Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

updated 12/31/19* The 2020 Thread is here 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Hey all!  Welcome to Year 5 of the No/Low Buy thread 😲

Since 2019 is LITERALLY around the corner so I figured it was time to get this thread started.  The 2018 thread can be located here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/2018-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILI...

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

The 2017 OP and link:

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler

Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I did really good this year! I didn't even VIB. 

@ElleElleG @CC3616 Thank you!! Hopefully in a month or two I'll finally be able to get internet haha.

Whaaaa-, go @Samtian that's awesome!!

Awesome @Samtian, and glad to see you back around!

For the final month of 2019 I spent $12.61. I rocked some CVS coupons to get 2 CeraVe baby lotions and then picked up the micellar water I held out on buying last month.

Totals for my extended year (November 2018-December 2019):

Makeup (no buy) - $26.63

Spoiler
  • BareMinerals Mineral Veil Setting Powder x2
  • Bare Minerals Original Foundation – Fairly Ivory 02

Skincare (low buy) - $573.04

Spoiler
  • CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser
  • CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
  • CeraVe PM (2 pack)
  • CeraVe Baby Lotion
  • Nivea Sunprotect Water Gel SPF 50 PA+++
  • Dr. Teal's Epsom Salt - Soothe & Sleep - Lavender
  • Dr. Teal's Epsom Salt - Restore & Replenish - Pink Himalayan
  • Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Jelly
  • Mediheal Mask Pack (10)
  • Biore Pore Strips
  • Australian Gold Botanical Tinted Sunscreen SPF 50
  • Garnier Micellar Water
  • Ulta Sea Kelp Sheet Mask
  • CVS Honey Dew and Chamomile Overnight Cream Facial Mask
  • Skyn Iceland Eye Gels 8 pack x2
  • Dr. Teal’s Epsom Salt - Shea Butter and Almond Oil
  • Cotton squares
  • Vichy Mineral 89 x2
  • Yadah aloe mask (10 pack)
  • Yadah collagen mask (10 pack)
  • Yadah rose mask (10 pack)
  • Look At Me Hydrogel Eye Patch – Green Tea (5 pairs)
  • esfolio Foot & Heel Peeling Mask
  • Ariul 7 Days Mask – Tea Tree (10 pack)
  • Crop Brightening Sheet Mask (5 pack)
  • Holika Holika – Damask Rose (10 pack)
  • Holika Holika – 100% Aloe (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino AC-Free (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino Lifting (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino Moisture (10 pack)
  • Rata & Co. – Replenishing Coconut and Seaweed (5 pack)
  • Oozoo Bear – Aurora Illuminating (5 pack)
  • Oozoo Bear – Black Space Pore Caring (5 pack)
  • Oozoo Bear – Water-Bang Hydrating (5 pack)
  • Yadah – Pore Care (12 pack)
  • Bawdy Butt Mask – Squeeze It
  • Australian Gold Botanical Tinted Sunscreen SPF 50
  • Look At Me Hydrogel Eye Patch – Aloe Vera(5 pairs)
  • Yadah Cleansing nose pack
  • Holika Holika – Lemon (10 pack)
  • JJ Young – Pore Rosehip Mud Sheet Mask (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino Clearing (10 pack)
  • the Crème shop – Tumeric (5 pack)
  • Yadah aloe mask (10 pack)
  • Erno Laszlo – Firm & Lift 2 Step Mask x2
  • Erno Laszlo – Lighten & Brighten 2 Step Mask
  • Erno Laszlo Exfoliating & Detoxifying Cleansing Oil
  • Lazy&Easy all kill cleanser x 2
  • Look At Me Hydrogel Eye Patch – Aloe Vera (5 pairs)
  • by nature Acai Berry Sheet Mask (5 pack)
  • Candy O’Lady Honey Milk Mask (10 pack)
  • Candy O’Lady Mellow Cotton Candy Mask (10 pack)
  • LookAtMe Aloe Vera (10 pack)
  • LookAtMe Snail + Green Tea (10 pack)
  • LookAtMe Watermelon (10 pack)
  • Yadah Brightening Jelly mask (5 pack) x2
  • Frudia – Pore Control – Green Grape (5 pack)
  • Holika Holika – Avocado (10 pack)
  • Holika Holika – Cucumber (10 pack)
  • Holika Holika – 100% Aloe (10 pack)
  • Yadah collagen mask pack (10 pack)
  • Yadah moisturizing mask pack (10 pack)
  • CeraVe PM
  • The INKEY List – Caffeine Eye Cream
  • The INKEY List – Hyaluronic Acid Serum
  • Nivea Water Protect Gel SPF 50 PA++ refills x2
  • CeraVe PM 2oz
  • CeraVe Baby Lotion x2
  • Garnier Micellar Water

Haircare (low buy/smart buy) - $244.65

Spoiler
  • John Frieda Leave-In Conditioner Spray
  • John Frieda Curl Styling Spray
  • DevaCurl Wave Maker
  • DevaCurl Light Defining Gel
  • DevaCurl SuperCream
  • DevaCurl B'Leave-In
  • No Poo 32 oz
  • One Condition 32 oz
  • One Condition 12 oz
  • Coconut Supercream Deluxe Sample
  • Decadence Shampoo/Conditioner Sample Packets
  • Ouidad Climate Control Styling
  • DevaCurl B’Leave-in Gel

It's been a decent 2019 + 2 months of 2018. Happy New Year!

Hi all, I will have the 2020 thread up tonight!!

You're the best @ElleElleG! I'm so excited to have this group to hold me accountable to my 2020 goals.

