cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Image result for 2020 Gif

Hello, hello! Welcome to Year 6 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum😞

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Interested in past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Yay for Excel spreadsheets @naturalooks15! Looking at my spreadsheet I'm like oh, it isn't as bad as I expected since it's all tidy but you're right, writing it all out makes you realize it will take a little while to use. How do you like the CosRx snail mucin? Have you used other serums/essences with snail?

@ShortErica  I like the snail quite a bit and it's helping me strech B-Hydra as I don't feel the need to use B-Hydra when I use this. I think I bought it seeing itsfi's recommend it here as well as few other recommendations around the web.

Having said that, I don't think it's enough on its own for me. This is how I use it -

In the Full Routine

• Use a watery serum (TO Marine Hyaluronics; I really really like it in 1 week that I have used it for. This is replacing my Consonant HydraExtreme since I can't find that on Costco now and no way can shell out $80/oz for that)
  • Use CosRX Snail mucin 

Go on with rest of the routine -

• B-Hydra or Stratia rewind (one of these only if needed and only when I don't use snail mucin)
  • Vit C
  • sunscreen if going out

Sometime if I am going for a workout in the early morning, I don't do full routine but just mix - TO Marine Hyaluronics, CosRx Snail Mucin, Oils (squalane and/or TO rosehip) and apply. This is enough even in the pacific NW winters. 

Benefits I saw with snail mucin - Brightening plus a bit of glowing effect, as well as very moisturizing  for my dry flaky skin. 

Oh wow - helping with dry flaky skin @naturalooks15 - I need to get my husband to use it!

Writing it all made me realize I have everything at least for 6 months so definitely no need to buy anything till June and probably stretch it till first 20% sale in Aug before buying anything.

I took a bit of a hiatus here but I'm back with better defined goals for the upcoming year. October through December were bad budget months for me, but I did do good (or at least significantly better than I have in the past) with my low-buy commitments on makeup, clothing, and shoes- my overspending was mostly gifts and home/kitchen goods.

2020 Plans/Goals and actions

Spoiler
I've decided to embark on a no shopping year for 2020 (with some exceptions) for two very big reasons- I want to eliminate my credit card debt, and I want to de-clutter my home. I've enlisted the help of my SO to keep me going with the no- buy and I'm re-committing o not buying anything online if there is a store nearby.

As some other people have before me, I have made a spreadsheet of all the skincare items I have in different categories and I've committed to using all of them in a category before I buy something new, with the exception that I can throw it out if I absolutely hate it after three uses. I won't make it the whole year without buying new stuff, but I'll have used all I have and made it to a better place with clearing out my bathroom and hopefully saving some money. I plan to make month specific goals that are more specific/attainable/actionable since my "no buy" is so murky and covers a lot of different ground.

January goals:

• Absolutely no makeup or skincare purchases
  • Only make purchases of clothes/etc that can be covered by holiday gift cards
  • Stick to my budget

RE: Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Great plans!! You’ve got this!

Happy New Year everyone

Last year I was working on getting through my current skincare stash.  I can tell you that’s not going to happen and that I will be decluttering A LOT and only keeping one or two products from each category.  I have HG products that I would prefer to keep purchasing as I finish them so there’s no need for everything else.  
Makeup though,- my no buy worked until it didn’t. I did very well with my no buy for four months and then Christmas came along.   I still managed to spend much less than in previous years so it’s still a win.  
I’m not giving myself any hard rules for my no buy/low buy.  My only rule is keep being conscientious of my purchases and to buy only what I truly believe I will use.  Easier said than done but that’s what I’m working on.  

RE: Re: 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

You’ve got this! Being intentional with your spending is huge.

What a great group and I'm totally going to join this no buy/low buy effort. I'm a sucker for a gwp or a glitch deal but I want to focus more on using what I have and buying to replenish what I do actually use. Of course, it's hard to say no buying at all as I love to shop but I will definitely put more effort and thought into what I do buy. As my stash gets lower, I will buy to try and for fun but with limits and not always splurging due to FOMO... lol. 

@GalPalVal17   The FOMO is a hard one.  If everyone is raving about a new skincare product i’lI most certainly want to try it as well.  I think taking advantage of sampling at Sephora will help with this.  It’s also a dangerous mission to go in store to try a sample so I may need to experiment with this plan.  

@heartsmyface  that is such a great tip. I do go in every so often to get a sample but like you said, that can be dangerous because of the instant gratification. I swear, there is always something to tempt us!

