • F03FC805-786F-4342-9E49-52971AA36C5A.jpeg
testing