cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Image result for 2020 Gif

Hello, hello! Welcome to Year 6 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum😞

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Interested in past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

No buy, low buy 2020 goals

Makeup

Spoiler
  • Primer – no need to buy; I don’t use it and should use the samples I have
  • Foundation – low buy; only own one; may continue search for tinted moisturizer that works for me; try samples before buying; at most have 3 at one time
  • Bronzer – no need to buy; try Warmth again from BM and if it doesn’t work use the Faux Tan I own
  • Contour – no need to buy; use bronzer for this if I want to do it
  • Blush – no need to buy; I have a palette plus others so no need or desire to buy more
  • Setting Powder – replacement buy only; bought Mineral Veil last Ulta sale and have one open and one backup
  • Mascara – no need to buy; have so many minis from generous unicorn mail I’m looking forward to trying + have two vouchers from lash stash kits
  • Eyeshadow – no need to buy; I just don’t’ wear it
  • Lip – no need to buy; focus on what I have since I don’t wear lip products often; maybe, hopefully, successfully pan one

Skincare

Spoiler
  • Makeup Remover – low buy; I’m still on the hunt for a wonderful oil cleanser that I would optimally not need to follow up with micellar water
  • Gentle Cleanser – replacement buy; have a supply but will likely run out of it
  • Toner – no buy; try to incorporate Glamglow toner into my routine in 2020
  • Essence/Serum – replacement buy; can replace hyaluronic acid serum but also try and prioritize other serums gifted; exception – will pick up the COSRX snail essence during Ulta sale
  • Moisturizer – replacement buy; at most can have two unopened
  • Eye Creams – low buy; I feel like I want to experiment with this category
  • Lip Masks – no buy; make a bigger dent in the Laneige – aim to finish in 2021
  • Sheet Masks – no buy; use what I have; exception - gifts
  • Wash Off Masks – no buy; make more of a priority in my masking
  • Sleeping Masks – no buy; use the CVS tube I bought before the end of 2020

Hair

Spoiler
  • Shampoo – no need to buy
  • Conditioner – low/replacement buy; can try different conditioners post my DevaCurl year to see how others and my hair get along; must finish what I own first but can buy/own multiple kinds at once
  • Styling Products – low/replacement buy; can try different ones after my DevaCurl year to see how others and my hair get along; must finish what I own first but can buy/own multiple kinds at once
  • Masks – replacement buy; try the Briogeo I got in gratis then determine if I want/need to get more
  • Repair – replacement buy; bought Olaplex No. 3 and need to test; if it works will buy more

If I've missed anything obvious, let me know. I want to have my list as complete as possible so I (and you all) hold myself/me accountable.

@ShortErica  Since I almost copy-pasted your categories 🙂 , realized ... Do you not use actives (Vit C, BHA etc.) or counted those as serums or did I miss those in your list? Also make-up setting spray and eyebrow products in your make-up. 

@naturalooks15 I really haven't got into actives. There is a combination of AHA/BHA I believe in the GLAMGLOW - SUPERTONER™ Exfoliating Acid Solution Toner. I'm using The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid* 2% Emulsion 1 oz/ 30 mL @keana1 sent to me. Other than that I can't think of anything. A few products like primers/moisturizers have some vitamin C but I don't have a dedicated product for it. I have a handful of setting sprays which I will try to use (don't use them too often) so I'm not tempted to buy and will be down to one eyebrow product once I declutter/let the ones I have rightfully see a trash can vs. holding onto them. I probably missed a lot in the eye makeup category since I just do mascara and not eyeshadow and eyeliner. And yes, more steps in skincare too.

@ShortErica  Awesome list and details.

I did the inventory in last week of Dec. few activities pending. Need to complete those and post the details here so I can be accountable. 

Yay! I look forward to seeing your inventory @naturalooks15. Luckily I'm not a cat or curiosity would kill me. 😉

I'm willing to take them off ur hands😄

I'm willing to take them off ur hands😄

@ShortErica Few tips I’ve Been using to help go through products while on my empties journey..

Spoiler
a lot of wash-off masks can actually be used as sleeping masks! Ive been using three or four in this way (usually ones with hydration or repairing benefits) to get more use out of them and prevent me from buying new sleeping masks.

I have a few oil based makeup removers to go through this year, so I’ll tag you in my review of those as I go through them!

also I don’t know what HA serum you’re using, but I was recently gifted the HA+B5 one from the ordinary, hopefully I’ll make it through it this year and see how that works!

@cianni Thanks so much for your tips! I'll be curious about what oil cleansers work for you. Typically they do a good job with my standard makeup but when I wear tinted sunscreen, they just don't cut it. And I'd prefer not having to go over and over my face with micellar water. I wish I was more gentle with my skin. I really enjoy Vichy Mineral 89. I have The INKEY List Hyaluronic Acid (HA) Hydrating Face Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL to try and see if it's a cheaper option for my routine. But yes, let me know about the ordinary one!

