Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

updated 12/31/19* The 2020 Thread is here 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Hey all!  Welcome to Year 5 of the No/Low Buy thread 😲

Since 2019 is LITERALLY around the corner so I figured it was time to get this thread started.  The 2018 thread can be located here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/2018-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILI...

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

The 2017 OP and link:

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler

Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@naturalooks15 yeah i'm with @ShortErica on this one, I usually look up the shelf life of the active ingredients in my skincare.  Realizing that they become less effective over time does help me to reduce skincare impulse buys.  It definitely stops me from purchasing backups of most things.  YMMV, since Vitamin C and retinols break down faster, but glycolic acid and niacinamide last much longer.  

@naturalooks15 my personality makes me feel very guilty if products go to waste. So with skincare, if active ingredients would go bad and I had to throw away a product, it kinda hurts. This year I've been tracking my uses as motivation. Knowing how long it takes to use products helps me not stock up. I don't have a problem with backups especially if I get something on sale but buying a product I won't get to for 8 months is pretty silly. How many of the same type of skincare do you have open at once? Maybe set it up as duel style with a couple open and compare each month. Then you have a new duel to look forward to when you use up a product. And you could have a 1 out, 1 in or 2 out, 1 in rule so you could buy new skincare. I hope you'll get lots of suggestions so you can find what works best for you!

Looks like you ladies have a pretty good system going here! 🙂  I think it's about time I start moseying on over to low-buy territory for the next while.  I've been good at squashing some lemmings this holiday season but not others....why are eyeshadow palettes so covetable??  One thing that's helped is I've FINALLY got my makeup collection more or less organized or at least easily accessible.....that simple thing has me naturally shopping my stash without even thinking about it, and then realizing how many untouched palettes I actually do have!  I then get this overwhelmed feeling that helps me not buy more eyeshadow.

Hope everyone's staying strong this holiday season!

My year November 2018 – October 2019 is complete! I think I’ll continue tracking for the next two months and set new goals for 2020. Yay! My only purchase this month was refills for SPF..and of course they haven’t arrived yet. But I’ll add them into the totals. Here’s how it all wrapped up:

Totals for my year (November 2018-October 2019):

Makeup (no buy) - $26.63

Spoiler
  • BareMinerals Mineral Veil Setting Powder x2
  • Bare Minerals Original Foundation – Fairly Ivory 02

