Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

updated 12/31/19* The 2020 Thread is here 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Hey all!  Welcome to Year 5 of the No/Low Buy thread 😲

Since 2019 is LITERALLY around the corner so I figured it was time to get this thread started.  The 2018 thread can be located here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/2018-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILI...

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

The 2017 OP and link:

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler

Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

You can resale your expensive makeup on various sites or trade it through makeup groups. I give to a women’s shelter and they won’t pass out Used makeup or toiletries. They like new socks, shoes and underwear. 

@howconnie Since it's on the older side, I don't feel comfortable trading it or selling it. I don't think it's expired since they're barely used powder products but still.

@makeitup305  You may want to give your local shelters a call just to be sure. I know in my city some shelters specifically request basic makeup, skin care, and hair products so that women searching for new employment can enhance their appearance if they wish to. It gives some women a real confidence boost. 

One thing I think I may do this year is to connect with a local MUA organization that does free prom makeup application for low-income youth each year and ask them if they would want any of my donate-able makeup and skin care products. I like the idea of rewarding a generous MUA with beauty products either for their clients or for themselves 😊

Maybe these ideas will help you think of ones that speak to you? 😊

@PinkEvergreen I like the idea of giving it to an MUA. I think from what I've heard, it depends on the shelter as to whether they take used stuff or not and usually they look for foundation, concealer, mascara and maybe blush? I don't think anyone would want my Viseart Paris Nudes lol I also don't feel comfortable enough selling stuff since most of it isn't brand new, not expired but one or two years old. I hate stuff going to waste.

Sounds like you are getting super organized @PinkEvergreen. Jessica seems so relatable and this category approach gives everything a proper place. Keep it up!

@ShortErica  She really is. I like how no-nonsense she is, and how she skips drama pretty much entirely and focussed on good issues that are helpful 😊

@PinkEvergreen I would love to see pictures of your art project if you’re willing to share at some point. 😀

@lnum If it turns out well, sure! 😊

@PinkEvergreen I’m sure it will be great! 🙌🏼

Bath And Body Works had two different one day sale that I gave in to. I spent a total of $23, I didn’t need anything I bought but I wanted them. I’m back on my no buy August but I’ll try for a no buy September and October. I want a month where I don’t buy anything this year.

Just wanted to share I had the opportunity to meet the lovely @ElleElleG at the NYC community meetup last night. Thanks for taking on the legacy of running this thread after my departure, and I still swear by it’s transformative power. Changed my life! Happy to see you all continuing the journey. 😇

Loved meeting you as well @lnum !  I can't wait to hear more about all the travel you've embarked on since making the change in your beauty spending, so inspirational 😘

@ElleElleG Thank you! I’ve actually never quantified it before, but now that I’m thinking about it I’ve visited 8 different countries and countless new cities/places in the past three years and I am not slowing down. 😄

RE: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

It’s officially been over a month since I made a purchase! I’m proud of myself. I see there is a rouge sale coming up at the end of the month. I plan on picking up a couple of things that I’m almost out of but need for daily wear (like foundation) but that’s about it. What does everyone else have planned for the sale?

Congrats @KehDee!

Congrats @KehDee!

Re: RE: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Edit: tbh doing product discussion in this thread feels counterproductive 😕

Re: RE: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@KehDee  I’m skipping the August sale completely. I really don’t need anything and I’ve committed to only restocking essentials when I actually run out — no more pre-buying. The reason I no longer want to pre-buy products I’m currently using is because I often find something better after a few months. However, if I’ve pre-bought a particular product, I’m stuck having to use it up, and sometimes I just end up giving it away.

I’d rather pay a bit more and always have the option to use the product I want to use at a given time, instead of having to use up products I bought in large quantities during sales. 

@PinkEvergreen So true! It's so easy to get caught up in the sale fever that you spend $50 to save $10 and then when it comes time to actually use it... you've actually just wasted $40. I've been trying my best to escape the cycle myself by only purchasing restocks I am still excited about and not just running low on

If I see perfume on sale I might get it, but I might just wait for the next sale.

Great job @KehDee! The only things I plan on getting during the sale are 

Farmacy Very Cherry Bright 15% Clean Vitamin C Serum with Acerola Cherry 1.0 oz/ 30 mL

because I need a new vitamin C serum and restocking on  HUM NUTRITION - Beauty zzZz Sleep Support Supplement

I thought about trying something for The Inkey List but since insiders aren't included, I guess I'm not really skipping but not invited. Oh well..nothing I need anyway.

929 Replies
testing