Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

updated 12/31/19* The 2020 Thread is here 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Hey all!  Welcome to Year 5 of the No/Low Buy thread ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Since 2019 is LITERALLY around the corner so I figured it was time to get this thread started.  The 2018 thread can be located here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/2018-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILI...

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

The 2017 OP and link:

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler

Re: RE: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I'm skipping the sale completely. I had been pondering maybe the ND Mini Tropic or a Fenty lippie or two, but after straightening up both my lip and shadow storage, I'm all full up and don't have room for even one more of anything. And I certainly don't have any "needs" right now...my never ending sample stash keeps me well supplied with all the basics in the rest of my skin/hair/makeup routines lol. 

Re: RE: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

You just reminded me, although my lipstick collection is massive and havenโ€™t used up a lipstick in months  I want Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Mattemoiselle Plush Matte Lipstick Pumpkin Rose

I'm planning to skip it if there's nothing big I need to replace in the next couple months. Friends & Fam isn't too far away, and after that we're almost to the holiday season anyway(!).

@fieldsofclover All of this! Plus, a bunch of new makeup is about to launch in the next couple months (AND My local store is getting some new brands in) so I'm happy to wait this one out until November

Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Iโ€™m checking in on my second week of no buy August and I am still going strong. I have paid my debt down by a whopping $100. That leaves me with $2,400 in credit overspending. Godโ€™s speed on my no buy. I was thinking about selling some of my extensive hoard of backups on mercari but couldnโ€™t bare to part with anything, so Iโ€™m just going to enjoy being $100 debt free as a result of a 10 day no buy. 

I didnโ€™t even feel like I deprived myself. I have everything, but I would have purchased more out of boredom. Instead I went to Starbucks and had a good time enjoying a large coffee. 

Good for you @howconnie! The fact that you don't feel dep...

Good for you @howconnie! The fact that you don't feel deprived says your making progress in your spending pattern. Continue to finish the month strong. You got this๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿพ

Re: Good for you @howconnie! The fact that you don't feel dep...

God bless you. Progress in my spending patterns, what a beautiful term. Iโ€™m going to make it the goal of my no buy.

@howconnie  Nice work ๐Ÿ‘ Stay strong ๐Ÿ˜Š

Thanks 

Keep going @howconnie you got this ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿพ 

2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Checking in from my low buy in July. I purchased 3 items and a service.This month I really need to repurchase my summer foundation, but dreading it. This no buy/low buy has been reflective for me and how much I spend excessively on beauty. Not saying I want to go minimalist. I just need to do more intentional spending and stop buying several of the same products because it's on sale. For August, I'll continue my low buy journey.

Go @IndyQT317 Go!

I hear you on being intentional! It's helped me pass on sales that I'd normally jump for because I felt the pressure to "take advantage of a sale" when I had more than enough of what I needed.

One thought for your summer foundation: If summer will be winding down where you are soon and you won't use the summer foundation outside of that period then look at what you have and try to make it work. If you can use out of it beyond the summer months and/or your foundation stash is low go for it when that sale comes next week. 

I was on the track of thinking @ElleElleG. I went back in...

I was on the track of thinking @ElleElleG. I went back in my stash and pulled out my Lancome Teint Idole Ulta Cushion foundation. Between my Huda and Cover FX setting powders it works! So I'm just riding out the summer with these products. I no longer need to purchase the foundation for the sale. I was so happy I gave my stash a second look.

Re: I was on the track of thinking @ElleElleG. I went back in...

Yass @IndyQT317! Way to go! I find I can frequently blend samples or whatever to make do for a few months and my "summer foundations" always end up being nearly entirely wasted. Way to make a smart choice!

This sounds very mindful @IndyQT317. Which products do you feel you've bought too many of? A purchase of your summer foundation seems intentional so I'm trying to pinpoint which areas we can help you with. Keep it up with your low buy!

Hey @ShortErica. I have so many lipsticks and variations...

Hey @ShortErica. I have so many lipsticks/glosses/balms and variations of the same shades it's ridiculous! I also bought multiple mascaras, sheet/tube masks, perfume rollerballs, hair stylers, nail polishes, and brow products. I was buying serums and essences in multiples, but relaxed after last year. Now I buy those skincare items once I run out because I like to switch them up often. The others have been difficult to get to that point..yet. I'm hopeful to start with one then work on the rest.

Re: Hey @ShortErica. I have so many lipsticks and variations...

One at a time is a great approach @IndyQT317. With mascara I try to plan out which one(s) I will use. With minis if I like it I will use it at least 3 months but if it's a dud then I try to do it 1 month to give it a true test then move on. This gives me something to look forward to with my mascaras without buying more.

I  would like to know more too for personal reasons. I binge buy multiples when there is a good sale, and hadnโ€™t identified that as a problem. So if youโ€™d be willing to explain it, maybe I could learn something. Thanks 

Just taking a second to pat myself in the back. July was brutal. I think I've been betrayed in some of the worst way possible (one of which may be the reason I go back to therapy, actually), I got sick about three days before my birthday and then spent far too much time at work or planning a funeral with my grandmother. But I didn't resort to retail therapy. I would normally have ran to Sephora and right to the YSL section and grabbed a Rouge Volupte lipstick to make myself feel better. But I showed major restraint. I'm still $500 in (at Sephora) for the year when normally I rerouge by March. It may not seem like a lot but it feels like a huge milestone for me.

Thatโ€™s great. My condolences and bravo for going straight to therapy, way to take care of yourself.

@Nickelliebear1 ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ not resorting to retail therapy is a...

@Nickelliebear1 ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ not resorting to retail therapy is a big deal being Rouge. The fact that it's August and you haven't made it to your renewal Rouge period says volumes. So sorry for your family's loss and your betrayal. Therapy is a better option and seems like you kept some of those former coping skills, which lead to not hitting up Sephora and grabbing an YSL lippie. Well done.
testing