cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Image result for 2020 Gif

Hello, hello! Welcome to Year 6 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum😞

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Interested in past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I’ve never been on a low or no buy. My plan is to do a low buy. I have tons of skincare I need to go through this year. I plan to repurchase essentials when they run out. I need to work through my masks so will try to be more active in the masking threads. I don’t even want to know how much I spent if I totaled all retailers. I made rouge but do not plan to this year. Perhaps I will make vib but most likely not. I cancelled my subscription boxes and will only have Birchbox because I’m locked in to a year subscription. When this is up i will cancel it. I think I always want to try new things but I have plenty of products to try out!!!!

@jen81   I find shopping you stash is really fun once you get into it and think of your storage space as a store.  

Just reorganizing everything makes it all seem newer.  
On a side note- I hate when boxes lock you in.  If you want to stop receiving them they should just back charge you for the little extra cost of the shorter term subscription and let you go.  It’s just irritating.  

I’m always rearranging my stash @heartsmyface . I did know I was locked into Birchbox and got a free Amika straightening brush. So worth it in my opinion. They also let you skip a month and accrue credits toward a purchase,  which I may due instead of getting boxes. They also let you get full size products. It is nice they have those options

I did better last year, but not as good as I hoped. I have been tracking my purchases in spreadsheets since 2017, 2018 being the highest spend I had hit. I wanted to go down in 2019 because when I totaled 2018 I was kind of horrified. I was super stoked because I only had 40 purchasesfrom Sephora in 2019 (down from 97 in 2018), unfortunately I made up for it by having 44 more purchases at Ulta and individual webstores. I was still down by $250 from 2018, but I was hoping to spend even less. I did stick to my rules of only buying from the few brands I really love (TooFaced, UD, KVD) and really thinking about things before I bought them. I haven't bought the new Lolita line because I keep getting screwed buyingKat's stuff right away & then it goes on sale like 50% off or more, so Iam waiting for all her stuff now. I barely got anything from the UD & TF holiday lines, and the pieces I did were all on sales. I also stopped buying things just for the GAP, fomo is real, but I'm not letting it rule me anymore. My biggestweakness is that I never want to run out of essentials (skin & haircare)so I tend to stockpile/hoard them, I am a sucker for a 20% off or higher sale on my HG products. This year my plans are to keep to an Ultra-low buy (I can't do no buy, I love to shop) so I have strategies :Canceled Ipsy (& better watch Ipsy+ to possibly cancel) to cut down on unchecked purchases.Do 20 in 2020 empties challenge to force me to use what I have.Continue to track purchases to be mindful of spending.Track stockpile to show myself what I do/don't need.Continue to only buy from favorite brands and don't buy things as soon as they drop to wait for sales.I am hoping to spend at least $500 less than last year *fingers crossed*

@deathkittyThat seems like a fairly reasonable goal.  I like it.  Hahah, yeah I blew a lot of what I didn’t spend at Sephora on makeup while travelling so completely relatable.  it still went to beauty products 😅. I rationalized that I couldn’t get those products at home😏
ipsy is the only sub I kept cause it’s the only one i feel like I can actually get through the products with.  

I was doing both Ipsy & Ipsy+, so I got rid of the little...

I was doing both Ipsy & Ipsy+, so I got rid of the little one since I feel like the plus is a really good value. I also REALLY love the makeup bags. I like to buy makeup when I travel too, but it's just a Sephora in a differt city so it's not really justified Lol.

Re: I was doing both Ipsy & Ipsy+, so I got rid of the little...

@deathkitty  Hahah, but visiting Sephora’s in other  countries is fun!  They usually have a differing variety of brands from at home!  I do make a travel rule that if I CAN buy it at home I can’t buy it while travelling.  

Re: I was doing both Ipsy & Ipsy+, so I got rid of the little...

@heartsmyface Lol, Its not even different countries, just other states.

My low buy last year was a success, I barely made Diamond (I actually had to try but I wanted to due to their reward system/free shipping at $25. I don't like to go in store) in December. Got rid of alot. Started destashing by throwing away items, giving as gifts, giving away or even selling items that I know longer could use or have no use for. BUT Icould do better. I did make Rouge (but I most likely will every year not by choice but because my regular items are expensive-ie shampoo & conditioner $25 each at least. I got long hair.) I started practicing quality over quantity and last year was the first year ever that I did not purchase ANYTHING that I can recall from Too Faced holiday. So my ideas for 2020 for a even, smarter lower buy 1. Pause ipsy, if nothing interests me. (I did 1 time for the first time ever last year, it washard but NOTHING interested me 2. Research, research & research products some more before I buy. I shopped alot at Tjmaxx/Marshall's last year, got alot of good deals but also bought some that I ended up regretting but hate returns (some i hated so much I did return). Now I'm going to look up the item, while I'm there & decide if it's for me or not. 3. Limit my promos. They get me ALOT. The newness & FOMO bug bites me. If I'm iffy about it im going to take advantage of Sephoras great sampling-if it's near me. Or take a sample from store anyways if there's nothing in my cart & 1 try will tell me if I like it or not. 4. Destash if I don't absolutely love it. I got alot of samples, I want to try but develop a list of HG. A list because I like to use products by what my skin needs/ have a variety. A small, controllable variety 😜 5. Shop my stash & appreciate what I have 6. Wear mascara & at least, 1 other makeup item every time I go out. (Go out-drs appt for the kids, church, of course date with the hubs). Lip gloss unless really pigmented does not count! I started mascara last year, it makes me feel pretty & more put together but I'm not going to kid myself in thinking I'm going to wear it on a regular, everyday basis though I think this a BIG enoughfor me to tackle but achieveable. I may need to add to it. Its a lil too early for me to think.....😊 edit: forgot one! 7. Send my earnings from topcashback, mrrebates, etc. straight to account or PayPal so I can put on my credit card balance instead of a Sephora gift card-exception, if theres a PLANNED purchase -ND, Pat new release I will use

