Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

updated 12/31/19* The 2020 Thread is here 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Hey all!  Welcome to Year 5 of the No/Low Buy thread 😲

Since 2019 is LITERALLY around the corner so I figured it was time to get this thread started.  The 2018 thread can be located here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/2018-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILI...

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

The 2017 OP and link:

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler

Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@fieldsofclover  Congratulations! This is great news 👍 Does it feel more peaceful in your life? 😊

@PinkEvergreen Yes, and it's kind of a chicken/egg thing... my stress level is a lot lower than it was last year; same with anxiety. So cultivating panning as a hobby has probably been a good coping mechanism, and if I'm less stressed out then there's less stress-induced shopping, or at least better impulse control.

But now I feel better about the things I do buy, which is nice. I'm even ok with the few things I technically broke my no-buy for, because I did my homework first so they've become everyday items.

@fieldsofclover Congrats on your progress! It’s amazing to realize how much stuff we have when we go through our own stash. Also funny you go in store for your items, I am impulsive online and in store so I eliminated store shopping altogether and only shop online during sale periods or when I run out of something!

Checking in on the final day of my no buy month. I made two purchases at bath And Body Works for a total of $20. I am now $150 debt free going into September. I hoped to be $200 debt free, so $50 from my goal. I’ll shoot for $400 debt free in September.

I’m planning on spending $20 at Ulta for Mac lipsticks during the Ulta 21 days of beauty. I’m also Want fall candles during the Labor Day Sale if it’s a good one. Going to Sears to get some underwear during the Labor Day Sale Budget is $20.

July did me in again with more masks. I should have enforced a no buy on masks in August but I didn’t. Looking ahead since I’m posting this almost at the end of August, I spent probably around $50. I’ll report back soon with the exact amount. One batch right after the month started and one today. I’m not upset with my purchases because I know I will use them but did I really need them? Here’s to September! Luckily the Ulta preview didn’t seem very tempting to me but who knows what Marshalls/TJ Maxx will do.

Totals for July 2019:

Makeup (no buy) - $0

Skincare (low buy) - $69.14

• Erno Laszlo Exfoliating & Detoxifying Cleansing Oil
  • Lazy&Easy all kill cleanser x 2
  • Look At Me Hydrogel Eye Patch – Aloe Vera (5 pairs)
  • by nature Acai Berry Sheet Mask (5 pack)
  • Candy O’Lady Honey Milk Mask (10 pack)
  • Candy O’Lady Mellow Cotton Candy Mask (10 pack)
  • LookAtMe Aloe Vera (10 pack)
  • LookAtMe Snail + Green Tea (10 pack)
  • LookAtMe Watermelon (10 pack)
  • Yadah Brightening Jelly mask (5 pack) x2

Haircare (low buy) - $0

Totals for my year (November 2018-October 2019) to date:

Makeup (no buy) - $25.56

Spoiler

Prior purchases

• BareMinerals Mineral Veil Setting Powder x2

Skincare (low buy) - $457.99

Spoiler

Prior purchases

• CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser
  • CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
  • CeraVe PM (2 pack)
  • CeraVe Baby Lotion
  • Nivea Sunprotect Water Gel SPF 50 PA+++
  • Dr. Teal's Epsom Salt - Soothe & Sleep - Lavender
  • Dr. Teal's Epsom Salt - Restore & Replenish - Pink Himalayan
  • Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Jelly
  • Mediheal Mask Pack (10)
  • Biore Pore Strips
  • Australian Gold Botanical Tinted Sunscreen SPF 50
  • Garnier Micellar Water
  • Ulta Sea Kelp Sheet Mask
  • CVS Honey Dew and Chamomile Overnight Cream Facial Mask
  • Skyn Iceland Eye Gels 8 pack x2
  • Dr. Teal’s Epsom Salt - Shea Butter and Almond Oil
  • Cotton squares
  • Vichy Mineral 89 x2
  • Yadah aloe mask (10 pack)
  • Yadah collagen mask (10 pack)
  • Yadah rose mask (10 pack)
  • Look At Me Hydrogel Eye Patch – Green Tea (5 pairs)
  • esfolio Foot & Heel Peeling Mask
  • Ariul 7 Days Mask – Tea Tree (10 pack)
  • Crop Brightening Sheet Mask (5 pack)
  • Holika Holika – Damask Rose(10 pack)
  • Holika Holika – 100% Aloe (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino AC-Free (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino Lifting (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino Moisture (10 pack)
  • Rata & Co. – Replenishing Coconut and Seaweed (5 pack)
  • Oozoo Bear – Aurora Illuminating (5 pack)
  • Oozoo Bear – Black Space Pore Caring (5 pack)
  • Oozoo Bear – Water-Bang Hydrating (5 pack)
  • Yadah – Pore Care (12 pack)
  • Bawdy Butt Mask – Squeeze It
  • Australian Gold Botanical Tinted Sunscreen SPF 50
  • Look At Me Hydrogel Eye Patch – Aloe Vera(5 pairs)
  • Yadah Cleansing nose pack
  • Holika Holika – Lemon (10 pack)
  • JJ Young – Pore Rosehip Mud Sheet Mask (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino Clearing (10 pack)
  • the Crème shop – Tumeric (5 pack)
  • Yadah aloe mask (10 pack)
  • Erno Laszlo – Firm & Lift 2 Step Mask x2
  • Erno Laszlo – Lighten & Brighten 2 Step Mask

Haircare (low buy/smart buy) - $182.04

Spoiler

Prior purchases

• John Frieda Leave-In Conditioner Spray
  • John Frieda Curl Styling Spray
  • DevaCurl Wave Maker
  • DevaCurl Light Defining Gel
  • DevaCurl SuperCream
  • DevaCurl B'Leave-In
  • No Poo 32 oz
  • One Condition 32 oz
  • One Condition 12 oz
  • Coconut Supercream Deluxe Sample
  • Decadence Shampoo/Conditioner Sample Packets

Once we get to the weekend, I'll get my real totals for August. Hope everyone met their goals this month (a bit unlike me). I need to set a firm goal and stick to it.

