Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

updated 12/31/19* The 2020 Thread is here 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Hey all!  Welcome to Year 5 of the No/Low Buy thread 😲

Since 2019 is LITERALLY around the corner so I figured it was time to get this thread started.  The 2018 thread can be located here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/2018-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILI...

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

The 2017 OP and link:

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler

Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Despite the fact that I just dropped $50 on an assortment of sheet masks, I'm actually feeling pretty confident. I decided NOT to spend to get a blind lucky bag from Tatcha or anywhere else. I'm still working my way through stuff I've already purchased, and I'm shifting my focus to spending on things that make me feel good regardless of whether or not I can perceive a noticeable improvement.

I spent some time writing down how much different products that I've tried actually cost and the amount you get for the price, and also what they cost when they are 20% off. Then I looked at each item and tried to justify it at the reduced cost as compared to other products that are cheaper. In some cases this was a no brainer since, for example, the most expensive eye treatment that I've tried so far was horrible and made my under eye area look worse to the point that I looked like I had a black eye.

While this is still very much a work in progress, I'm feeling happy about where I am mentally now that I'm not obsessing over finding HG products.

I’m ready! I have all my rules written in my bullet journal, and I spent time doing an inventory of everything I own last night. 

I also did a 1.5 month no buy to prep and iron out my rules for myself. This past Friday I did make 3 purchases - an eye cream (I ran out of mine shortly after my short test no-buy started), and two of the Tarte Chrome Paint eyeshadows (on my wishlist for months and I have nothing like them). I cannot even explain how excited I was when I bought those chrome paints. I haven’t been so ecstatic about new makeup in FOREVER. It almost started a dangerous backslide though because it tempted me to purchase other things. I stuck to pre-planned purchases only though, so all is well. It did show me that a year long no buy is probably necessary to actually change my way of thinking and relationship with shopping though. 

I’m excited for 2019!

I spent $62 after the $25 discount during the early December promo, and nothing since then.  I've put things in my basket and taken them out.  

My New Years resolution is to rid myself of FOMO.  And to get my stock of travel/trial/sample size down to 1/4 of what it is now.  

I'll place an order for some HUM after the first of the year, I don't stockpile that and will be running out by mid month.  Otherwise, I'm probably going to wait until there is a good promo, because I do need a new hairdryer (mine died after an extended illness and I'm using the small one from the guest bath that doesn't have a concentrator).  I don't want to buy anything more until after the New Year to reset and start the climb to re-up the Rouge status.

What strategies will you use to get rid of FOMO?

Looking at the two years worth of skin care piled up in my closet!

Lol! Great idea!

I've kind of naturally wound up in a low-buy, which I am grateful for because I definitely spent a LOT on beauty this year. I've reached a point where I've realized a lot of the new items coming out aren't all that different from what I already have. I still have a wishlist of mostly high end items, but am fine waiting for a sale to purchase those. It's a weird funk I'm in, but I'm happy to only get what I find inspiring rather than to accumulate.

Unsure where to share this but I just did my year end tally and was SO excited I had to share! So last year my resolution was to cut out  (as much as possible) online shopping. I did my year end count (I go by credit card  statement cutoff, which is about a week off, so my 2018 “ended” December 24).... I spent 38% less on impulsive shopping, just by reducing online shopping!! I mean I did still shop impulsively in store 😂 but I was more conscious and more importantly, more present in the moment. This has got me pumped for the no/low buy. I’m hoping to drop my 2019 number to 50% of 2018!

Congrats on your mindful spending in 2018 @cianni!!! I have my fingers crossed that you reach your 2019 goals!!! 

@sephoraaddict918 thank you!! I definitely will need this thread for support 😂 I’m so excited for all of us to reach our 2019 goals!

Congratulations @cianni! That is awesome. Good luck for 2019!

Thanks girl!! 💕 @faeriegirl

Congrats @cianni - that's major progress! Good luck in 2019.

Thanks girl! @ShortErica ❤️

I’m planning on starting my low/no buy January 1st. I am completely stocked up on skincare. I don’t need any more makeup. So I should definitely be able to make it until the April sale before I need to restock anything. 🤞

I was dying to use christmas gift cards so I too stocked up on my skincare. THis way I really should not run out of anything until at least the April sale and even then I will only buy necessities/ restock.

