Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

updated 12/31/19* The 2020 Thread is here 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Hey all!  Welcome to Year 5 of the No/Low Buy thread 😲

Since 2019 is LITERALLY around the corner so I figured it was time to get this thread started.  The 2018 thread can be located here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/2018-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILI...

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

The 2017 OP and link:

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler

Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

That is a great strategy idea @makeitup305!

@makeitup305  Great strategy 👍 It satisfies your curiosity and keeps the money in your pocket 😊

This is a reminder that I need to start using Mint again @makeitup305 I did for a while and liked it, but totally got off track ages ago.  It's a useful tool.

@sprocketta I've had it for years and stopped using it but picked it back up after doing my taxes this year. I wish I'd kept up with it more last year and budgeted better.

I've been struggling with impulsive shopping. I had still been planning a sale purchase. I checked my bank account today and realized it's totally not going to happen. I'm so disappointed but I can't in good conscience do it because I will just be unhappy with myself and stressed about money. Sigh. It would really be nice to pick my two items up at a discount but it's not reasonable. I'm hoping next month, but we'll see. Adulting.

It's so easy to give in to the lure of new stuff, and so hard to resist. Good for you!!

Tough decisions, but you made the best choice to hold on...

Tough decisions, but you made the best choice to hold on purchasing @sprocketta. Keep us posted on how next month goes. Also remember we'll have a second sale in December. It's a bit away, but still another opportunity.

Re: Tough decisions, but you made the best choice to hold on...

@IndyQT317 I'm proud I held off.  I had to buy a few delxue samples of the skincare products I'm currently using but I got them cheaper direct.  I still spent money, but like $30 instead of $100plus.

Hi @sprocketta, the desire to buy is sometimes so hard to squash but you’re doing so well to realize you’d just be stressed if you give into the desire now.  Keep up the good work of fitting your purchases to your budget.  

@sprocketta  Good work checking your account and sitting this one out 👍

Have you considered shopping your stash? That might be a way to feel like you got something new 😊

@PinkEvergreen I was planning on buying the new Farmacy vit c serum and a PMG lipstick. That would be about $100. I placed an order for a couple minis of the vitamin c stuff I'm currently using (OH truth serum and the c rush moisturizer) from the OH website. Those 2 are half the price of the Farmacy serum I was planning to buy. I like the OH a lot, I just wanted something new. I can reevaluate in a month. I'm just not going to throw my money at Sephora without being sensible.

Can you get samples to tide you over until the next sale? You might discover that it doesn't do anything for you.

Often times I am desperate to try the latest 'in thing' but can't justify buying it right then. By the time I can, I have forgotten why I thought that I needed it so desperately.

@sprocketta have you thought about buying Korean skincare instead of high end? A lot of the time it's a lot more affordable and just as good. It might help kill the "i want new stuff" bug at a fraction. 

@makeitup305 I also kinda struggle with the K-beauty. Like it's cheaper for sure but I feel like I'm never quite sure about quality or values- like sometimes it seems like aesthetics of the product/packaging are placed at a higher priority than the product itself? Maybe that's just a misplaced judgement I should get over? IDK. It also seems difficult to compare apples to apples with K-beauty IMO

@Brutalitops I find that most K-beauty brands go simplistic on skincare packaging and all out on makeup packaging, at least from what I've tried. I like that they use high percentages of active ingredients or callout ingredients, a lot of them focus on the appropriate pH for the actives to work, and I feel like they have a lot of options for dry, sensitive, and/or dehydrated skin. What do you mean about comparing apples to apples? For me a Vitamin C serum is a Vitamin C serum, regardless of where it's made (as long as it's reputable, obviously). I think K beauty skincare is cheaper not necessarily because of a lack of quality but because of a more competitive market at what we consider "drugstore" level. I feel that in the US, if you want good skincare you usually go higher end because drugstore skincare is usually packed with fillers or alcohol or just isn't as good. In Korea and other Asian countries, since makeup is more minimal and "glass skin" is the goal there's a wider price range for good options. 

@makeitup305 I think in large part you're right and I probably have some weird prejudice against K-beauty I clearly need to asses and get over. That being said, I feel like it's hard to tell what a reputable brand is- like I trust anything on Soko Glam but Amazon? Not so much. A lot of the information not being translated for some products makes it difficult for me to discern if something is the real deal, a fake, or just not good to begin with. While I would 100% agree that they have skincare products that cater to more niche skin concerns (which I definitely appreciate) they frequently feature ingredients I don't understand the purpose of or how they stack up against other ingredients and I feel like sometimes searching that information online returns little helpful information.