@GalPalVal17   Haha, for real though!  The thought of recruiting my husband to make the dangerous Sephora journey for samples has crossed my mind.  😜 I bet he may do it for me as long as I’m not sending him every two days.  

My 2020 goals are straightforward (and super difficult)...

My resolution for this year was to use what I have, in the interest of appreciating everything I am lucky enough to already have and also to be more environmentally friendly. I want to have a more definitive set of products I love, and then occasionally try new things in the future (instead of my current method of accumulating and trying everything, all of the time). It’ll be nice to have some more solid staple products.

ideally, I would like a strict NO buy on clothing, shoes, makeup and fragrance for the entire year. I’m taking it one month at a time with a “realistic” goal of 6 months. I have enough of all makeup to last at least that long, if not the entire year.

i am also applying that 6 month rule for skincare. I probably could do the whole year in most categories (serums, cleanser, moisturizer, masks), but I don’t want to limit myself because my skin is picky sometimes and may have different needs than I anticipate. I’ll try to go as long as I can!

@cianni  Appreciation went a long way last year for me and was probably my strongest tool.  Good luck! 

Great goal @cianni  !! I have similar goals. We will succeed together !!

@naturalooks15 We definitely can do it!!

I'm so excited for you @cianni! How many moisturizers and serums do you have? Are you planning to use one at a time or mix and match?

@ShortErica Thank you!! I came across value sizes of a few of my go-to moisturizers either in gift sets (i picked up the Fablantis that had a huge tub of the ultra repair that gets me through the winter), or at winners. I have an unopened 90ml of OLEHENRIKSEN - Sheer Transformation® Perfecting Moisturizer that I scored for $24.99 a while ago (my standard spring/mid fall moisturizer) and a 50ml Biotherm Aquasource for $9.99 that is lightweight and think will be perfect for the summer and maybe early fall if it stays warm. I also have a few DS of belif and Clinique moisturizers floating around so I think that will be ok. 

for serums/toners I use two categories: hydration for night and brightening/soothing for the day. I have an unopened FS of my CAUDALIE - Vinoperfect Anti Dark Spot Serum, and backups of my Origins Dr. Andrew Weil For Origins™ Mega-Mushroom Relief & Resilience Soothing Treatment Lotion 6.7 oz/ 200 mL. When I run out of the Caudalie, I have a couple DS of radiance-boosting serums that I meant to try this year, so I think I’ll make it! I have a bunch of products to satisfy the hydration component (well over a years worth) so I think I’ll be ok in that department! The hydrators I can mix and match, but I won’t do that with the morning ones.

You've really thought this through and I love seeing your process @cianni. I don't have to think about moisturizers for different times of year. 😭 I miss seasons! Do you have an empties and/or pan project to coordinate with your no buy? I have a feeling you'll have lots to show.

@ShortErica Thank you!! As for the seasons, I’m lucky that this Toronto winter has been less winter-y thus far... I’m jealous you don’t have to deal with what will inevitably be a wild, blizzardy and icy mid Jan to late Feb! I’m still thinking about my pan, but it’ll be focused on makeup. I realized I’ll need to plan it out if I want to hit my goal of 50 makeup products for this year. Based on last year, where I hit 30, I’m thinking 50 is ambitious, but I’ll have to decide what I consider “done” for powder products. I am confident that I can hit pan on a bunch of my powder products, but based on my usage, not too sure a lot of them are going to end up totally empty 

The double-edged sword of lasting products @cianni😂

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos20
  • PhotoGrid_1578546640589.jpg
  • A8AAA174-13DB-4C13-8C6C-CD1B1B030EE6.gif
  • C7FFE4A8-52AF-4FCE-AAAB-0B397EFB149E.jpeg
  • 200.gif
  • First attempt at krumkake. Working on consistency.
  • 79B4ED52-8E59-465C-8088-D8B2368DEB0F.jpeg
  • EED8003C-755C-49DE-AA76-CF26D5857EC5.jpeg
  • 56510BDD-155A-4562-A827-873BB2AB2BBC.jpeg
  • 20201014_160637.jpg
  • D7B4F252-9F04-4681-8212-8F52F2C84A5C.jpeg
  • 42CA09A7-E315-4DDB-8E6F-B4CE17B8ECC7.jpeg
  • 0CB17153-10A0-4F9A-BEF9-1FA4647EF11D.jpeg
  • 72C15057-A018-4E34-9BAF-23DD1DF52CD5.jpeg
  • F03FC805-786F-4342-9E49-52971AA36C5A.jpeg
testing