Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

updated 12/31/19* The 2020 Thread is here 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Hey all!  Welcome to Year 5 of the No/Low Buy thread ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Since 2019 is LITERALLY around the corner so I figured it was time to get this thread started.  The 2018 thread can be located here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/2018-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILI...

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

The 2017 OP and link:

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler

Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

That's such a good attitude. You will succeed @howconnie! Here's to a better August!

โ˜บ๏ธ 

Its okay! Theres 12 months in a year ๐Ÿ˜‚ ..... I failed wi...

Its okay! Theres 12 months in a year ๐Ÿ˜‚ ..... I failed with my no-buy with another handbag ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

Re: Its okay! Theres 12 months in a year ๐Ÿ˜‚ ..... I failed wi...

Well at least that temptation is gone, cause you have that handbag now.

Currently starting on a no-buy budget. Hoping to try till November when the sale is. Going to Asia during November so I'm currently saving.

I forgot and left my Pomade when I moved out but have been putting off buying it (using other brow stuff ๐Ÿ˜ž that isn't as nice). Thinking of getting a new bottle of the UD foundation as its half price and i'm 3/4 done mine. Been waiting to get the Fenty retouch primer, makeup remover (running out) and Mac prep & prime. Total of items wanted: $167.24 but I don't really need it so I'm trying to put it off.

Currently not broke but feeling bad about spending. Overall pretty good at restraining myself especially when it comes to makeup. I'm trying to limit myself to the items listen above in November. I looked through my bank account and felt bad about my purchases starting in 2019. Trying to limit spending on other non- necessities as well. Money spent on makeup is low but I feel I spent too much on other things. ๐Ÿ˜ž

I spent $450 shopper points on a switch that I don't even really use instead of my usual makeup splurges.

Good luck @DianaHuynh

Thanks โค

Thanks โค

What's happened has happened, please dont beat yourself up @DianaHuynh. You seem to have good self restraint and I'm positive you will meet your goal of waiting until November. As long as you are mindful, you'll get your other non makeup spending under control too. Good luck!

Thanks! Not beating myself up but I'm always tempted with...

Thanks! Not beating myself up but I'm always tempted with makeup ๐Ÿ˜… Since its technically not something I need I came across this forum and will try and wait in out.

Having a relaxing Sunday morning on the couch looking at my spreadsheets, like most normal people ๐Ÿ˜‚ I just re-Rouged last week so I figured it was a good time to see where I'm at this year. Here's some stuff I've noticed:

Apparently I'm on a makeup low-buy, not a no-buy... I've been pretty good about sticking to replacements, but not entirely. The good news is that almost everything I have bought is getting used 2-4 days a week (except now my older things are sitting around more, which is not so great). The one thing out there I irrationally want right now is a Kosas lipstick, since Sephora is stocking them now... so I've resolved to either use another lip item up entirely, or to declutter two lip products, before I can get one. 

One major thing I'm still working on is that there is a Sephora in the outdoor mall down the hill from my office. It's really easy to use the walk to get some outside time after work, and it's really easy to drop into the store while I'm there, too.

I'm on track for my spending this year to be half of last year, so that's a win regardless.

Also, I'm pleased to say that ALL of my skincare spending this year has been on replacement items only! I'm really proud of myself for reining in this spending category because it has really gotten away from me for the past two years. New launches aren't getting to me now because I've retreated to the safety of brand loyalty, haha.

Spoiler

Skincare: $217. This number jumped up in the past month because I'm nearly finished with the big pile of samples and promos I've been working through. I feel confident about my planned purchases, though... I'll need a new sleeping oil soon, then I just need to keep my acids topped off until it's time for a new C serum in the fall. 

Makeup: $423 (after returns). This is definitely where the impulse shopping still is. But I've done a good job of returning things that haven't worked with my undertone/lifestyle. I've also used up almost $300 of makeup items since January, so my current ratio of spend vs. use is a lot more reasonable than past years have been. Net carbs, but make it makeup ๐Ÿฅ—

Haircare: $54. Not a problem area for me - I got a new hairbrush and replaced a dry shampoo, and threw a couple hair masks into one order.

Other: $447. This is all my Hum supplements, Kopari deo, and some weekly-wow makeup brushes. 

@fieldsofclover  Awesome work! Glad things are balancing out for you ๐Ÿ˜Šโค๏ธ

Spending half of last yearโ€™s spending is a huge win, @fieldsofclover!  Congrats!  I think cataloging spending is a great way to really focus on needs vs wants.  I would love to pore over spreadsheets on a Sunday. 

I like the idea of looking at it as a ratio of things used to amount spent @fieldsofclover 

Excellent job that your spending with half of what it was last year @fieldsofclover! And yes, normal people spend Sundays looking at spreadsheets! ๐Ÿ˜

@ShortErica Thank you! And yes I keep telling myself that ๐Ÿ˜‚

@ShortErica Thank you! And yes I keep telling myself that ๐Ÿ˜‚

Ooh, that must be tough to have a store so conveniently close and temptation is real. maybe try to ask for samples and have fun using those up rather than making full purchases? Though, I'm sure it's hard to do with makeup items. I sometimes like to go in store and browse, only to end up using my points for a rewards gift.

It's good that you are still withing your goal spend at least!

I do need to go back to just sampling more. I was doing g...

I do need to go back to just sampling more. I was doing great for a while,then I got my skincare all sorted out so I moved on to swatching makeup, and... ๐Ÿ˜‚ Maybe I should switch to just trying perfumes and walking away, but I'm trying to just go in less altogether ๐Ÿ™ˆ

I've been on a no buy/low buy for most of the year.  I was really strict with a no buy until fall last year and totally caved around the holidays.  This year I've been really good.  I changed jobs and make more money at this one.  I just keep having stupid expenses come up.  It's driving me crazy.  I bought some clothes this month, which I absolutely hate doing, so no beauty spending there.  Adulting sucks.  I just bought a Chicago vehicle sticker renewal for almost $200.  I'm eyeing those PMG fetish lip balms and I'm really feeling like I need some retail therapy, but I'm trying so hard to save money as well.  I don't want all my extra money going towards makeup.  But a little of it, sure.  I'm going to have a no buy until I get paid mid-month next month and then re-evaulate.  I am just SO frustrated.  I really need a good Sephora and/or Ulta haul.

You got this! It is good to wait until you get paid...and, this way you have time to really evaluate what is worth splurging on. Splurging once in a while is a good way to keep up your motivation for saving, I think. When I go cold turkey, I'm good for a while but then end up breaking and going crazy!

Adulting does suck @sprocketta. I hope you have less unexpected expenses come up so you can have more fun money. Please update us when you reevaluate next month.

Thanks for the support @ShortErica I need it.

1 Reply
testing