Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

updated 12/31/19* The 2020 Thread is here 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Hey all!  Welcome to Year 5 of the No/Low Buy thread ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Since 2019 is LITERALLY around the corner so I figured it was time to get this thread started.  The 2018 thread can be located here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/2018-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILI...

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

The 2017 OP and link:

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler

Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@Nickelliebear1 $500 in August is quite the accomplishment โ€” well done! Especially when there have been a lot of emotional challenges to surmount. Stay strong and keep making the good choices to get to the good outcomes โค๏ธ

RE: Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Iโ€™m sorry that youโ€™ve been going through so much. But congrats on resisting the retail therapy!

I would like to tell everyone I successfully completed a 6 day no buy today. It was not easy. Ulta sent me a 5 off 10 coupon and a lipstick sale. I printed the coupon, but didnโ€™t end up getting in store before it expired. Providence.

Way to go @howconnie!

Way to go @howconnie!

Way to go!  And tomorrow makes 1 week. Can't wait to hear about it tomorrow. @howconnie 

Thanks I have never made it this long.

How's it going, @howconnie ?

Iโ€™m still going strong. Thinking I will pass on the summer sale since I bought all my summer makeup in the spring. I will check the fragrances for clearance or a Sephora fav if I get a chance.

@howconnie  Well done! โ˜บ๏ธ And three cheers for expiry dates lol...

Hip hip hooray ๐Ÿ˜ƒ 

RE: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Hey fellow no-buy and low-buy friends! I started a Pinterest board about money and I really like this one. It reminds me to think about my bigger goals rather than in the moment spending. I hope that you guys like it too!

Like the idea @KehDee

Like the idea @KehDee

After a few unnecessary Prime Day purchases, and a mega-haul during the recent ColourPop Super Shock Eyeshadow sale, Iโ€™m going on a no-buy until December (with the exception of restocking my beloved Drybar On The Rocks shampoo and conditioner when it runs out). I will pause my no-buy in December to pick out some goodies for family and friends, but thatโ€™s it. I need exactly zero things for myself! ๐Ÿ˜

I had thought that the ColourPop mega-haul didnโ€™t cost much because their prices are so low (and ridiculously low when on sale), but once I calculated the US to CAD exchange.... gulp. I definitely overindulged in every colour I could ever possibly need. I could have made do with about 50% less. 

Time to rein things back in and stop chasing all the pretties and all the tech goodies on Amazon. I love the feeling of a balanced budget more than looking at a mountain of new shadows that will take me years to use up! 

You can do it

I often have to tell myself that just because it is on sale doesn't mean that you have to buy it. I didn't get anything for National Lipstick Day and haven't bought from Sephora in weeks. I am trying to hold on for another couple of weeks to my low buy.

RE: Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Donโ€™t beat yourself up for spending more than you could have. And as a fellow Canadian, I feel your pain about the exchange! Good luck on your no buy until December!

Sometimes we need that overspend to put ourselves in check @PinkEvergreen. I also like that you are focusing on finding things for family and friends around the holidays. That's how I like to distract myself too. Plus you never know what you will be getting as gifts. I tend to feel bad if I spend money on something that someone else will get me, say like lotion, because you can only use so much at a time and I don't like wasting products or having them go bad. Good luck on your no buy and let us know how it's progressing!

Feeling pretty down on myself.  I bought my first full-size PMG a week and a half ago.  I got the lip balms too which I chose to return.  My choice was going to be to put an additional $15 towards another full size PMG.  I got into the store and of course the PTR rep showed me their peel pads and used one on my arm (couldn't use it on my face due to the perk facial).  The difference was amazing.  So I walked out with a $100 purchase.  I reassessed my bank account and realized there was no way I could keep it.  Super impulsive, irresponsible spending.  Long story short this is part of my mental illness.  I went to a different location to return the items and there was no parking lot.  The closest by parking lot warned not to park there for Sephora, but my judgment wasn't great and I figured they couldn't tow me in the 5 minutes I was in Sephora.  They must have had a camera because after 7 minutes my car was gone.  It was $250 for the tow and Uber to get there (Uber surge pricing due to Lollapalooza).  And I feel like crap.  The lipstick I bought was gorgeous and the formula was amazing.  I hope to buy it next month or the one after, but costs seem to keep popping up.  I REALLY want this one though.  PMG Beautiful Creature, by the way.

Aw, @sprocketta, I've had those days, too. I'm glad you feel better today.

Thanks @curlychiquita All the lovelies, including you, on BIC are helping a lot. All the comments I woke up to this morning really brightened up my mood.

@sprocketta I'm so sorry that everything seems to have spiraled out for you.  I totally get what a lack of impulse control feels like and with my own battle with mental illness, am very quick to point the fingers at myself so I can only imagine the sort of hurt that you're experiencing.  Just know that things will get better. Your luck is going to turn around and everything is going to feel so much better. 

And that beautiful lipstick is going to be around for whenever you're ready for it.  

testing