Basically I want someone to spoon feed me information about K-beauty because I am lazy and stupid and trying to wade through this segment of skincare makes those facts glaringly obvious lol

@makeitup305 Do you have any recommendations?  I started on my skincare expedition around 5 weeks ago.  Once I added in an AHA exfoliant and a vitamin C serum I saw such a huge difference in brightness and skin tone.  The most expensive skin care product I wanted to buy was the Farmacy Cherry Bright Vitamin C Serum.  At $62 for a serum, that seems out of control to me.  I've gone on Soko Glam a couple times but was without much direction or time.

@sprocketta I haven't tried it but I've heard really good things about the Klairs Freshly Juiced Vitamin C Serum. It's also at Ulta. I've been using the Benton Snail Bee High Content Essence and it's really nice and hydrating and absorbs super quick so I might try the serum from that line. The ingredient list on it full of good ingredients.The Cosrx Triple C Lightening liquid is cult fave and on my wish list. Klairs also has a very interesting serum called the Midnight Blue Youth Activating Drop that is also on my list. That one isn't on SokoGlam but it sounds appealing. Last, the Missha Time Revolution Night Repair Probio Ampoule. Sorry I can't give you any reviews, it's mostly stuff I've researched and has intrigued me. I've been trying to use up all the skincare I've hoarded before binging. 

Recently I finally decided to aggressively declutter my collection and move on, rather than feeling negatively about the money spent on it every time I looked at it. I was inspired by Jessica Braun’s recent, very pragmatic, declutter series on YouTube (JAMBeauty89) to bring forward the products I actually wanted to use but never managed to see because they were buried by so many others.

This is how I ended up organizing my decluttering process:

Category 1: Never tried, still want to try, and will use. (Keep and move into daily rotation.)

Category 2: Have used and want to continue using. (Keep and move into daily rotation.)

Category 3: Have never used and do not want to use. (Give to someone who will use.)

Category 4: Have used very gently and can safely give away without sanitation issues being of concern. (Give to someone who will use.)

Category 5: Have used and item is too old or impossible to properly sanitize. (Repurpose.)

Category 6: Have never used, but item is expired, or does not match the tastes of anyone I know. (Repurpose.)

The whole process has been so liberating. A bit horrifying, yes, when I consider the dollar amounts, but liberating nonetheless. I haven’t tallied up the dollar amounts on Category 1 or 2 items (keeps) but I’ve tallied the other ones and oof... Yah. 

Based on my purchase amount details in my Sephora account, I logically knew the cost of my three-year “must have all the pretties!!!” life stage. But to see it right in front of me, and actually hold it, was another experience. For example, the Category 3 and 4 items I’ve given away so far have added up to $2K, and I still have more to distribute. 

I had hoped to have far more money represented in the “give” categories, because it would have felt better to see makeup being used and loved by friends and family. However, a ton needed to be placed into Category 5 and 6. This bummed me out. 

But, being a little artsy, an idea came to me one day while watching Netflix. I happened to notice a colourful, textured, abstract painting hanging on the wall of a character’s home, and I thought: I have a massive bin full of amazing colours, textures, finishes, etc. — why not use them for my next art project? So that’s what I’ll be doing with my unusable makeup 😊 I’m sure it’s not a revolutionary idea by any means, but I’m excited about it. 

Of course I wish I’d reined in my purchases many moons ago, before ending up with a massive collection of high-end and luxury “art supplies” but now I’m choosing to set the negative feelings aside and move on in a positive way. 

Hope everyone is having a nice Sunday! ☺️

Edit: Not sure if this is really Jessica Braun, but tagging this Sephora account in case:

@JAMbeauty89 

@PinkEvergreen I love this! I've been really looking at re-evaluating what I buy and why I buy them and how it fits into my goals, my values, and my peace/happiness. I've expanded that into the things I am keeping that currently bring me stress. While for me it's mostly not beauty products, I relate to the feeling bad about money spent in vain on things that could barely be said to have even brought momentary happiness and that I haven't used.

I LOOOVE your art project plan! Even if you don't end up feeling like sharing the finished product I'd be very interested to hear about the experience!

@PinkEvergreen I feel the same. I've been decluttering consistently this year and trying to be truthful to myself as to what I'm going to actually be using. Some stuff I've been able to give away but I don't have that many friends who are into makeup or that many girl friends in general so a lot of it is just sitting in a bin waiting for a home. My biggest regrets are the Viseart Paris Nudes eyeshadow palette and the Hourglass Ethereal Glow blush (though I think I got that one from Glambot). Plus, a ton of singles that I hoarded from Colourpop and Makeup Geek. I really want to give them to someone who will appreciate them since they're more expensive and I feel like sending them to a shelter would be pointless since it's not the kind of stuff they need. 

testing