Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

updated 12/31/19* The 2020 Thread is here 2020 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Hey all!  Welcome to Year 5 of the No/Low Buy thread 😲

Since 2019 is LITERALLY around the corner so I figured it was time to get this thread started.  The 2018 thread can be located here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/2018-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILI...

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

The 2017 OP and link:

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash:

Spoiler

Re: 2019 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@divaknits   Well at least you’re set for a while.  If you are going to splurge it may as well be on skincare:) 

Okay, haha, the darn Huda neon obsessions palettes are out and I am facing my first challenge.  I’m trying to pull neon pinks from palettes I already own.  Dying here.  I think I’m going to create a list of all the products that truly tempt me along the way so i can look back on them with pride/regret....we’ll see.  

If I really want something and it’s sold out I can always buy it at a premium on eBay🙃(this is what I’m telling myself) ghahhhhhh!   

@heartsmyface  I’m not sure if this helps but I got Neon Pink and I found the pinks underwhelming. They are more coral, in my opinion. (The purples are great, though.)

@PinkEvergreen, yeah tell me how bad they are.  I’m extra dying cause Wayne Goss is talking about them. I love that man.  I would buy his toenail clippings!  Okay maybe not that much but if he likes something I know i’ll love it.  Resisting the urge to watch his YouTube video on them.  

@heartsmyface  I’m a fan, too. I’m very interested to see what he has to say about them. 

Did you see Tati’s video on them? Girl made a hot mess with the Green palette, omg. It was not a lewk 😬

@PinkEvergreen  I haven’t yet.  I ‘power napped’ cause of a headache and slept the evening away so i’n up and needing entertainment.  It’s on my list.  

The good thing is I think I am over the initial hype of the palette and can give it a critical look now.  

I'm curious how many neon pinks you have @heartsmyface. While you are counting, maybe see if any YouTubers mention dupes that you may already own. You can do it @heartsmyface. I think a list is a good idea. Because even if you would buy, then you can track how many times you were able to stop vs. purchase. It would especially be neat to see if you are able to stop more over time or if price plays into it.

@ShortErica I ended up stopping looking for pinks in lieu of playing in some old palettes.  I pulled the UD electric palette which has a nice pink but then went for the orange in it😂. At least I distracted myself. Haha, I’m on official Day 1 and I almost caved.  😅

Almost caved > caving @heartsmyface so you're doing great. Plus orange is a good color to be distracted by.

I went crazy with masks. I was more or less sure I spent more total this month than the first 4 months of the year. Luckily I was wrong and only spent 50% of my previous months' total but still..eek! June I won’t be going mask crazy and hopefully will enjoy what I have. I did wonderful with the makeup no buy and am still working through my DevaCurl hair stuff to find what works for me.

Totals for May 2019:

Makeup (no buy) - $0

Skincare (low buy) - $117.37

• Look At Me Hydrogel Eye Patch – Green Tea (5 pairs)
  • esfolio Foot & Heel Peeling Mask
  • Ariul 7 Days Mask – Tea Tree (10 pack)
  • Crop Brightening Sheet Mask (5 pack)
  • Holika Holika – Damask Rose(10 pack)
  • Holika Holika – 100% Aloe (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino AC-Free (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino Lifting (10 pack)
  • Leaders Mediu – Amino Moisture (10 pack)
  • Rata & Co. – Replenishing Coconut and Seaweed (5 pack)
  • Oozoo Bear – Aurora Illuminating (5 pack)
  • Oozoo Bear – Black Space Pore Caring (5 pack)
  • Oozoo Bear – Water-Bang Hydrating (5 pack)
  • Yadah – Pore Care (12 pack)
  • Bawdy Butt Mask – Squeeze It

Haircare (low buy) - $0

Totals for my year (November 2018-October 2019) to date:

Makeup (no buy) - $25.56

Spoiler

Prior purchases

• BareMinerals Mineral Veil Setting Powder x2

Skincare (low buy) - $333.46

Spoiler

Prior purchases

• CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser
  • CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
  • CeraVe PM (2 pack)
  • CeraVe Baby Lotion
  • Nivea Sunprotect Water Gel SPF 50 PA+++
  • Dr. Teal's Epsom Salt - Soothe & Sleep - Lavender
  • Dr. Teal's Epsom Salt - Restore & Replenish - Pink Himalayan
  • Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Jelly
  • Mediheal Mask Pack (10)
  • Biore Pore Strips
  • Australian Gold Botanical Tinted Sunscreen SPF 50
  • Garnier Micellar Water
  • Ulta Sea Kelp Sheet Mask
  • CVS Honey Dew and Chamomile Overnight Cream Facial Mask
  • Skyn Iceland Eye Gels 8 pack x2
  • Dr. Teal’s Epsom Salt - Shea Butter and Almond Oil
  • Cotton squares
  • Vichy Mineral 89 x2
  • Yadah aloe mask 10 pack
  • Yadah collagen mask 10 pack
  • Yadah rose mask 10 pack

Haircare (low buy/smart buy) - $182.04

Spoiler

Prior purchases

• John Frieda Leave-In Conditioner Spray
  • John Frieda Curl Styling Spray
  • DevaCurl Wave Maker
  • DevaCurl Light Defining Gel
  • DevaCurl SuperCream
  • DevaCurl B'Leave-In
  • No Poo 32 oz
  • One Condition 32 oz
  • One Condition 12 oz
  • Coconut Supercream Deluxe Sample
  • Decadence Shampoo/Conditioner Sample Packets

It appears a good April did lead to more May spending which wasn’t what I anticipated. This was my worst month in terms of self-control. Marshall’s got the better of me. But with my spending, I also was able to share and that made me smile. I don’t plan to go quite as crazy in the future. But I’m not opposed to getting bargains and spreading some love with the BIC maskers.

@ShortErica I love the masking page and the ladies who participate there! At least with the masks you're set for a while and having something like the mask challenge can be great to keep focused on what you want to use and serve as a nice break from day-to-day chaos

Great way to make it positive @Brutalitops. I don't spend to a point that it hurts my everyday expenses and when it makes me and others happy it's got to be good for my health. 🙂

I think the first time you spread the love (like @heartsmyface so perfectly put it) that happens, @ShortErica. I was just SO excited to have others who liked to mask and talk about it that I wanted to share, too. It just feels more fun that way. Way more fun! 

@ShortErica 

skincare -$117. 37

spreading joy to others- priceless

I like how you’re keeping an accurate tally of your purchases.  

@heartsmyface I swear every other month I find I missed listing one thing and have to edit my post. But I'm doing a pretty good job and am proud of tracking it so far.

@ShortErica  you’re doing amazingly.  I think it’s great even if you have to edit here and there.  I want to adopt this habit!  

Thanks @heartsmyface!

My low buy for May was an epic FAIL! Hopefully I will do better in June🤞

@faeriegirl LOL not to worry!! I've been doing pretty poorly myself lately. After April I just totally fell off the wagon. Like @ShortErica Marshalls/Winners got the best of me lately! the selection has just been so good for makeup, skincare and masks... also active wear and other things i *probably* didn't need but picked up anyways.... i'm gonna restart for the second half of the year. clean slate!

Agh, I'm sorry to hear.. may June be an improvement. Sadl...

Agh, I'm sorry to hear.. may June be an improvement. Sadly, I can relate so I'll try to limit (as hard as that can be!)

@faeriegirl you will do better in June! What has been your biggest weakness with staying on track?

3 Replies
testing