Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

updated 12/31/19* The 2020 Thread is here 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Hey all!  Welcome to Year 5 of the No/Low Buy thread 😲

Since 2019 is LITERALLY around the corner so I figured it was time to get this thread started.  The 2018 thread can be located here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/2018-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILI...

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

The 2017 OP and link:

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler

RE: Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Good job @faeriegirl!

Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

If I read correctly you made 3 purchases two weeks ago and just 1 since not including the small in store ones @faeriegirl? That seems like a great way to complete the 2nd half and month as a whole.

I forgot about the Ipsy mask order @ShortErica🤦‍♀️ But yes I did a lot better for the second half of the month. 

@faeriegirl  you’re doing great and as long as there’s an improvement in your buying habits overall you’re still ahead;). 

Thank you @heartsmyface!😊

You did well @faeriegirl. I try to pick up on a thread where I left off and apparently missed your comment from a few weeks ago so both were just viewed. No face palm. I think from May, you've made big strides right? Be proud!

Thank you @ShortErica!

Sooooo ... I have renewed my Diamond status at Ulta through 2020, but I actually don't feel guilty about reaching it this early in the year. With the help of this thread, I have actually done a decent job of not buying things just because they look pretty and sparkly or just because of a sale. Also, I have been cashing in a lot of my points from taking surveys for Ulta and Sephora gift cards, so that helped me buy lots of goodies and get to Diamond (and mostly likely Rouge) status even faster without breaking the bank!! 

Nice!  Shopping awareness is a main goal of mine as well.  It’s good you’re taking advantage of deals and doing more conscientious buying 🙂 

Points and gift cards are the way to go. Congrats @sephoraaddict918!

Nice job @sephoraaddict918!

Nicely done @sephoraaddict918 

Congratulations @sephoraaddict918. You made your status p...

Congratulations @sephoraaddict918. You made your status purposeful while being resourceful! I agree the Sephora new perks such as giftcard rewards have made spending more purposeful and less costly for me as well.

After being great in the first quarter of the year, then having a rough April and May, I challenged myself to a NO beauty buy for June. It’s a few days premature but thus far,.. i haven’t purchased a single beauty, haircare or skincare item! I was picking up a few things a week in my worst month of this year, so this is pretty exciting! Now I have other things to cut back on, but I realized it was too hard to just say no/low buy for all categories of purchases (clothes, shoes, beauty and skincare, fragrance, home decor etc). I do better when I add things in one at a time. Next month I’ll try to continue my no beauty or skincare buy, but add in a no clothing buy and see how it goes!

I had a rough May too @cianni. Glad this month was better for you. Congrats on the no beauty buy. I know you'll survive the next couple days and complete the month strong.

@ShortErica thank you! I managed to make it through 😂 I don’t what it was about May!! Hope everything is back on track for you too💕

I’ll be a bit late posting @cianni but I think I’m at ~$50 for masks (skincare) but no makeup and no hair care. I’ll be curious what the exact total is. Glad you are back on track. There have just been so many mask options at Marshall’s and I can’t resist some really good deals. But much better than May.

Right!! @ShortErica the sheet mask game has been upped at my local stores too. I have had to make a conscious decision to avoid the store on “restock” day 🤦🏽‍♀️ I always wonder where the stock comes from because stores across the US and Canada seem to have similar trends as to what’s available 

Yep. That's why the updating survey with brands in the stores will be so helpful. Hopefully we have mindful purchases with the help of everyone's insights @cianni 

Way to go @cianni!

Being able to recommit after a difficult time is a HUGE deal @cianni that takes a lot of will power to flip the switch. Brava! 

929 Replies
testing