Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Image result for 2020 Gif

Hello, hello! Welcome to Year 6 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Interested in past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

There have been so many lip oils/glosses/balms released recently that I've been tempted to pick up, thinking that I don't have that many. Today I deliberately went into my drawers and changed over my display to my spring/summer lippies, and it turns out that I already have fifteen! "Out of sight, out of mind" is an appropriate expression when it comes to my makeup collection; even though my display is clear, if it's not in front of my face I tend to forget about it. 

This weekend I plan to test them all, throw some out, then reassess. Truth be told, I'll probably buy myself something for my birthday on Monday. I am, after all, missing a coral/orange and a brown from my collection 🤣 

@tastelikewaterstory of my life! I see a new release and think "OOOO so pretty, I don't have a shade like that yet" and then I go through my drawers and lo and behold.... I have 4 each of the same 3 shades 🤦‍♀️🤣 Oops

Always good to go through the ol' drawers before an order. Happy birthday!

I had to cancel two trips so I’m swimming in extra cash and I really wanna buy all the things. Yikes. 

The last couple months have definitely been challenging in that respect @alexasteph but keeping that money in a separate account you don't spend now means you could take a dream vacay when all this is finally over! I've actually been less motivated to buy a lot of stuff since summer (and my events) are basically cancelled this year 😴

Good luck, and stay strong! We'll all get through this somehow

March 2020

Makeup: $26.62

• Bare Minerals Mineral Veil x2

Skincare: $18.09

• Kopari Deodorant
  • Schmidt's Deodorant x2

Haircare: $4.70

• SoCozy Conditioner

YTD Totals and Purchases

Spoiler

Makeup: $26.62

Spoiler
  • Bare Minerals Mineral Veil x2

Skincare: $82.36

Spoiler

Haircare: $10.03

Spoiler
  • Ouidad Featherlight Styling Cream
  • SoCozy Conditioner

I haven't worn makeup and my skincare has been slacking a lot. April is most likely a no buy but hopefully I'll start at least doing skincare consistently again. Hope everyone is sticking to their goals and staying safe and sane!

When I first had to WFH and practice social distancing, I just did my brows and occasionally did concealer and mascara. Now that I'm really trying to just go to get necessities once a week, this has been an unintended "no-buy" for the past 3 weeks since I haven't been using my makeup...not that it's a bad thing to be saving money. Anyone else??? 

Although... when the VIB sale happens sometime in April, I may need to do a small makeup restock Smiley Happy ...definitely skincare because I've still been consistent with it!

Good on you with your skincare @mmmiu! Unfortunately I've been slacking on that. Hopefully the unintended no buy lets you spoil yourself extra during the April sale.

RE: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Who needs support during this sale??? 🙋🏻‍♀️🙋🏻‍♀️🙋🏻‍♀️ there are so many great deals on things that I want. I’m trying to resist and buy nothing but it’s all so pretty. Who else is feeling the urge to shop??

Re: RE: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Yeah it’s been difficult @KehDee esp now that EVERYTHING is on sale online. Honestly other than the BIC I’ve just been trying to avoid the internet all together 🙈 Too much temptation!

RE: Re: RE: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Good policy @Brutalitops! I had to do a bit of online shopping for my daughter for Easter but I stayed within budget. And I managed to resist the Sephora sale. My birthday is in a week and I usually get some money so I might treat myself to something then

Re: RE: Re: RE: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

that's the best part about one-day sales @KehDee , you only have to resist for a little bit at a time 😊  Glad you got some Easter goodies for your little and way to stick to budget!

So stress got to me and I broke my budget.  I don't feel bad, because I definitely took time to think about my purchase, versus FOMO or complete impulse.

I am considered an essential worker during this crisis and while I'm not an EMT, nurse or physician, it's still stressful.

Many of the things I do or go to are closed, so talking with my fam, catching up on some shows and occasional purchases are keeping me going.  Also some appreciation from folks as well as passing that appreciation on, that helps, but otherwise it's hard.

RE: Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Thank you for putting yourself out there on the front line! I can’t imagine how hard that must be. But it’s awesome that you purchased with intention! @danielledanielle

@danielledanielle yeah it’s been tough this month, especially since it feels like there’s nothing to do *but* shop for a little boost of happiness. I definitely fell down on my goals this month, but it sounds like you’re at least making more intentional choices! Hopefully as we all adjust to this new normal it’ll get easier.

Hang in there!

Thanks @Brutalitops 

RE: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I almost made it through March without a purchase but to be fair, I bought skincare, not random makeup that I could probably live without. And I normally would have spent a lot more froM another source but I’m trying a few new products (one at a time!) and I think it will save me money in the end. Colourpop however, is still tempting me to no end!

Re: RE: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@KehDee  Skincare was always a good choice for me (as long as it was in my budget 🙂) since I always use all the product. It sounds like you’re doing the smart thing by taking it slow and hopefully you’ll find some new wallet-friendly winners!

@KehDee , trying a few new products one by one seems like a good idea.  You get past the novelty of the product and see how you really like it (or not).

And skincare's usually a good investment.  It's something I know I always pan/use up.

The last year or two I was on mostly a no-buy, though the last half of 2019 I bought a fair amount of products due to buying things for my wedding last fall. I was back to a low buy at the end of 2019 and I'm aiming for a pretty much no-buy 2020. Exception is for basics/replacements. And I've been good with this since New Years. Much like I have done in the past, I'm gonna start posting what I am buying to keep myself accountable this year.

January 2020 - None

February 2020 - None

March 2020 - Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder

So far so good! I realized while packing up to move that I had very little of my setting powder left. Since that's a "use every time I do makeup" product I ordered a new one. And I held out on ordering until I could get a good deal and I actually got a full sized Kylie highlighter and Physicians Formula bronzer. I didn't pay for them so I say they don't "count". Hopefully I keep the rest of the year pretty sparse! 

RE: Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Great job!! @Kay522
3 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • PhotoGrid_1578546640589.jpg
  • A8AAA174-13DB-4C13-8C6C-CD1B1B030EE6.gif