cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Image result for 2020 Gif

Hello, hello! Welcome to Year 6 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum๐Ÿ˜ž

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Interested in past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I purchased the DE F-Balm in first week of Jan without a sale or coupon but it was pre-planned and I clubbed the purchase to use with the make-over purchased requirement. It has proven to be a good purchase, combine with few hydrating products and layer of Lala this is helping me with using my exfoliators and retinol more regularly. 

@naturalooks15sounds like a good smart buy!

Anonymous Insider

This is an interesting thread. I totally LOVE going into Sephora and practically drool over all the choices. However, I'm a single mother with 3 still at home, and I don't use credit cards. So, my low-buy is not by choice. However, that's actually good in some ways, because it forces me to really research best options before I buy, and to buy only what I really love and will use. For example, I've been looking at UD Cherry Palette for months, comparing with other brands. I have green eyes, so I research what makes them pop. Red toned purples and pinks are on that list, so this palette was one of the few I knew I would use every single shade. I put it on my Christmas list because it's a higher price than I usually spend on myself. But no one got it for me (mostly males in my family lol), and so I saved up and bought it for myself lady night... but only after researching the brand, reviews, quality. In a sense, I think low buy keeps my supply lower, but much higher quality.

@Anonymoussame, when I was in college I used up everything I got- samples and all. These days samples pile up and I had to declutter my first full sized product I failed to use before its expiration, not great, but a good reality check. Just because I *can* buy something doesn't mean I should

RE: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I made one purchase this month. It was mascara that Iโ€™m running low on and some hairspray to help with these new hairs Iโ€™m growing. I had a $25 gift certificate so I only spent $20. I resisted buying the Pat McGrath Star Wars collection. I wanted them so bad as Iโ€™m a huge Star Wars fan but I just couldnโ€™t justify the expense.

Re: RE: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@KehDeeAwesome self-control! I have been trying to show self-control this month too! I need to purchase a few things but I am determined not to stray! 

Best,

Rebecca

RE: Re: RE: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Good luck @RebeccaBT! Iโ€™ve had self control problems so Iโ€™m proud of myself when I use it

I just made my first Sephora purchase of the year.  I feel good about it.  Last year (and maybe the one before?) I made a FOMO like purchase, using the promo before the sale ends!  Gotta grab a liner....that I might never use..but it's discounted!

Nope.  Not this time.  I feel pretty good about purchases so far, even with a brand I like making several drops.  I just need another two weeks without another drop, do you hear me Rihanna?!?!?

So far:

PMG

Ipsy Box

Fenty Liner

I still have about $30 in what I set aside or set as my low buy.  Next week it's my first lucky bag (which was paid for already, so I'm not counting it..OOP), so hopefully, it'll stave off my purchasing.

I also debated on counting sub boxes.  I sub to Allure and Ipsy currently.  I like Allure more, so I count it towards what all my subs (gym fees, music app, etc), as opposed to my low buy.  I tend to skip Ipsy frequently when I really don't like the previews, so I figured when I buy it, it should count towards my budget.

It also helps just typing this out.  So, I think I'll post in the thread more often vs. last year (more lurking and hearting).

RE: Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Great job!

@danielledanielle @Thats awesome!  I count my sub boxes and anything that falls into the realm of beauty mostly cause I know myself and that Iโ€™d just buy a bunch of subscription boxes if they didnโ€™t count toward my end total!  ๐Ÿ˜… 

I have to keep reminding myself Iโ€™m not missing out if itโ€™s something I wasnโ€™t psyched about to begin with.  Itโ€™s way too easy to get caught up in someone elseโ€™s excitement and want to join in on the experience but buying something that you yourself are excited about is way more satisfying in the long run.  (Where was this wisdom five years ago?) 

@heartsmyface don't know, but at least we have the wisdom...

@heartsmyface don't know, but at least we have the wisdom now! ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿฝโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿ˜‚

I made it 11 days without making a purchase from Sephora. But it was a planned purchase, needed a lip liner from CT.

RE: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Being intentional is important. Good for you!

thanks @KehDee it kinda backfired on me alot good promos...

thanks @KehDee it kinda backfired on me alot good promos dropped at once๐Ÿคฆ

Hi @sonnydee ,

Good job! I feel it doesn't count if it was planned ahead of time. 

Best Wishes,

Janean

The planning involved was 'oh, I need a matching liner wi...

The planning involved was 'oh, I need a matching liner with the new scarlet whatever, looked it up, added to loves list, or what I look at is-my to be purchased soon list.๐Ÿ˜Š good promo? ok, liner bought! @JaneanBT thankfully I got it within a few days savage rose was oos on her direct site

Love it! And I shouldn't google how old the kid is cause it will make me feel old @sonnydee ๐Ÿ˜‚

So real @ShortErica ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜ด

I am doing a low-buy this year (4 purchases only so kind of a quarterly thing) when it comes to makeup. I purchased 16 palettes last year, the Rephr launch set, some Sonia G eye brushes, the Wayne Goss Anniversary II set and a couple of other makeup items.I am trying to get to a place where I can use up what I have and then, buy what I will use consistently.I don't have a large amount of makeup, but I have above average and more than most. I need to stop buying eye palettes, I currently own 28. There are brands I adore, but I am not a completionist as TheFancyFace calls it, I do not need to own everything Pat McGrath sells. For my 4 purchases, I kind of have an idea on what and when I will buy. I want to try out Sydney Grace, specifically both of their eye palettes, I am hoping to shop their Christmas in July sale and purchase them then. If the Sky Eye Set is in stock during the gift card event, I will get it and Face Two. Depending on this year's luckybag, I would consider getting one for next year (will update on that once it comes in). Lastly, I am leaving room for a Pat McGrath purchase. I am also going to put a limit to how much I spend in total.This might be a stretch, but I am going to say $500 is my limit for all purchases. I do have some points and a reward that I am not including as a part of my low-buy. My reward expires in March so I will possibly use it to get the Mothership III: Subversive, if nothing else captures my eye.

RE: Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

You sound like me. I bought so much last summer. I donโ€™t have a collection as big as some but I need to use what I bought. Pat McGrath is hard to resist, especially for me with the new Star Wars collection. But I did it!

Re: RE: Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

She really is hard to resist! I skipped the Star Wars collection too. I have Decadence already. I did however want the Dark Galaxy mini, but I told myself that the shades are similar to some of of the ones in her other palettes, namely La Vie en Rose and the red looks comparable to the one in Bronze Seduction.

Conversation Stats
Photos20
  • PhotoGrid_1578546640589.jpg
  • A8AAA174-13DB-4C13-8C6C-CD1B1B030EE6.gif
  • C7FFE4A8-52AF-4FCE-AAAB-0B397EFB149E.jpeg
  • 200.gif
  • First attempt at krumkake. Working on consistency.
  • 79B4ED52-8E59-465C-8088-D8B2368DEB0F.jpeg
  • EED8003C-755C-49DE-AA76-CF26D5857EC5.jpeg
  • 56510BDD-155A-4562-A827-873BB2AB2BBC.jpeg
  • 20201014_160637.jpg
  • D7B4F252-9F04-4681-8212-8F52F2C84A5C.jpeg
  • 42CA09A7-E315-4DDB-8E6F-B4CE17B8ECC7.jpeg
  • 0CB17153-10A0-4F9A-BEF9-1FA4647EF11D.jpeg
  • 72C15057-A018-4E34-9BAF-23DD1DF52CD5.jpeg
  • F03FC805-786F-4342-9E49-52971AA36C5A.jpeg
testing