Skincare (low buy) - $552.72

Spoiler
  • CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser
  • CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
  • CeraVe PM (2 pack)
  • CeraVe Baby Lotion
  • Nivea Sunprotect Water Gel SPF 50 PA+++
  • Dr. Teal's Epsom Salt - Soothe & Sleep - Lavender
  • Dr. Teal's Epsom Salt - Restore & Replenish - Pink Himalayan
  • Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Jelly
  • Mediheal Mask Pack (10)
  • Biore Pore Strips
  • Australian Gold Botanical Tinted Sunscreen SPF 50
  • Garnier Micellar Water
  • Ulta Sea Kelp Sheet Mask
  • CVS Honey Dew and Chamomile Overnight Cream Facial Mask
  • Skyn Iceland Eye Gels 8 pack x2
  • Dr. Teal’s Epsom Salt - Shea Butter and Almond Oil
  • Cotton squares
  • Vichy Mineral 89 x2
  • Yadah aloe mask (10 pack)
  • Yadah collagen mask (10 pack)
  • Yadah rose mask (10 pack)
  • Look At Me Hydrogel Eye Patch – Green Tea (5 pairs)
  • esfolio Foot & Heel Peeling Mask
  • Ariul 7 Days Mask – Tea Tree (10 pack)
  • Crop Brightening Sheet Mask (5 pack)
  • Holika Holika – Damask Rose (10 pack)
  • Holika Holika – 100% Aloe (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino AC-Free (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino Lifting (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino Moisture (10 pack)
  • Rata & Co. – Replenishing Coconut and Seaweed (5 pack)
  • Oozoo Bear – Aurora Illuminating (5 pack)
  • Oozoo Bear – Black Space Pore Caring (5 pack)
  • Oozoo Bear – Water-Bang Hydrating (5 pack)
  • Yadah – Pore Care (12 pack)
  • Bawdy Butt Mask – Squeeze It
  • Look At Me Hydrogel Eye Patch – Aloe Vera(5 pairs)
  • Yadah Cleansing nose pack
  • Holika Holika – Lemon (10 pack)
  • JJ Young – Pore Rosehip Mud Sheet Mask (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino Clearing (10 pack)
  • the Crème shop – Tumeric (5 pack)
  • Erno Laszlo – Firm & Lift 2 Step Mask x2
  • Erno Laszlo – Lighten & Brighten 2 Step Mask
  • Erno Laszlo Exfoliating & Detoxifying Cleansing Oil
  • Lazy&Easy all kill cleanser x 2
  • Look At Me Hydrogel Eye Patch – Aloe Vera (5 pairs)
  • by nature Acai Berry Sheet Mask (5 pack)
  • Candy O’Lady Honey Milk Mask (10 pack)
  • Candy O’Lady Mellow Cotton Candy Mask (10 pack)
  • LookAtMe Aloe Vera (10 pack)
  • LookAtMe Snail + Green Tea (10 pack)
  • LookAtMe Watermelon (10 pack)
  • Yadah Brightening Jelly mask (5 pack) x2
  • Frudia – Pore Control – Green Grape (5 pack)
  • Holika Holika – Avocado (10 pack)
  • Holika Holika – Cucumber (10 pack)
  • Yadah collagen mask pack (10 pack)
  • Yadah moisturizing mask pack (10 pack)
  • CeraVe PM
  • The INKEY List – Caffeine Eye Cream
  • The INKEY List – Hyaluronic Acid Serum
  • Nivea Water Protect Gel SPF 50 PA++ refills x2

Haircare (low buy/smart buy) - $244.65

Spoiler
  • John Frieda Leave-In Conditioner Spray
  • John Frieda Curl Styling Spray
  • DevaCurl Wave Maker
  • DevaCurl Light Defining Gel
  • DevaCurl SuperCream
  • DevaCurl B'Leave-In
  • No Poo 32 oz
  • One Condition 32 oz
  • One Condition 12 oz
  • Coconut Supercream Deluxe Sample
  • Decadence Shampoo/Conditioner Sample Packets
  • Ouidad Climate Control Styling
  • DevaCurl B’Leave-in Gel

How crazy that the total of it all is $824.00?! Really an even dollar amount! So approximately $70 a month. I am not upset about my spending but probably should rein it in because of anticipated big purchases next year. Aim for $50 possibly? I’ll be curious how the next two months go. I know I need micellar water and I’ll finish my moisturizer but I’m wondering if I can make it with no other purchases. We’ll see! And then I'll be looking for the 2020 thread. 🙂

I've got to do my totals for October but my makeup no-buy is over today! Here's my recap of what happened and what I've learned:

• Makeup is not my weak spot for purchasing though I broke the no buy twice.
  • First time was for setting powder during Ulta's 21 days. I am finishing up my setting powder now (will be gone by next week) so technically I could have waited to purchase. But 50% off and something I will use makes me not feel bad about breaking it.
  • Second time was for foundation. Again, I don't feel bad. I finished all my face base products by the last month of my no buy so if I didn't buy it (with Ulta point except $1), then I would have nothing. I guess nothing is doable but I've been trying to have a professional appearance and wear makeup more regularly at work. Worthwhile breaking of the no buy.
  • Blush lasts forever. Trying to do a rotating project pan proved I don't need new blush until what I have goes bad.
  • Mini mascaras are cool but I still have a million of them. 2 years ago I bought two lash stash kits. I am using the last mascara from the kit now but I have minis from a bunch of other sources.
  • Despite doing the Fe-Brow-ary thread, I only used my brow gel 30 times this year. I used to want to splurge on a fancy brow product but based on how often I would apply one, I think I should stick with drugstore and spend money on other items.
  • For how often I use lip products, I think my spending in this category should be small. One day I'll hunt for my perfect lip product but should use what I have. I mean, I'm going to be lucky if I completely finish one mini lip product this year.
  • I've confirmed blush and mascaras are my favorite make up items. With my current stash, I'm not itching to buy new things. Maybe find a new base product in the future.
  • I feel better satisfied to use up products and would prefer a more tailored collection.
  • From the above two statements and some of the other points I included, I think I will continue the makeup no buy with some exceptions for the rest of this year and 2020.