Wonderful goals @sonnydee! TJ Maxx/Marshall's really got me last year. I stopped in yesterday and they had Ole Henriksen power bright packs in clearance for $10. I haven't even used one from the box I bought but still thought..hey my rule says I could buy masks as gifts. I need to focus on what I have cause it's a lot!

thanks @ShortErica I can go in & leave emptyhanded but if...

thanks @ShortErica I can go in & leave emptyhanded but if there's TCS masks especially, they are scarce so i feel like I need to buy them all & have backups...I did save of ton of money though! But also learned from my mistakes, only buy things even at a discount if they are really going to work with my skin shade. And I dont need back ups of eyeshadow palettes (found MJ steeletto in Dec at Marshalls 😲) that in already own & used literally once. #bitofahoarder lol

Re: thanks @ShortErica I can go in & leave emptyhanded but if...

@sonnydee   Omg palette backups!   I was buying two of a few palettes a few years back and learned my lesson.   They still sit untouched with the first palette barely touched.   Hahaha.  Sigh. 

Me too!  This is my first year of attempting to control/low buy my makeup/skincare purchases.  I have so very much there is literally nothing I could possibly need, but NEW always draws me in, as do sales, GWPs, and Marshalls/TJs/Cosmetics Company Outlet deals.  I seem to get one area under control (no matter how pretty it is or new the formula is, I don't need more pink beige neutral lipstick), I move on to a new focus (most recently Tom Ford perfume).  

I'm going to try keeping a spreadsheet of all purchases starting now and see if that helps me avoid pointless splurges. You all have inspired me 🙂

This past year I was reasonably successful at my replacements-only no-buy, but I still bought a lot of replacements since I don't keep a lot of backup items. I feel weird saying I'll do another "no-buy" when I know I'll be dropping a decent amount of coin again this year, so I'm calling it my "2020 Smart Buy" instead. My only rule is that I need to use up a product in order to buy a product.

It will be pretty simple to predict my makeup purchases based on the past couple of years:PhotoGrid_1578546640589.jpg

@fieldsofclover The spreadsheets are super clever.  I didn’t make one for last year but I was taking photos of my empties all year so I may have to go through them and make a rough one so I can project my spending accordingly.  

Love the spreadsheets @fieldsofclover! That's awesome you have two years of info and will be able to estimate your purchases for the year. You'll do great with your Smart Buy!

RE: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I managed to successfully complete my no-buy for the last three months of 2019. I’ve recently decluttered my collection down to what I feel is realistic for me to use and a collection of items I truly love. For 2020 my goal is to only purchase one beauty item a month. I’m not setting a dollar amount because I know some months it will be replacing my eyeliner which is less expensive than a new palette so I’m confidant that my spending won’t get out of hand and I know it’ll be a combination of wants and needs which should keep my collection useable and one that I truly love.

Maybe this has been already posted, if so, I apologize but it looks like she recycles it every year? and it's a good read on Temptalia, How-to Buy Less Makeup: Guide to Makeup No-Buys & Low-Buys (2020) MAKEUP HOW-TOS & TIPS I found it when I searched for tips on low buy. I did good last year but this year I want to do even better. Good luck to all!

@sonnydee this was a great read, thanks!

your welcome @sprocketta figured it might help with the "...

your welcome @sprocketta figured it might help with the "itch" to buy

I have my inventory done about 80% I'd say. Using an excel but  putting that up here might be too much so using the same format as @ShortErica 

Makeup : I don't use much other than eyeliner and brow so only things I might buy is eyeliner (been "eyeing" Marc Jacobs Beauty Fineliner Ultra-Skinny Gel Eye Crayon Eyeliner in TRUFFLED) and a brow pencil (not sure which one)

