cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Image result for 2020 Gif

Hello, hello! Welcome to Year 6 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum๐Ÿ˜ž

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Interested in past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

RE: Re: RE: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Good policy @Brutalitops! I had to do a bit of online shopping for my daughter for Easter but I stayed within budget. And I managed to resist the Sephora sale. My birthday is in a week and I usually get some money so I might treat myself to something then

Re: RE: Re: RE: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

that's the best part about one-day sales @KehDee , you only have to resist for a little bit at a time ๐Ÿ˜Š  Glad you got some Easter goodies for your little and way to stick to budget!

Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

So stress got to me and I broke my budget.  I don't feel bad, because I definitely took time to think about my purchase, versus FOMO or complete impulse.

I am considered an essential worker during this crisis and while I'm not an EMT, nurse or physician, it's still stressful.

Many of the things I do or go to are closed, so talking with my fam, catching up on some shows and occasional purchases are keeping me going.  Also some appreciation from folks as well as passing that appreciation on, that helps, but otherwise it's hard.

RE: Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Thank you for putting yourself out there on the front line! I canโ€™t imagine how hard that must be. But itโ€™s awesome that you purchased with intention! @danielledanielle

@danielledanielle yeah itโ€™s been tough this month, especially since it feels like thereโ€™s nothing to do *but* shop for a little boost of happiness. I definitely fell down on my goals this month, but it sounds like youโ€™re at least making more intentional choices! Hopefully as we all adjust to this new normal itโ€™ll get easier.

Hang in there!

Thanks @Brutalitops 

RE: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I almost made it through March without a purchase but to be fair, I bought skincare, not random makeup that I could probably live without. And I normally would have spent a lot more froM another source but Iโ€™m trying a few new products (one at a time!) and I think it will save me money in the end. Colourpop however, is still tempting me to no end!

Re: RE: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@KehDee  Skincare was always a good choice for me (as long as it was in my budget ๐Ÿ™‚) since I always use all the product. It sounds like youโ€™re doing the smart thing by taking it slow and hopefully youโ€™ll find some new wallet-friendly winners!

Re: RE: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@KehDee , trying a few new products one by one seems like a good idea.  You get past the novelty of the product and see how you really like it (or not).

And skincare's usually a good investment.  It's something I know I always pan/use up.

The last year or two I was on mostly a no-buy, though the last half of 2019 I bought a fair amount of products due to buying things for my wedding last fall. I was back to a low buy at the end of 2019 and I'm aiming for a pretty much no-buy 2020. Exception is for basics/replacements. And I've been good with this since New Years. Much like I have done in the past, I'm gonna start posting what I am buying to keep myself accountable this year.

January 2020 - None

February 2020 - None

March 2020 - Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder

So far so good! I realized while packing up to move that I had very little of my setting powder left. Since that's a "use every time I do makeup" product I ordered a new one. And I held out on ordering until I could get a good deal and I actually got a full sized Kylie highlighter and Physicians Formula bronzer. I didn't pay for them so I say they don't "count". Hopefully I keep the rest of the year pretty sparse! 

RE: Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Great job!! @Kay522

Way to go @Kay522 !

Also, kinda weird side note- I have a new, unopened LM Setting powder I'm not going to use. Currently I plan to donate it but if you're interested/comfortable DMing me I'd be happy to send it to you

Good job @Kay522 - keep it up!

RE: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I had a great February. I donโ€™t think I made a single makeup purchase! I have backup foundation, mascara, and undereye CC cream so that should hold me for a while. My main expense in March is going to be skincare, Iโ€™m trying to revamp my system and save a little money since I donโ€™t like how my skin is looking and my current system is super expensive.

@KehDeewhole foods is having their yearly sale on their clean beauty items now! There's a lot of good finds in there (and on amazon) if you have one local to you.

Great job on February, keep the steam rolling!