I can't wait to calculate my final spend from November 2018 - October 2019 in all the categories. I'll update soon!

It's that time again... This month was a mixed bag.

My Life story:

Spoiler

I got my PMG palette at my local sephora's grand re-opening and it was a ton of fun. I returned something I'd gotten the month before that was too similar to something I already had so my net spend against my budget was $0 (I don't count cash in my budget, only my regular paychecks and credit expenses). I finally recaptured the joy that comes from getting something I truly want without having to think about how it will fit in my budget. That was a big plus. I spent nothing on clothing, as I've been getting better at keeping in mind what I already own- also a big step forward. 

However, I spent a lot of my tip money early in the month on stocking up for winter- expensive cleaning supplies, allergy medicine, paper products, etc. to prepare for holiday gift budgeting when I'll have less income. Because of that, I was less able to cover some other things that came up later in the month. I went to a play with some friends and I spent $90 on a yoga class package since my local studio was having a sale. I don't regret the expenses, but it meant I didn't meet my goals. 

The results:

I made a $482 dent when the dust cleared, but it's annoying to think I could have made my goal if the PMG sale hadn't gotten the better of me even with the play and the yoga classes. However, some side projects I'm working on- namely a closet clear-out and a pantry clear-out are yielding some items I can sell and a ton of grocery savings so I'm hoping to do at least as well in October.

Rationally broke my makeup no buy because I have no foundation minus two samples I will use before the end of the month. Only spent $1.07 out of pocket because of Ulta points. Did fine in the other categories too in my opinion. Hopefully everyone else had a good September!

Totals for September 2019:

Makeup (no buy) - $1.07

• Bare Minerals Original Foundation – Fairly Ivory 02

Skincare (low buy) - $26.84

• CeraVe PM
  • The INKEY List – Caffeine Eye Cream
  • The INKEY List – Hyaluronic Acid Serum

Haircare (low buy) - $37.28

• DevaCurl B’Leave-in Gel

Totals for my year (November 2018-October 2019) to date:

Makeup (no buy) - $26.63

Spoiler

Prior purchases

• BareMinerals Mineral Veil Setting Powder x2

Skincare (low buy) - $533.76

Spoiler

Prior purchases

• CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser
  • CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
  • CeraVe PM (2 pack)
  • CeraVe Baby Lotion
  • Nivea Sunprotect Water Gel SPF 50 PA+++
  • Dr. Teal's Epsom Salt - Soothe & Sleep - Lavender
  • Dr. Teal's Epsom Salt - Restore & Replenish - Pink Himalayan
  • Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Jelly
  • Mediheal Mask Pack (10)
  • Biore Pore Strips
  • Garnier Micellar Water
  • Ulta Sea Kelp Sheet Mask
  • CVS Honey Dew and Chamomile Overnight Cream Facial Mask
  • Skyn Iceland Eye Gels 8 pack x2
  • Dr. Teal’s Epsom Salt - Shea Butter and Almond Oil
  • Cotton squares
  • Vichy Mineral 89 x2
  • Yadah collagen mask (10 pack)
  • Yadah rose mask (10 pack)
  • Look At Me Hydrogel Eye Patch – Green Tea (5 pairs)
  • esfolio Foot & Heel Peeling Mask
  • Ariul 7 Days Mask – Tea Tree (10 pack)
  • Crop Brightening Sheet Mask (5 pack)
  • Holika Holika – Damask Rose (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino AC-Free (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino Lifting (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino Moisture (10 pack)
  • Rata & Co. – Replenishing Coconut and Seaweed (5 pack)
  • Oozoo Bear – Aurora Illuminating (5 pack)
  • Oozoo Bear – Black Space Pore Caring (5 pack)
  • Oozoo Bear – Water-Bang Hydrating (5 pack)
  • Yadah – Pore Care (12 pack)
  • Bawdy Butt Mask – Squeeze It
  • Look At Me Hydrogel Eye Patch – Aloe Vera(5 pairs)
  • Yadah Cleansing nose pack
  • Holika Holika – Lemon (10 pack)
  • JJ Young – Pore Rosehip Mud Sheet Mask (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino Clearing (10 pack)
  • the Crème shop – Tumeric (5 pack)
  • Erno Laszlo – Firm & Lift 2 Step Mask x2
  • Erno Laszlo – Lighten & Brighten 2 Step Mask
  • Erno Laszlo Exfoliating & Detoxifying Cleansing Oil
  • Lazy&Easy all kill cleanser x 2
  • Look At Me Hydrogel Eye Patch – Aloe Vera (5 pairs)
  • by nature Acai Berry Sheet Mask (5 pack)
  • Candy O’Lady Honey Milk Mask (10 pack)
  • Candy O’Lady Mellow Cotton Candy Mask (10 pack)
  • LookAtMe Aloe Vera (10 pack)
  • LookAtMe Snail + Green Tea (10 pack)
  • LookAtMe Watermelon (10 pack)
  • Yadah Brightening Jelly mask (5 pack) x2
  • Frudia – Pore Control – Green Grape (5 pack)
  • Holika Holika – Avocado (10 pack)
  • Holika Holika – Cucumber (10 pack)
  • Yadah collagen mask pack (10 pack)
  • Yadah moisturizing mask pack (10 pack)

Haircare (low buy/smart buy) - $244.65

Spoiler

Prior purchases

• John Frieda Leave-In Conditioner Spray
  • John Frieda Curl Styling Spray
  • DevaCurl Wave Maker
  • DevaCurl Light Defining Gel
  • DevaCurl SuperCream
  • DevaCurl B'Leave-In
  • No Poo 32 oz
  • One Condition 32 oz
  • One Condition 12 oz
  • Coconut Supercream Deluxe Sample
  • Decadence Shampoo/Conditioner Sample Packets
  • Ouidad Climate Control Styling

Last month of my no buy and then I’ll probably be low buy for the rest of the year though I honestly can't think of makeup I need. Then I want to set new goals for 2020.

I guess it's mine time to join this thread! How do you keep yourself in "no buy" mode with these amazing new launches? I have several eyeshadow palettes but I want the Metropolis from ND, and Pat's new Mothership palette...

the only thing that stops me is the price tag of over $100 for now lol

I’m resisting all the new releases now as well, and here are my reasons:

1) new is tempting, but I don’t need any new products until I go through what I already own

2) new is also a marketing strategy. I like to play a game that I’m “above” the strategists by not giving into temptation!

3) it’s more fun to receive holiday sets when you know, it’s actually holiday season. It’s not even close to November yet, and I make a mental note to resist these purchases until then

4) there will most likely be a sale on these items or other GWP during or after the holidays

Do you have shades that are similar in the palettes you currently own? Have you tried doing a project pan so you are motivated to use the eyeshadows you currently own? Is there some other purchase/goal you could use the $100 for? There are many ways to inspire yourself @sunkissedblush. You have to find what makes you tick and set goals that way. What is your reason for wanting to do a no buy? It is helpful to set specific rules for your no buy to help you stick to it. You can do it.

