Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

updated 12/31/19* The 2020 Thread is here 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Hey all!  Welcome to Year 5 of the No/Low Buy thread 😲

Since 2019 is LITERALLY around the corner so I figured it was time to get this thread started.  The 2018 thread can be located here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/2018-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILI...

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

The 2017 OP and link:

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler

Re: RE: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Great job @KehDee!

RE: Re: RE: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Thank you @faeriegirl 💕 it’s hard work lol

Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

All I’m gonna say is, it’s been a rough year, which translates to a bit of spendy year in comparison to the last few. I added some makeup to my collection as well as decluttered. I’m still getting rid of unused makeup, thankfully xmas is here so I can gift some really nice things. But the bulk of my what I would call overspending has been clothes and shoes, I needed to replace two pairs of riding boots (I avoided it for two years, it was time). I’m really feeling the purchases all at once on my wallet but still excited to have those wardrobe staples again. I need to do some introspection and evaluating of my wardrobe. I think it’s time to declutter and reorganize, and maybe retire the things I’m really not wearing. I also need to think about my goals and more concretely map out how to reach them in two years which is the deadline I had set for myself. 

Hope you’re all doing well and enjoying the holiday season!

I love being able to gift extra beauty to good homes @lnum ! Best of all worlds. We don't spend and they get a great gift that we feel good about giving. I'm excited to see everyones goals for next year when the new thread starts. 

This last month my only purchase was replacing my moisturizer. I found out the hard way that my CVS apparently carries 2oz CeraVe PM. I thought I was getting a killer deal but it's because of the size difference and getting an ounce less. Oh well! Spent $7.71.

Totals for my extended year (November 2018-November 2019):

Makeup (no buy) - $26.63

Spoiler
  • BareMinerals Mineral Veil Setting Powder x2
  • Bare Minerals Original Foundation – Fairly Ivory 02

Skincare (low buy) - $560.43

Spoiler
  • CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser
  • CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
  • CeraVe PM (2 pack)
  • CeraVe Baby Lotion
  • Nivea Sunprotect Water Gel SPF 50 PA+++
  • Dr. Teal's Epsom Salt - Soothe & Sleep - Lavender
  • Dr. Teal's Epsom Salt - Restore & Replenish - Pink Himalayan
  • Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Jelly
  • Mediheal Mask Pack (10)
  • Biore Pore Strips
  • Australian Gold Botanical Tinted Sunscreen SPF 50
  • Garnier Micellar Water
  • Ulta Sea Kelp Sheet Mask
  • CVS Honey Dew and Chamomile Overnight Cream Facial Mask
  • Skyn Iceland Eye Gels 8 pack x2
  • Dr. Teal’s Epsom Salt - Shea Butter and Almond Oil
  • Cotton squares
  • Vichy Mineral 89 x2
  • Yadah aloe mask (10 pack)
  • Yadah collagen mask (10 pack)
  • Yadah rose mask (10 pack)
  • Look At Me Hydrogel Eye Patch – Green Tea (5 pairs)
  • esfolio Foot & Heel Peeling Mask
  • Ariul 7 Days Mask – Tea Tree (10 pack)
  • Crop Brightening Sheet Mask (5 pack)
  • Holika Holika – Damask Rose (10 pack)
  • Holika Holika – 100% Aloe (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino AC-Free (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino Lifting (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino Moisture (10 pack)
  • Rata & Co. – Replenishing Coconut and Seaweed (5 pack)
  • Oozoo Bear – Aurora Illuminating (5 pack)
  • Oozoo Bear – Black Space Pore Caring (5 pack)
  • Oozoo Bear – Water-Bang Hydrating (5 pack)
  • Yadah – Pore Care (12 pack)
  • Bawdy Butt Mask – Squeeze It
  • Australian Gold Botanical Tinted Sunscreen SPF 50
  • Look At Me Hydrogel Eye Patch – Aloe Vera(5 pairs)
  • Yadah Cleansing nose pack
  • Holika Holika – Lemon (10 pack)
  • JJ Young – Pore Rosehip Mud Sheet Mask (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino Clearing (10 pack)
  • the Crème shop – Tumeric (5 pack)
  • Yadah aloe mask (10 pack)
  • Erno Laszlo – Firm & Lift 2 Step Mask x2
  • Erno Laszlo – Lighten & Brighten 2 Step Mask
  • Erno Laszlo Exfoliating & Detoxifying Cleansing Oil
  • Lazy&Easy all kill cleanser x 2
  • Look At Me Hydrogel Eye Patch – Aloe Vera (5 pairs)
  • by nature Acai Berry Sheet Mask (5 pack)
  • Candy O’Lady Honey Milk Mask (10 pack)
  • Candy O’Lady Mellow Cotton Candy Mask (10 pack)
  • LookAtMe Aloe Vera (10 pack)
  • LookAtMe Snail + Green Tea (10 pack)
  • LookAtMe Watermelon (10 pack)
  • Yadah Brightening Jelly mask (5 pack) x2
  • Frudia – Pore Control – Green Grape (5 pack)
  • Holika Holika – Avocado (10 pack)
  • Holika Holika – Cucumber (10 pack)
  • Holika Holika – 100% Aloe (10 pack)
  • Yadah collagen mask pack (10 pack)
  • Yadah moisturizing mask pack (10 pack)
  • CeraVe PM
  • The INKEY List – Caffeine Eye Cream
  • The INKEY List – Hyaluronic Acid Serum
  • Nivea Water Protect Gel SPF 50 PA++ refills x2
  • CeraVe PM 2oz