RE: Re: RE: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I donโ€™t have a whole foods anywhere near me but thanks for the suggestion. Iโ€™m looking at a few options. Trying to save as much as I can! @Brutalitops

Great job @KehDee! There's plenty of inexpensive skincare that has great ingredients. You'll find what works for you.

Thanks @ShortErica Iโ€™m looking at a few different options and there are some really reasonable ones. Iโ€™m just hoping I pick things that work with my skin

So once again, some successes and some failures this month

February Roundup:

*Make ONE Sephora purchase of no more than $75 - Fail. I ended up spending $90. I did not buy the divine rose palette as explained in the fine print

*No clothing purchases- WIN!

*Spend no more than $200 of my tax return for approved "treats" - Fail. Sorta complicated, more in the fine print

*Stick to my budget- WIN!

Overview: Debt is down $3,100 thanks entirely to an unexpected bonus at work and my tax return. Spending on clothing and beauty is down $719 from last year, overall spending is down $1300 from last year. Lots to celebrate!

The fine print/ novelization:

Spoiler

This month was great and my debt overall is currently lower than it's been since before I graduated College. I have some things to rethink and retool with my budget and while I feel bad that I could have done much better I'm still down on my overall spending and don't feel too bad about my budgetary indiscretions

*Beauty purchase fail- I don't feel bad about the $15, honestly that's not bad at all. What I feel I need to rethink is that I got overexcited and bought the new pillowtalk pallet and a chapstick early in the month which meant when I ran out of acne patches later I had to go over budget. The quad also wasn't in alignment with my yearly goals (I had a one palette this year goal- obvi not going to make it). I can't make it the rest of the year without some kind of reward system but I need to think on what that should be. This is a lot of why I passed again on the Divine Rose. I also feel like I really need to see it in person and I'm super turned off by her limited-time one-day-only bonanza type circus and the dumb coy "will they or won't they" insta messages. Either it's for sale or it isn't, I don't want to play games to buy crazy expensive makeup I have to make serious budget choices for. It feels disrespectful honestly ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ Like I love her stuff but c'mon Pat

*Spend no more than $200 Fail-  I was doing great until that bonus hit, even the beauty overspend was under my $200 limit. Buuuut then I spent a lot on a record player and hobby supplies for embroidery and watercolor. I've been using all of it and I don't feel bad for treating myself but I could've paid an additional $300 on my debt even if I'd just limited my spending to my regular income. It also would have been smart to put some aside as play money for later

*Budget Win- I'm still counting this as a win because even though I overspent I was able to pay $600 over what I expected to be able to do. I learned a lot this month, looking forward to the possibility of being debt free by the end of the year

March Goals:

*One clothing item purchase

*Only restock beauty purchases

*Stick to budget

I see more wins than boo-boos @Brutalitops - great job! You paid down so much debt and you seem to be learning more each month. You can do your March goals!

Thanks @ShortErica 

! The real test comes now that the "slow" progress months begin. This month will be rough for sure

Conversation Stats
Photos20
  • PhotoGrid_1578546640589.jpg
  • A8AAA174-13DB-4C13-8C6C-CD1B1B030EE6.gif
  • C7FFE4A8-52AF-4FCE-AAAB-0B397EFB149E.jpeg
  • 200.gif
  • First attempt at krumkake. Working on consistency.
  • 79B4ED52-8E59-465C-8088-D8B2368DEB0F.jpeg
  • EED8003C-755C-49DE-AA76-CF26D5857EC5.jpeg
  • 56510BDD-155A-4562-A827-873BB2AB2BBC.jpeg
  • 20201014_160637.jpg
  • D7B4F252-9F04-4681-8212-8F52F2C84A5C.jpeg
  • 42CA09A7-E315-4DDB-8E6F-B4CE17B8ECC7.jpeg
  • 0CB17153-10A0-4F9A-BEF9-1FA4647EF11D.jpeg
  • 72C15057-A018-4E34-9BAF-23DD1DF52CD5.jpeg
  • F03FC805-786F-4342-9E49-52971AA36C5A.jpeg
testing