Spoiler
  • Primer – Don;t use much. Need to try few samples and finish 2-3 foil and 1 DS I have
  • Foundation – Few sample cards. Also have RMS beauty un-coverup. I am liking this for now as I am WFH most of the time and in general don't like foundation/ concealer. I feel they make my skin worse. Make pore look bigger, lines look deeper etc. Want to try CT foundation
  • Bronzer – Have rewards size Nars and also one in my HG ambient ghost edit pallet from last year. Enough for me 
  • Contour – Don't know how to do it well. Use bronzer for now
  • Blush – Have rewards size Nars, Tarte Partttyyy (I think from B'day gift couple of years ago)  and also one in my HG ambient ghost edit pallet from last year. Enough for me
  • Setting Powder – These make me look dryer and like a ghost. Need to find one that works for me. Have a Make-up forever one. Finish what I have first. Also I use Ambient powders as setting powders so need to see if that works well. 
  • Mascara – Have been using and loving "Damn Girl" from gratis. Also have couple of minis left (gave away about 7-8 minis). Might have to buy towards the end of the year
  • Eyeshadow – Bought PMG 6 pan (Platinum bornze), Soft Glam (used 5-6 times so far), Vise Art Golden Hour (not touched yet), Tarte Toasted (not touched yet). I need to learn to use these but they seem too much work for me. Look so pretty on others that I feel the lure to buy these. I DO NOT need to buy any. Just use the ones I have 
  • Lip – Have PMG minis, Nards crayon and few others. Use what I have. Only things I have been consistently using is Huda Beauty Spice Girl contour kit. I LOVE it !! it's a perfect match for my dark lips. Doesn't make me feel it's too much even though is it dark as this is so close to my natural lip color. 

Eyeshadow primer  - Have one unopened from last year 😞 . Use it
    Setting spray - Have a DS. No need to buy

Skincare - This is my weakness area and where I make most purchases so need to lookout for this

Spoiler
  • Makeup Remover – Have DE Slaai unopened. Finishing up previous DE Slaai jar and a Clinique TTDO balm DS size. Have 1/2 Bioderma Micellar water. Also bought DHC oil from Costco for DD which I suspect she souldn't finish so I can use it. Enough for now. 
  • Gentle Cleanser – Have a CosRX low PH cleanser that I just opened. Also have 3-4 Korres greek yougurt tubes plus a DEBeste. I share these with whole family so will have to buy in the second half.
    Toner – Just opened Klairs supple prep toner y'day. No Buy
  • Essence/Serum – Replacement buy would be needed towards the end of the year I think; I have reduced cost in this category a lot. Have TO Marine Hyaluronics instead of Consonant Hydraextreme that is working really well as hydrator.
    TO Marine Hyaluronics
    Stratia Rewind
    DE B-Hydra
    CosRx Snail mucin - one finishing up and one brand new sitting here
    NIOD copper peptide serum - DO NOT open until finish some of the opened ones
  • Moisturizer – Replacement buy would be needed towards the end of the year I think
    Lala - opened last week
    Protini - BNIB, waiting to be opened, DS B'day size also in stock
  • Eye Creams – No buy. Have enough to last whole year and things that work well for me
    DE Shaba opened;
    DDG retinol serum with Noni glow eye oil
    C-Tango - BNIB for back-up
    Glow Recipe Avocado eye sleeping mask in rotation
    2 DS Boissance give to DD
  • Lip Masks – Finish Laneige Jar and Bite tube before buying the Tatcha
  • Sheet Masks – Don't use much. Have 2 dozen from costco. Finish those
  • Treatments/ Actives  – No buy. Finish DE TLC, Farmacy C-serum, DE C-serum, DE A-Passioni this year; using COsRx BHA more often as that is so much gentler on my skin
    also have TO Azeliac acid
  • Sleeping Masks – Bought DE F-Balm (arriving next week). Also bought Stratia Liquid Gold, like it so far. 

Hair -

Spoiler
  • Shampoo – Olaplex 4, Living Proof Triple detox, Head  & Shoulder Costco size, probably no need to buy
  • Conditioner – NO buy. I need to finish Briogeo and also many random conditioner sitting here
  • Styling Products – I recently got GWP Living Proof Style Extender and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It makes hair soft, shiney, non-frizzy, not-at-al-greasy plus it didn't get oily for 4 days, a rare for me. If it continues to work long term, will re-buy this. ALso like LP T.B.D. styler, Need to finish the travel size that I have. Have few other heat protectants that I need to empty, 
  • Masks – Finish Briogeo that I got (jar and also caps) 
  • Repair – Finish Olaplex 3 that I have

Conversation Stats
Photos20
  • PhotoGrid_1578546640589.jpg
  • A8AAA174-13DB-4C13-8C6C-CD1B1B030EE6.gif
  • C7FFE4A8-52AF-4FCE-AAAB-0B397EFB149E.jpeg
  • 200.gif
  • First attempt at krumkake. Working on consistency.
  • 79B4ED52-8E59-465C-8088-D8B2368DEB0F.jpeg
  • EED8003C-755C-49DE-AA76-CF26D5857EC5.jpeg
  • 56510BDD-155A-4562-A827-873BB2AB2BBC.jpeg
  • 20201014_160637.jpg
  • D7B4F252-9F04-4681-8212-8F52F2C84A5C.jpeg
  • 42CA09A7-E315-4DDB-8E6F-B4CE17B8ECC7.jpeg
  • 0CB17153-10A0-4F9A-BEF9-1FA4647EF11D.jpeg
  • 72C15057-A018-4E34-9BAF-23DD1DF52CD5.jpeg
  • F03FC805-786F-4342-9E49-52971AA36C5A.jpeg
testing