Well, You did great on makeup 

Thanks @howconnie! I probably will have 0 foundation by the time it finishes including samples so that means I can hunt down a perfect for me one. Also the rotating blush pan has helped me not want to get more since I already have 12 different colors to use and likely will never finish them. It's been good to get some old stuff used up so maybe next year I can bring products in without feeling guilty.

I’m hoping to get back on track in September as well @ShortErica

@faeriegirl 🥂 cheers to a better September!

So I've been really disappointed about missing the sale.  I'm in Chicago, in the city, and have a friend in my neighborhood who has no car.  I give her rides to the grocery store occasionally.  She's moving in a few weeks and I took her to Home Depot to buy boxes.  She texted me earlier asking if I could take her back and I was a little annoyed, but then reminded myself she's a good friend.  We made arrangements to get dinner tonight and head over there afterward.  She sent me a $50 Sephora E Gift Card thanking me for all my help.  I was all ready to check out and buy the PMG lipstick I want, and I realized I'd have to pay for shipping.  I'd save $6 from the sale and pay $5.95 for shipping.  That just didn't feel like a good deal to me.  I'd feel better if I was buying more and didn't have to pay for shipping.  And I realized, I was about to impulse spend the entire amount within 10 minutes of receiving the gift.  I hit the brake pedal and I'm going to hold onto this and be thoughtful about how I use it.

Bravo 

@sprocketta Something that has really helped me with impulse purchases has been really trying to commit to making purchases in-store only. This has made the biggest difference on my overspending on clothes, but it has also helped a ton with beauty products. It would also cut out the shipping issue, though getting around Chicago is different than out here in Wisco so it might be a wash.

I came to this strategy after identifying how and when I made the majority of my impulse purchases (at work, browsing, feeling sorry for myself/stressed/anxiety) and doing everything in my power to keep that specific spending to a minimum. I could still browse online, but if I wanted to buy something I'd have to make time to get to the store. I almost never wanted to make time to get to the store badly enough and I have literally saved Hundreds of dollars and tons of time and stress trying to make or mail returns in on time in the handful of months I've decided to try this. Again, maybe not a cure-all, but possibly a change of strategy/ choosing when and how you make purchases will lead to greater successes

That's funny @Brutalitops I'm exactly the opposite of you.  I prefer shopping in store, and do NOT go there unless I have money to spend.  I'm not into buying makeup online blind.  If I've been in the store and tried it, that's one thing.  Or if I'm restocking skincare.  It actually drives me crazy that there are more benefits to shopping online at Sephora given all the promos and cash back from Rakuten.

@sprocketta I actually prefer shopping in store also when I have money and things I *actually* want to buy, but I always seem to mindlessly browse (and buy) stuff I don't really want or need when I'm bored and stressed. Not to say I never overspend in person, but it's generally much, much less than the needless overspending I do online. 

I feel you on the GWP online only thing though, that's some straight BS. Like how hard would it be to have samples to give out in store? As far as Rakuten, Sephora is one of the few stores where you can get the cash back in store if you link your card! I frequently forget, or don't pay with a card, but it's definitely better than nothing

Great job @sprocketta

Good for you! 🙂 @sprocketta I know how it can spiral  to buy more for free shipping and I did this with Makeup eraser but I caved in to pay for the shipping .  These sales are disappointing when they dont even allow gwp with the discount. 😞

At least you will have $50 more to spend on what you want in Dec plus the skincare you are going to need  🙂 What color PMG are you going to get?

Oh, and, PMG website will probably have a 25% off sale in Dec/Jan??

@Buootiful there is no way I will be able to wait until December.  I'll be getting this PMG. It looked gorgeous on me when I tried it before. Probably next month.Screenshot_20190823-201627_Chrome.jpg

@sprocketta  Self-control is not spending outside of your budget on beauty. SUPER self-control is not spending a gift certificate!!! 👏 👏👏

Well done!! 😃

I checked Mint the other day and I was really happy to see that my beauty spending has stayed around $100 a month on average, which is what I was trying for. It's still a lot but much improved to the damage I did to my wallet the last two years. So far I've been doing ok with the sale and stayed within budget but I'm supposed to go with my friend to the biggest Sephora in town today to get some stuff for her wedding. Fingers crossed I don't lose my mind. 

A recent strategy I picked up to avoid impulse spending, especially for foundation and other liquid products is to request a sample. If I don't use up the sample within a week it's a pass. It's helped me avoid buying the Fenty and Anastasia foundations right out of the gate, and hopefully the PMG and CT ones too once I get to try them. 

Great that your keeping to your budget.

Great idea @makeitup305! Also a great way to see how it plays with your other products and how it wears through different days

testing