Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

updated 12/31/19* The 2020 Thread is here 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Hey all!  Welcome to Year 5 of the No/Low Buy thread 😲

Since 2019 is LITERALLY around the corner so I figured it was time to get this thread started.  The 2018 thread can be located here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/2018-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILI...

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

The 2017 OP and link:

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler

Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

We are here for you @sprocketta.

I strayed from my low buy and didn't check in for a while. I see a pattern of falling for promo codes. Though I try to replenish items I need, I also add unecessaries to reach the spend limit. I am going to restrict myself to a no buy until I actually run out of something, since I don't need multiple back ups. My only exception is for mini fragrance promos, since I am an avid collector. I can pass on the other promos. I really didn't need a La Mer eye concentrate mini when I have been disappointed by La Mer in the past. And who cares if the Caudalie promo was valued at $100+? I already have a skincare routine!

Spoiler
sephoraspend.JPG

@fieldsofclover@ElleElleG @ShortErica thanks for your comments and support! 🙂

No problem @JiMi2006 

I think learning to critically evaluate all the new promo...

I think learning to critically evaluate all the new promos has been the toughest part of my no-buy/low-buy adventure, so good work there 💜 I really love your spreadsheet setup here too!

@JiMi2006 Your spreadsheet is nice! It's gratifying to finally use stuff up and get rid of all the extra backups, and going through all the excess stash when the temptation hits can help too! I had promo FOMO big for a while and you have a great point which is what I started to feel too, a lot of them are disappointing or not as good as what I use and I have a routine of things I love! Thanks, that was a good reminder 🙂 

Great job tracking. I love your table @JiMi2006. It is nice to hear you are learning your temptations and modifying your spending plan. Keep it up!

Hi all! Hope everyone is doing well with their goals, can't wait to get some free time and read through the posts. I had fun looking back at the early pages to find my goals (like seeing the adorable dumpling money stickers @eshoe got, so cute!) and wondering how everyone is doing with theirs also? 

I had checked in earlier this year that I was continuing to curb spending because we wanted to finish paying off my fiances debt and start to build/buy a house by summer and am SUPER EXCITED to share that we did it and we've been in our new home for 2 months this week! We are also working hard at his debt, within months of paying it off and have a great plan for it that allowed us to get into a home and also keeps us living life.

I am admittedly feeling weak and getting burnt out of our strict budget (coincidentally I'm the one who makes it "strict" haha) always having money on the mind etc while working at his debt because thankfully it's not a way I've ever lived before but I am trying hard to stick to it because I know what kind of freedom it allows us in the near future and I really want to go into our marriage without this financial stress! I have been toying with the idea of a "cheat month" in the near future to really stock up our fun money accounts, get some new clothes (it's been a hot minute for both of us and I might have washed a jack black chapstick in my scrubs and ruined a whole load of our laundry  ;)) and maybe try to get in a little fall vacay too. 

My goals for the year were:

Spoiler

So my 2019 "guidelines"

• Save and make big purchases during GWP bags/incentives. I know this kind of negates the goal of reducing clutter, but it's a great way for me to get some variety in without extra spend and I am at the point of not feeling like I need to get the GWP. I can pass on it if the contents aren't useful for me.
  • Only replenish needs, and try to do so during sales, point perks, or promo's that I'll use. An exception to this is having a little back stock of sheet masks, no more than what fit in my current container (small plastic tupperware, a little less than shoebox)
  • Keep decluttering and using items up in the pan challenge
  • Keep it to one subscription box (allure) and if a boxes contents really wow me/make sense, buy it for the month and move on. ie: I was going to buy a FS of the lancer oil for $60 something and then beauty fix had a FS in the box one month, so I got the box that month for $21 then cancelled. 
  • Not buy another LORAC palette until at least one is used up. 1 out then 1 in. Definitely my weak spot. That's one thing I feel FOMO for when it goes on sale. 
  • Continue reducing grocery target by $5/week until we find the sweet spot that gets us fed well without overbuying. Keep doing online ordering to be less enticed by wants and extras. Also use up pantry items to help out with this and have less to move/donate/toss at moving time.
  • Continue to participate in gift exchanges, etc as a fun outlet.

And I feel I've done well with them! Our grocery budget has been mostly in check. I think I restocked some sunday riley with the spring space NK goody bag (but honestly that was so long ago, LOL) and have done well with only restocks otherwise. I am starting to pick up on restocking spend because I've been working through tons of things, a good thing. I did recently re-VIB but I do buy moon juice supplements at sephora, my "actual" beauty spend for the year at sephora is under $75 and not far from that at ulta either. We were spending like crazy on the house but are finally "settled" as far as main living spaces go. 

That's so exciting. Way to achieve your goal @CC3616. Congrats on the new home!

@ShortErica Thank you! 

Congrats on the new home purchase! I love hearing stories like these that inspire me to stick with my budget. However, I don't blame you for incorporating some fun money now! You are almost there, and you definitely deserve some fun stuff within reason. I'm happy that met one goal and close to reaching the other.