Thanks for your reply, @ShortErica !

Do you have shades that are similar in the palettes you currently own?
 - I believe so! but they are still different in a certain way. There is always at least one shade that you want to own out of the whole palette.

Have you tried doing a project pan so you are motivated to use the eyeshadows you currently own? - I'm so bad in eyeshadow project pans. It does work with other types of beauty products, but not with the eyeshadows and bronzers/blushes. Also, I have this crazy idea that I love and hate at the same time to have a "collection" of makeup. 
Is there some other purchase/goal you could use the $100 for? - that's a good question. this is what can actually help!
What is your reason for wanting to do a no-buy? - the only reason for a no-buy is the money spent on things that are later stashed somewhere without being used and are just taking space.

This is helpful @sunkissedblush. Seeing how you're thinking my suggestion would be to have a jar. Anytime you want to buy something put a sticky note attached to the money it would cost in the jar. If you still want to buy it in (set some time frame for yourself) then buy it but otherwise you're saving money for something else. You could decorate the jar with whatever big savings goal you want to accomplish.

It could also help to count up the money spent on items that you have bought an stashed away. That could give you an idea of the potential money you could save by delaying purchases and only buying what you truly want. Good luck!

Makeup no buy, do I break you again?

So I have a low buy in other categories but a no buy for makeup (Nov 2018 - Oct 2019). Practically one month to go. Here's my dilemma: I have 750ish points at Ulta worth $30. Part of it expires September 30. I don't want to lose my points but I have no need to buy skincare or haircare. The only thing I "need" is foundation. I have two samples left and that's it. I could make the samples last for the month and buy foundation in November. Or I could just use my points to buy it now in case I run out and also so I don't lose points. Thoughts? The no buy is simply in place because I wanted to use things up vs. needing to save money. Not sure if that adds anything to the discussion. Thanks!

use your points, sister. hang on to it and if your sample...

use your points, sister. hang on to it and if your samples run out, then use it. if not then I would say donate it. unless of course your financial situation is total crap like mine; then keep it.

You need a foundation right away, so the practical and responsible thing to do would be to use your points and spend $1 to buy your foundation now.  That's better than letting the points expire and then spending $30 on a foundation later! Spending $1 or spending $30 on the thing you most definitely use is a no brainer.  @ShortErica 

A no-buy or low-buy is all about being more sensible about financial management. For some people that means not spending money when they can't afford it, for others (and it sounds as if you are in this group) it means spending money in a responsible way and being a responsible consumer.  Part of that is not spending on things that you already have and thus not adding to the ridiculous amount of stuff that most of us (me included) have.

At the moment, you don't have foundation and so you have, for this particular item, achieved your goal. You also have $30 that will disappear in a short time.

To me the responsible consumer decision would be to use your gift card to get the foundation rather than "wasting" it on something you don't need.

If you feel torn about it, get the foundation but donate a portion of the $30 to a food bank or some other worthy charity. If you really, really don't want to break your no-buy, then wait, but buy something with the gift card and donate it to a women's shelter rather than just adding something useless to your own pile of "stuff".

Just my 2 cents worth!

And kudos to you for doing so well on your challenge and for the serious way you are looking at this problem!!

Thanks so much for all of your thoughts @elthom. This was a great way to break it all down and I appreciate it!

I don't see anything wrong with using those points for the foundation that you were going to buy in November since they are about to expire soon @ShortErica. With $30 worth of points and depending on the brand you buy, the foundation could be practically free.

@ShortErica, buy the foundation! We need to be practical about our goals and adjust when needed. And this is definitely one of those times.  Still, it’s a good conversation to have and in general, being thoughtful about purchases can only help.  

@ShortErica If it's only a dollar, then buy it!! I would say that is responsible consumerism!! And enjoy your bargain 🙂

929 Replies
testing