I am sooo ready to start a low/no buy year! I always said that if I could cut out impulse purchases, or things I bought but didn’t need, I’d be able to buy myself something really splurgey at the end of the year. So this year, I’m going to try it! I’m going to track how many months I can go without buying unnecessary items. I’m trying to do this in conjunction with the pan it challenge, but want to apply it to alll aspects of my life. I’ll be comparing visa statements from the same month last year to calculate how much I’ve saved by not purchasing unnecessary items. I’m a real sucker for sales but can say that I have made it through Boxing Day without a single purchase!! I’m ready for it!!

In a good place: I have really paired down my skincare, haircare, makeup and body care routines over the past few years. I pretty much just have what I use but I feel soooo much temptation to go off the rails!

I finally got my skin under control thanks to a YouTube skincare routine I saw actually by Sephora. I am pregnant (YAY!) and the Sephora pregnancy skincare routine video interested me as I know many products I cannot use when I am pregnant and I have always had on and off mildly problematic skin. I got samples of the products from the routine in this video back in October when I first saw it and loved them. I had about ten small blemishes and they cleared up in a week of using the free samples. I bought several of the products during the VIB Rouge 20% off sale and then received the rest as Christmas gifts. I am so happy with the routine I am not at all tempted to try anything new in this category.

I have also greatly paired down my makeup routine as I am only using pregnancy safe products. I have one mineral powder foundation, one blush (got it for Christmas as I actually used up my only blush last week!). The only thing I have more than one of in a category is lips where I have 4 lipsticks.

Moving forward: I plan to go out tomorrow for a free Sephora skin fit facial with purchase as I got several gift cards for Christmas. I made a shopping list of items I am low on and I am going to purchase those with my gift card. At first I was going to save them and use them as needed but I think it is best if I shop fewer times per year and plan ahead and stick to my list. I am hopeful that the products on my list to pick up tomorrow are all I need and that I do not run out of anything I am using until the usual 15% VIB Rouge spring sale usually in March/April.

No/Low Buy Goals: are to only replace what I have and stick to my current routine in all categories/areas of makeup/skincare, hair care and body care.

I plan to spend more time not watching YouTube or online browsing this year as those things only add to temptation. Instead I hope to spend my free time on the following...

Related goals: that I have are to focus on personal development and having the life/lifestyle I always wanted. I have a beautiful home I could tidy/clean more often. I would like to focus on reading more or listening to audiobooks. My local library has a free app with any/every book I would ever want to read available for free and I plan to use it way more this year! As I am pregnant, I have no weight loss or fitness goals (LOL!) and I am a healthy weight but once the baby has come (early May) I also plan to focus more on fitness 😉

I re-rouged this year. I didn’t think I would since I got a lot of makeup/skincare as gifts. I am not sure I am proud of this as it’s a lot of money spent. This year was one of the worst years of my life and I think I dealt with my problems by buying more stuff. My new year resolutions are as follows:

1. No makeup/skincare purchase for the next quarter at a minimum. I might just delete the app on my phone and logout everywhere to enforce things.

2. No clothes or other unnecessary purchase for the next quarter. I am allowed to purchase an anniversary gift for my husband. I am also allowed to purchase anything if I need it for an interview or some such necessity. 

3. Purchases are allowed in April (which is my birthday month). I don’t think I will be able to hold it together if I can’t buy things in my birthday month either.

4. Rinse and repeat for the rest of the year. Only buying replacements and not giving in to FOMO.

One month down and I'm doing pretty well except that my usual body cream had a change of formula (so now it smells a bit like coconut, which makes my husband gag) so I've had to hunt around a bit trying to find a suitable replacement option. This always sucks because of trying to balance effectiveness against eczema with budgeting (because I go through a  LOT) and something that doesn't smell repulsive on me (even supposedly unscented creams and lotions can smell gross sometimes). 

I haven't bought anything new for my face and have instead been trying out the things I already have, with mixed results. My favourite item is probably the Noni Radiant Eye Oil - which I much prefer to the Gold Rush Eye Balm - although I am still deciding whether I like it more than the Maracuja C-Brighter Eye Treatment. 

So tempted to purchasing crazy amounts of stuff that i really don't need.2019 is all about giving back.My goal for 2019 is to purchase for others and not myself.Instead do a kindness act a month to total strangers.Totally starting off with a woman's shelter where i once lived.
929 Replies
testing