Haircare (low buy/smart buy) - $244.65

Spoiler
  • John Frieda Leave-In Conditioner Spray
  • John Frieda Curl Styling Spray
  • DevaCurl Wave Maker
  • DevaCurl Light Defining Gel
  • DevaCurl SuperCream
  • DevaCurl B'Leave-In
  • No Poo 32 oz
  • One Condition 32 oz
  • One Condition 12 oz
  • Coconut Supercream Deluxe Sample
  • Decadence Shampoo/Conditioner Sample Packets
  • Ouidad Climate Control Styling
  • DevaCurl B’Leave-in Gel

I held out on picking up micellar water. Most likely I'll buy one this month. Currently I'm using some makeup wipes but I try to use them on occasion as I feel I'm not gentle enough with my skin. I want to try micellar water with my reusable pads as my standard (aiming for less waste) or *fingers crossed* I'll find a great oil cleanser that I don't need to double-check has removed everything. I'm already planning my goals for 2020. 🙂

RE: Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Great job @ShortErica!

Re: RE: Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Thank you @KehDee!

@ShortErica Super impressed by your willpower to resist all the sales and stick to your goals!

Thanks @lnum. I'm the financial person in my house and next year we are selling our townhome and moving to a single family home. I want to make our new mortgage as low as possible with a big downpayment. That helps with motivation.

@ShortErica Cerave is doing a promo right now on their website that if you fill out a form, you get an up to $4 off coupon.

Good to know! I don't think the 2oz moisturizer will last me very long so I'll definitely need another one soon. Thanks @greeneyedgirl107!

@ShortErica I just saw that Dermstore carries CeraVe.  Who knew?!  I know you aren't in the market quite yet, but they are having a 30% off sale and (I think) double points.  Are you familiar with Dermstore?  You can write five reviews a month and that equals $5 off.  Free shipping and free samples.  I've been mad about that site recently!

I have not @greeneyedgirl107. I've been rocking 40% off CVS coupons for CeraVe but 30% off plus earning money sounds good too! And free samples! I'm checking it out. Thanks!

@ShortErica  CeraVe AM I saw on sale in Ulta.

I was checking it for my tween. I am looking for a SPF moisturizer for my daughter since I have lost the battle to get her to use sunscreen on it's own, she just hates it 😞 So any suggestions of non-stick sunscreen or a moisturizer with sunscreen are also welcome. 

@naturalooks15 Nivea Sun Protect Super Water Gel SPF 50/PA+++ (Face & Body)Pump Type 140 g - found on Amazon - is the most cosmetically pleasing sunscreen I've used. On its own it isn't shiny but it isn't matte. It isn't mineral only though. I know some people like the Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Gel but the Nivea is less expensive.

I have used a sample of CeraVe AM. It didn't leave a cast on me (I'm pretty pale) but I remember not loving it. I also like having sunscreen separate from moisturizer though. It could be worth a try for your daughter though if she prefers one product.