I want to be able to say I spent less on beauty products this year than in previous years, but afraid to add up the numbers in case it was actually more.  I was able to mostly avoid blush/bronzer/highlight products and passed up a lot of eyeshadow palettes (although I still purchased more than I should have).  The last few months of the year I was really good at only allowing myself a few color cosmetics and only at steep discounts (like the ND 2-for-1).

Organizing (most of) my collection and clearly identifying gaps has helped a lot with impulse buys.  Also I now have this system where I'll put a bunch of stuff that I really want in a shopping cart, then close the cart and leave it for a couple of days or so, after which the lemming often subsides.  That "cool off" period has helped a lot to reduce spending.  I've been doing that in-store too, putting things in my shopping basket, then when I'm done browsing I review each item and put back the things that I definitely don't need (which is usually most things!).

For 2020 I'm hoping to further cut down on color cosmetics and will be happy if at the end of the year I end up spending more on skincare than makeup rather than vice versa.

I've spent the past couple days doing an inventory of different parts of my makeup, skincare, and mask collections.

Based on my calculations, I should be able to:

• Entire year of 2020 without any makeup purchases
  • Through June-ish without any skincare (moisturizer, cleanser) purchases
    • I have many DS too, so it may actually be longer than that
  • Through June-ish (probably longer) without shampoo / conditioner purchases
  • Entire year of 2020 without any hair styling product purchases
  • Entire year of 2020 without any mask purchases
    • I somehow end up with a ton of masks at the end of each year??

So, here is the bold statement: I'm going to do a no-buy / extreme low-buy for 2020. I'll only buy replacements when I completely run out of a category of an item. 

I'll be stepping away from BIC for a while to keep me honest and cut down on temptation. I've done some budgeting and, with some aggressive saving, I will be able to renovate our kitchen by Xmas next year. So, there's the goal! 

@scott1201 , good luck on those goals!

Awesome goals, @scott1201 - and wonderful job in identifying them. BIC has been a habit for me to check and I too need to take a step back.  Here’s to coming back sporadically next year to report on our progresses.

OMG! That is extreme @scott1201. You can do it! I can't wait to hear about your updates when you hopefully occasionally visit BIC. And I'd love to see kitchen before and after photos. Have a great 2020!

2019 Year end recap

This will be my first year in 10 years where I won’t even qualify for VIB, only $70 away but I feel no need to make a purchase to reach VIB. After looking at different items, I didn’t even use the $25 off $75 this year ; which used to be one of the sales I loved most. 

I used to be rouge since it’s inception but the last few years have maintained VIB only. I’m happy with the progress I’ve made; I still have more makeup and skincare than I can ever use up. 

I probably still spent more than $500 on make up and skincare from other retailers but ended up saving more money than I would have if I purchased at Sephora. 

It’s sad to see the Sephora Beauty Insider program decline so much over the years and reading about everyone’s continued frustration with more perks being taken away or difficulty getting rewards and the GC. I’m so glad I depleted almost all of my points in 2018 and early 2019 for 5 $100 GCs. It’s hard to see points value decline year after year. I have only 2000 points left ; hoping for some good 100 pt items to redeem it on. 

As as far as low/no buy, I totally fell of the wagon due to eloping in French Polynesia ( too much shopping such as 12 new bathing suits lol) and some unexpected stressful health situations in the family triggered a lot of spending on eating out,clothes, shoes , home furnishings and spoiling family at Christmas.  

I need to really get back on track in 2020! 

Things I’ll continue to do: 

- spend on experiences and not things

- reduce time spent watching or reading beauty reviews 

-use up samples

things i will try to do:

- try to use makeup and skincare more ( probably only used it 20% of the time this year) 

-spend only $500 on beauty/skincare items this year.

-organize my stash 

-sell/gift things I no longer want

-no buy for 6 months of the year, low buy the rest. 

-read this thread more to stay accountable 

-watch/read ways to use the beauty items I do have in new or different ways so I can appreciate what I already have.

RE: Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I’m so sorry for what you had to go through. And I agree about the rewards program. This is my first year being rouge and will probably be my last. You have some great goals lined up for 2020! Best of luck!

All things considered, this year has gone pretty well for me. The no-buy part was going great until November, then I fell off the wagon and hit my head on both new Pat McGrath palettes and a few other things on the way down 🙈

My overall spend was still pretty high, but I replaced a lot of high-ticket skincare throughout the year, invested in a new flat iron, and upgraded my makeup brushes so my dollar amount should drop even more next year.

Spoiler

BOUGHT
   Sephora: $1595      (2018 - $3190)
   Nordstrom: $854    (2018 - $373)
   PMG Direct: $395   (2018 - $0)
   Ulta: $0                     (2018 - $391)
   Total purchased: $2844    (2018 - $4154++)

USED
   Makeup + fragrance: $579
   Skincare/haircare/supplements: $2661
   Total used: $3240 (2018 - $2183)
   Total empties: 440 (2018 - 365)

°°° 2019 - used $396 more than I spent °°°
°°° 2018 - spent $1971+ more than I used °°°

Great tracking @fieldsofclover! I'm excited to count my empties though I doubt I've used as much as you. Congrats and onto 2020!

I made it through the recent $20 off $75 (VIB) promotion without buying anything. It was really hard not to take advantage of “a good deal” Yay! That’s because I spent $150 on Black Friday, so I really wanted to rein myself in. What helped was tracking all the products I have already in queue for use. I stopped my beauty subscription earlier this year but the damage was done in that I now have a lot of product to trial and use.  So, I’m going to keep on a low-buy only for replacements until I try to use up most of my stash.

RE: Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Great job!

Way to go @newcarlee

RE: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I have been so good on my low/no buy. I’m really proud of myself. I used some store credit to buy something I wanted but other than that all I’ve done is refilled foundation, powder and C.C. undereye cream.
testing