2019 triumphs I took longer to rerouge and rediamond, stuck to my low buy for 7 months of the year, took a vaca, been saving for a new car and continue to save money in my retirements oh and bought a house I really almost forgot🤩. I maintained an inventory of all my products (except lips and nails which I plan to do by the end of the weekend/my vacation). I consulted my inventory via google doc when out shopping, I was planful in most shopping trips and set boundaries w myself around GWPs/coupons to remind myself there’s always a sale and I literally cannot have everything I already have a lot to use/wear lol.

2019 challenges In august I bought my feelings by October I was feeling better but habit set in.  And then it was holiday everything and I was here for it and I’ve got the inventory chore to remind my self of that fun and also how it feels like a chore and less fun after all.  Although helpful to remind me moving forward of how I may feel about my treasures when I acquire to many too quickly or outside of budget.  I also found that staying off shopping sites during the day helped me not be as tempted if I know somethings coming up from my evening bic peruse cool, if not okayyy I guess lol.

2020 goals I will stick to my financial plan that is currently written up through March, it has room for recreational spending but very limited although I will get a Valentine’s Day gift or 2 in feb and my bday is in March so I can see some light🤑💄. I just posted my panning projects so I will use my products regularly because it really does bring me joy to use them, smell them, look at them arranged pretty lol. I hope to provide myself with all the self love and care in 2020 mind & body.  Here’s to a 2020 journey 👀🍾🥳🥰

@SAlyFitz, Congrats on 2019 and I love the google docs inventory sheet idea. I too have an inventory list but not such that I can check it when or as I’m shopping.  Cool idea.

Thanks! Tracking is so helpful in general!

Congrats on your 2019 triumphs @SAlyFitz and go get it in 2020!

Thanks you too!

No. More. Buying eyeshadow palettes in 2020 except for this one planned palette this year. Oh man, I hope the releases won't be tempting.

RE: Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I hear this!! So hard to resist a good new palette

@RNGesusPlsI am on this plan too, I'm allowing myself 1 palette but only because I know the indecision and FOMO for what *might* come out will help keep me at bay for most of the year 🙃

What helped me in 2019 was -

1. finding low cost items I liked in a category to replace the high cost items (e.g. Squalane oil from Indie Lee, TO rather than Drunk Elephant Marula;  K-beauty Essence so I use B-Hydra now once a day rather than twice a day and cost of those is 1/3 of B-Hydra). I felt this way I didn’t feel too restricted and also got actually better results. 

2. also, not opening the monthly haul thread and monthly favorites thread too frequently. I realized that is how I was becoming aware of new items and after seeing good reviews from trusted people here, I get tempted.

3. preparing cart but convincing myself to not pull the trigger till I either find a sale or a coupon. Then I was able to talk myself out of many items while waiting for sale etc for 3-4 weeks

Thanks for sharing your tips @naturalooks15 !!

The 3rd one has worked wonders for me.  I’m finding I don’t have a true desire to buy the things that initially capture my attention, and TBH I often forget about said items with a couple days (if not a few hours).  The over saturation of the market has worked to my benefit.

RE: Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

These are great tips!! You can still be a part of the forums but not see those things that may make you purchase impulsively. I’ve been trying to put things in my cart and leave them there as well. It feels like shopping but I’m not actually spending

Awesome tips @naturalooks15! If you don't need an item immediately, waiting for a sale/coupon and reevaluating really helps determine if you want a product or not.

@ShortErica  this is so true. Often purchases are spontaneous and when I put more thought into it I don't always end up getting them. Definitely will be re-evaluating purchases.

Conversation Stats
Photos20
  • PhotoGrid_1578546640589.jpg
  • A8AAA174-13DB-4C13-8C6C-CD1B1B030EE6.gif
  • C7FFE4A8-52AF-4FCE-AAAB-0B397EFB149E.jpeg
  • 200.gif
  • First attempt at krumkake. Working on consistency.
  • 79B4ED52-8E59-465C-8088-D8B2368DEB0F.jpeg
  • EED8003C-755C-49DE-AA76-CF26D5857EC5.jpeg
  • 56510BDD-155A-4562-A827-873BB2AB2BBC.jpeg
  • 20201014_160637.jpg
  • D7B4F252-9F04-4681-8212-8F52F2C84A5C.jpeg
  • 42CA09A7-E315-4DDB-8E6F-B4CE17B8ECC7.jpeg
  • 0CB17153-10A0-4F9A-BEF9-1FA4647EF11D.jpeg
  • 72C15057-A018-4E34-9BAF-23DD1DF52CD5.jpeg
  • F03FC805-786F-4342-9E49-52971AA36C5A.jpeg
testing