@JiMi2006 Thanks so much! We are really happy and loving it here and it's nice to see the work transpire into something tangible 🙂 

Congratulations on your house, @CC3616 - that is an amazing feat! I am so very happy for you😊 glad you got a kick out of the stickers!

Thank you @eshoe ! Are you still using them or do you use any other planner tools? I got the snap in tracker for the life planner but we are so dynamic with things that I haven't found any weekly stickers that work well.

You know @CC3616 life changes so much. It worked until I adjusted my mindset. Now I just have leftover stickers.

June check-in: Bought some more masks this month but nowhere near my expenses from last month. I’m hoping to be even better in July. Considering it’s halfway through and I’ve only bought eye patches and makeup removing cleansers (which I’m out of), I’m pretty confident I’ll succeed. But who knows how those discount stores will tempt me?!

Totals for June 2019:

Makeup (no buy) - $0

Skincare (low buy) - $55.39

• Australian Gold Botanical Tinted Sunscreen SPF 50
  • Look At Me Hydrogel Eye Patch – Aloe Vera(5 pairs)
  • Yadah Cleansing nose pack
  • Holika Holika – Lemon (10 pack)
  • JJ Young – Pore Rosehip Mud Sheet Mask (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino Clearing (10 pack)
  • the Crème shop – Tumeric (5 pack)
  • Yadah aloe mask (10 pack)
  • Erno Laszlo – Firm & Lift 2 Step Mask x2
  • Erno Laszlo – Lighten & Brighten 2 Step Mask

Haircare (low buy) - $0

Totals for my year (November 2018-October 2019) to date:

Makeup (no buy) - $25.56

Spoiler

Prior purchases

• BareMinerals Mineral Veil Setting Powder x2

Skincare (low buy) - $388.85

Spoiler

Prior purchases

• CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser
  • CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
  • CeraVe PM (2 pack)
  • CeraVe Baby Lotion
  • Nivea Sunprotect Water Gel SPF 50 PA+++
  • Dr. Teal's Epsom Salt - Soothe & Sleep - Lavender
  • Dr. Teal's Epsom Salt - Restore & Replenish - Pink Himalayan
  • Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Jelly
  • Mediheal Mask Pack (10)
  • Biore Pore Strips
  • Australian Gold Botanical Tinted Sunscreen SPF 50
  • Garnier Micellar Water
  • Ulta Sea Kelp Sheet Mask
  • CVS Honey Dew and Chamomile Overnight Cream Facial Mask
  • Skyn Iceland Eye Gels 8 pack x2
  • Dr. Teal’s Epsom Salt - Shea Butter and Almond Oil
  • Cotton squares
  • Vichy Mineral 89 x2
  • Yadah aloe mask (10 pack)
  • Yadah collagen mask (10 pack)
  • Yadah rose mask (10 pack)
  • Look At Me Hydrogel Eye Patch – Green Tea (5 pairs)
  • esfolio Foot & Heel Peeling Mask
  • Ariul 7 Days Mask – Tea Tree (10 pack)
  • Crop Brightening Sheet Mask (5 pack)
  • Holika Holika – Damask Rose(10 pack)
  • Holika Holika – 100% Aloe (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino AC-Free (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino Lifting (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino Moisture (10 pack)
  • Rata & Co. – Replenishing Coconut and Seaweed (5 pack)
  • Oozoo Bear – Aurora Illuminating (5 pack)
  • Oozoo Bear – Black Space Pore Caring (5 pack)
  • Oozoo Bear – Water-Bang Hydrating (5 pack)
  • Yadah – Pore Care (12 pack)
  • Bawdy Butt Mask – Squeeze It

Haircare (low buy/smart buy) - $182.04

Spoiler

Prior purchases

• John Frieda Leave-In Conditioner Spray
  • John Frieda Curl Styling Spray
  • DevaCurl Wave Maker
  • DevaCurl Light Defining Gel
  • DevaCurl SuperCream
  • DevaCurl B'Leave-In
  • No Poo 32 oz
  • One Condition 32 oz
  • One Condition 12 oz
  • Coconut Supercream Deluxe Sample
  • Decadence Shampoo/Conditioner Sample Packets

Hopefully my late post still helps others. I am good on makeup and haircare so that should mean I just have to keep my skincare purchases in check.

I feel like you did really well!!! I also like how organized you are with tracking your purchases in categories.  @ShortErica 

Thanks @heartsmyface. My products had been taking up so much space so I'm trying to only buy what I need or will use before the end of the year if it's on sale. Minus face masks..I'm addicted.

RE: Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Good for you!! I know you can do this for July!

Two down. It’s great you only have one thing to watch 

Thanks @howconnie. I stocked up my haircare the end of last year and the beginning of this one. Now it has been testing and using all of the products to see what works for me. Then I'll hopefully know what performs and can search for if something is better once the low buy ends if I need to.

testing