I'll add I use the Nivea as a daily sunscreen but choose something more robust if I'm doing outdoor activities.

@ShortErica  Thanks. I'll look into Nivea but Yes, I'll probably look for physical sunscreen only. I had a bad experience with Nutregena once, put it on us & kids and went to the beach. Generally we all get very tan but that time had pretty bad burns on couple of places which were exposed for too long (shoulders and chin). 

I use a separate sunscreen but she is 12 so quickest works better but if it's something non-sticky, I might be able to persuade her to use separately. 

@naturalooks15 I'm still on the hunt for a physical sunscreen that works for me as a good daily sunscreen with or without makeup. I'll find it someday!

Need to stay focused with all these sales going around. Though not officially recording it here but I have spend way less this year. Last year I had rouged three time over and this year haven’t yet renewed my rouge.

i have filled my cart at 2-3 different places but haven’t pulled the plug. Just reminding myself of similar items sitting at home and that I need to use them up first. 
delayed looking at PMG lip pie sale so now everything is sold out, yay !! Cart sitting full at Timeless skincare and urban outfitter 😐 resisted so far.

maybe officially joining a pan project will help. How do you all motivate yourself to use up things at home and avoid the temptation of trying new shinier things?? It’s somehow harder for me to do this for skincare items. 
I can manage to control the temptation for make-up pretty well.

@drrragon  @ShortErica  Thanks for the responses. Duo system sounds like a good idea so that I rotate through and also feel like I can get benefits of new ingredients plus some newness. I should probably inventory it and that will help me

see clearly how much of products do I have in each category and deter me. Currently it's stashed in multiple places (I don't keep things in bathroom other than what I am currently using) so I don't think I realize how much do I have. I mean I know but I don't realize YKWIM. 

I bought a lot of DE in last sale plus recent sale and  now I still have actives from there (new & sealed though so good for another year as per DE) but now I want to try other things as I figured out combo of different brands is working better for me rather than just having every single product from DE. Though I still use a lot of DE everyday and like it but have now figured out that certain products don't work for me as well. 

@ShortErica  what do you use to track inventory and usage? Do you mind sharing?

@naturalooks15 For usage, I have a notebook next to my products. Because I can generally remember what I use in a day, I wait and tally what I've used once at night before bed. Depending on how many products you have, you could always mark as you use it but that's more tedious in my opinion.

I have a spreadsheet of inventory. It was a process to create it but it's really nice now that it's done. Categories I include are:

• Product category
  • Product brand
  • Product name
  • Product size
  • Price (I also have notes if I purchased on sale)
  • Purchase date
  • Start date
  • End date
  • Uses - I don't edit this field until I've finished the product
  • Notes - what I like/dislike and whether to repurchase

I would recommend starting with a couple categories as you organize. Like one night find all your toners, essences, and serums and put them in a spreadsheet and then find a place for them. Another time round up all your moisturizers and eye creams. Then you'll do a bit at a time but not feel overwhelmed.

I remember watching a YouTuber say she has a google spreadsheet and when she uses products she will just go into the app and change her number of uses. So that's another option for tracking.

That would be great to use the different DE products from categories with different brands. I can picture that as a great strategy to remember to put a new DE item in once you use one up while also trying combinations with other products.

Thank you. I just started something which is similar so I'll incorporate your suggestions. I definitely would track sale or %off I got because that is how I justify the purchase and actually that is how I keep things in check. If I let myself buy things on full price then there will be way too many impulse purchases. I make myself wait for a sale or coupon that gives me time to research it well and also sometimes loose the urge to buy those or more people have used/shared opinion. 

I don't think I would want to overwhelm myself and track every usage for now. Will see how it goes and nightly once update may work. Though I did have a weekly page in my bathroom when I was just starting with Retinol (and got raw skin, learnt quickly :LOL) to track my Retinol days/ journey so maybe I'll do something similar to track Retinol/ BHA/AHA pattern. Rest everything I use daily, just mix-match based on how my skin is feeling (Vit C daily, mix B-Hydra, Lala, Protini, Marula & Squalane as I go). 

I'll probably share here once I have each category accounted for. 

945 Replies
testing